• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dallas, Downtown, No Car

Margo

I'm attending a conference in Dallas this week, staying at the Adam's Mark. Is it too much to hope that I'll find a diner-type breakfast place and decent Tex-Mex within a 15 minute walk or via public transportation?

(I've tried searching this board with little luck, so please feel free to point me to relevant topics if this has come up before.)

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

You could actually hop on the DART rail and head to Cityplace station and catch the Uptown trolley there. The Trolley runs up and down McKinney Ave., an area chock full of restaurants. I'm partial to the Idle Rich, but it's by no means a "fine dining" establishment, but it's a great place for a beer. Hit up Breadwinners for breakfast. The food is good and reasonably priced.

There's also the West End and Victory Park, all accessible via DART rail. West End is pretty "meh", mostly chains, but Victory Park is the home to Craft, N9NE, Nove, Kenichi, etc. The original El Fenix is also nearby if you want some Tex-Mex.

And Kevin is right, walking to Deep Ellum from Adam's Mark is probably not the best choice, especially at night. Take a cab down there if you want to go.

Gear nerd and hash slinger

Great, that's helpful information. Thanks!

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

-Malcolm Dalglish

Isn't it also possible to DART to SMU, well across central expressway. But doesn't the DART end up in a shopping area? Mockinbird Station? Where i've eaten in a pretty good fish restaurant, Rockfish?

and if you had a little time you could walk to SMU, 2or 3 blocks to the new Meadows Museum.

Isn't it also possible to DART to SMU, well across central expressway.  But doesn't the DART end up in  a shopping area? Mockinbird Station? Where i've eaten in a pretty good fish restaurant, Rockfish?

and if you had a little time you could walk to SMU, 2or 3 blocks to the new Meadows Museum.

It is more like 8 blocks and almost a mile. And you have some major streets to navigate, but if you go to google maps and get directions - Mockingbird Station (which has a selection of restaurants) to Meadows Museum, they will even give you street views which is pretty cool. And after you hike back to Mockingbird Station, go across the street to the commercial building in front of Hotel Palomar (seriously cool hotel - location of the reopened Trader Vic's) and there is a champagne bar where you can get a taste or three. I do not remember the name of that place but worth a trip, especially if your refreshing from a hike.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

...there is a champagne bar where you can get a taste or three.  I do not remember the name of that place but worth a trip, especially if your refreshing from a hike.

Brut. It's a nice, relaxing place.

Gear nerd and hash slinger

My friend "discovered" Ross Avenue last night, but had disappointing Mexican. (Don't know the name of the place.) Any recommendations in that direction?

I, on the other hand, went to the Blue Fin (on Greenville, I believe) by taxi with a couple of people. While the food wasn't bad--actually, quite good--the atmosphere was chaotic for trying to converse. And I'd rather not spring for a $40 round-trip cab ride again.

Welcome to the world of junior humanities faculty. Our taste and self-image far exceeds our salary. :rolleyes:

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

-Malcolm Dalglish

margo.....If you want a great dinner within walking distance of the Adams Mark, you need to go to Stephen Pyles. I didn't mention it earlier because you said diner and tex-mex. http://www.stephanpyles.com/index.asp Entees are a bit pricey, but you can sit at the ceviche bar and order some apps and such that won't break your wallet. It is one of the better restaurants in the city. dress is business casual-ish.

as far as diner type food goes, the best I can offer is the All Good Cafe in Deep Ellum. It's not really walkable....and they don't open till 9am, but their breakfast is good, and their chicken fried steak is more than respectable.

http://www.allgoodcafe.com/

...there is a champagne bar where you can get a taste or three.  I do not remember the name of that place but worth a trip, especially if your refreshing from a hike.

Is Brut IN the hotel, or the small "strip mall" adjacent to the hotel?

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Is Brut IN the hotel, or the small "strip mall" adjacent to the hotel?

in the mall, between the entrance to the hotel and the entrance to Trader Vic's