• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Salad

Jaymes

"When boiling the spuds, some flavor from the liquid seems to infuse into the potatoes."

What are you boiling them in that imparts flavor to the potatoes????

My personal favorite potato salad is potato salad made with spuds from a cajun crawfish/crab/shrimp boil. They are highly seasoned with onion/cayenne/salt/lemon and whatever happens to be in whatever crab boil seasoning you are using.

Yes. And, as I said several posts back, if you're not doing the whole "boil" dinner, you can still boil your potatoes in a commercial crab/shrimp boil preparation, like Zatarains.

It really flavors those potatoes.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

It's the start of potato salad season along with BBQs and potlucks. I've read somewhere that steaming the potatoes is a "better" alternative to boiling and simmering the spuds, that they don't get as waterlogged.

So, here are a few questions for you potato salad mavens:

Does steaming really make that much difference compared to boiling and simmering the potatoes?

Are some potatoes better suited to one method or the other? I usually use Yukon Gold and Toots likes red potatoes.

When boiling the spuds, some flavor from the liquid seems to infuse into the potatoes. Does that happen when potatoes are steamed?

Will steaming result in a potato thats better able to absorb the flavors of the dressing?

Are any dressings better suited to one cooking method or the other?

Thanks! And happy potato salad days to ya ...

I'm not a potato salad maven, but I am a potato maven, so I'll leave the advice as to choice of potato to others more versed in the ways of potato salad, hot and cold.

As to the method of cooking your potatoes, not surprisingly given my username, I'd recommend using a pressure cooker (if you have one) as the best method to cook the potatoes. Its fast, it uses the least amount of liquid (no waterlogging) and if you're using flavorings, it keeps as much of the volatiles, the flavoring agents, in the cooking chamber as possible. I personally use the pressure cooker to force salt into my potatoes, regardless how I will ultimately prepare them. As was mentioned above, you can add a small amount of vinegar to the water to help reinforce the pectin in the potato cell walls and keep the potato pieces intact. In my admittedly non-scientific opinion (I can't prove it, its just personal observation), it also does the best job of getting that flavoring into the food. My second choice would be steaming, with a lid on top of the steamer, to hold as much of the steaming liquid flavorings in the pot as possible.

But if you were making a "boil" dinner, or say corned beef with carrots and potatoes, that would be a different thing. You'd probably want the potatoes boiled, and steeped in all those flavorings, even if the potatoes became more "waterlogged" as a result.

Shel, you and I have many of the same sources here in the east bay. My favorite potato for salad is the French fingerling, a red skin variety. Very available at the Berkeley farmers market all summer. The rest of the year I alternate between red or white waxy and YG for salads. I agree that the YG's hold up a bit less well, but I like the flavor; it's imortant not to overcook them for salads.YG's work well for hash too as long as you parboil and then chill them, so they can be cut into tiny cubes and they will then retain the shape. I've tasted almost all varieties of potatoes that are available at the farmers markets here in the east bay. Red Rose are good too. The variety I like least is the Russian Banana. The blue ones don't do much for me either.

And I agree that dressing them when warm or hot is beneficial, although my method is to just dress them with vinegar and a little salt, then let them cool before putting on the oil or other dressing components. Not sure whose direx I followed for that, but I've been doing it for years.

I make a potato salad which is based on sweet potatoes and I always roast the cubes potatoes first. Love roasted vegetables. :wub: :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I need to correct myself from upthread: the B reds are the smaller potatoes as Shel points out. I was thinking of the A reds which are the size of a white potato. It would appear that most red potatoes sold in my part of the country are Red Bliss potatoes, both the As and the Bs.

I also always dress the potatoes when they are hot and then let them cool before adding other ingredients. I learned this from reading Julia child's French potato salad recipes in "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" way back when Hector was a pup.

If possible look up your potato variety before buying, if you are concerned about the appearance of potato salad. I add vinegar to my water and use waxy potatoes. My potato salad looks like a bowl of miniature toy blocks. (I also use the dish to show off knife skills and have ingredients cubed in various sizes from brunoise to large dice.) For other people, it's not that important; I've seen potato salad that looked like mashed potatoes midway in progress.

Generally, waxy potatoes retain shape better and have a better texture cold than intermediate types, and definitely have better texture cold than high-starch types.

Yukon Gold is a type that is generally referred to as all-purpose because it is less waxy than regular waxy types like norland red and less starchy than say, a russet. It won't hold it's shape as well as most red potatoes, or other very waxy types. If roasted or baked, it won't be as fluffy and dry as a high-starch type. If you like them, and they give you an appearance you like, then use them.

Yes, there are intermediate-type all-purpose red potatoes, like the very delicious, highly-rated Sangre. They won't stay as good looking as a waxier type when boiled, but they are very tasty. You need to research your reds before assuming they are super-waxy.

Shel -- you may want to consider boiling the potatoes whole and unpeeled. if the potatoes are small enough (small or medium-size is best), this method will work.

this link explains in more detail -- http://www.thekitchn.com/cooking-basics-how-to-boil-pot-64716

the advantage of this method is that the potatoes will all cook evenly and at the same rate, and not be as water-logged as if you had peeled and sliced them.

I always roast the potatoes. Water from the potatoes is evaporated during the roasting and makes for a much more intense potato flavor. Easy to peel as well.

Stop Family Violence

Darienne

I make a potato salad which is based on sweet potatoes and I always roast the cubes potatoes first.

Id be very interested in your Rx. Im trying to move away from white potatoes to other veg.

Kohlrabi and Sunchokes make great fauxtato salads Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I mentioned over in the "boiled or steamed" potato thread that I thought I had posted my Cajun potato salad recipe here in this thread. Did a search and discovered that I hadn't.

So I thought I would:

Cajun Potato Salad

6 eggs

3 lbs red potatoes

4 oz crab/shrimp boil, like Zatarain's - I like the liquid one best

1 C Mayo (I like Duke's)

finely chopped sweet pickles, or sweet pickle relish to taste (2-3Tbls)

Salt, pepper, paprika to taste

Put the eggs and the rinsed and scrubbed (if they need it) potatoes into a large stockpot. Fill with water to cover a little over. Add the crab/shrimp boil and bring to boil over high heat. Cook until potatoes are tender (about 20 min). Drain into colander. Peel the eggs and potatoes. Chop the eggs and potatoes and put into a large bowl. Add mayo, pickles, and salt and pepper to taste. Add a little more mayo if the salad seems too dry. Sprinkle top with paprika. Serve warm or cold.

Of course, if there are other things you really love in your potato salad, like onions or celery or whatever, you can sure add those, too. But our family likes this more simple recipe best.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Sunny weather has finally decided to come to Eastern, Washington after the third wettest Spring in recorded weather history. And with the arrival of Summer, I thought it might be a good idea to re-generate our discussion of your best Potato Salad recipes.

My potato salad starts with homemade mayonnaise. You can find my recipe at the mayonnaise topic

here.

My potato salad has a Mediterranean accent. I use baby red potatoes, dry-cured Nicoise olives, haricot vert, diced red bell pepper, chives, basil and oregano. I prefer raw red bell pepper because I found roasted red pepper too soft in texture and I didn't like how it turned the color of the mayonnaise red. I toss the potato salad with a good amount of the mayonnaise. This is definately not the traditional mayonnaise and vinegar-based potato salad my Mother made when I was a kid.

attachicon.gifMayonnaise and Potato Salad 082.JPG

This potato salad is also good with grilled zuchinni, tuna, grilled chicken and as a side dish for grilled flank steak.

attachicon.gifMayonnaise and Potato Salad 103.JPG

I remember reading this recipe back when it was originally posted, and intended to make it then, but never got around to it.

We've been invited to a Mediterranean-themed potluck coming up next weekend and I've been wondering what to take.

I definitely think this is just the thing!

I always roast the potatoes. Water from the potatoes is evaporated during the roasting and makes for a much more intense potato flavor. Easy to peel as well.

Hmmm ... that's an interesting suggestion. I may play with that idea. Any suggestions for technique? Thanks!

... Shel

Shel -- you may want to consider boiling the potatoes whole and unpeeled.

I've thought about doing that but was concerned that the flavor and salt of the water might not get through to the meat. Toots, OTOH, always boils her red potatoes with the skin on, but she doesn't add anything to the water that might enhance the flavor.

... Shel

Yukon Gold is a type that is generally referred to as all-purpose because it is less waxy than regular waxy types like norland red and less starchy than say, a russet. It won't hold it's shape as well as most red potatoes, or other very waxy types. If roasted or baked, it won't be as fluffy and dry as a high-starch type. If you like them, and they give you an appearance you like, then use them.

Yes, there are intermediate-type all-purpose red potatoes, like the very delicious, highly-rated Sangre. They won't stay as good looking as a waxier type when boiled, but they are very tasty. You need to research your reds before assuming they are super-waxy.

Good points. I've never had trouble with YGs holding their shape. In fact, my YGs hold their shape better than some of the reds Toots uses. Since there are so many red varieties, it's possible that Toots has sometimes used some that are less desireable for boiling and for potato salad.

... Shel

I also always dress the potatoes when they are hot and then let them cool before adding other ingredients.

A time proven technique, regardless of the potato used, and one that, IMO, should be stressed. Makes a big difference!

... Shel

I make a potato salad which is based on sweet potatoes

That sounds great! We like sweet potatoes and yams. Any suggestions or recipe ideas?

... Shel

I make a potato salad which is based on sweet potatoes

That sounds great! We like sweet potatoes and yams. Any suggestions or recipe ideas?

Why, here's an entire thread!!

"Sweet Potato Salad, your favorite!"

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/142838-sweet-potato-salad-your-favorite/

Edited by Jaymes (log)

Shel -- you may want to consider boiling the potatoes whole and unpeeled.

I've thought about doing that but was concerned that the flavor and salt of the water might not get through to the meat. Toots, OTOH, always boils her red potatoes with the skin on, but she doesn't add anything to the water that might enhance the flavor.

whether you elect to add salt to the water you cook the potatoes in is a matter of preference. when I make potato salad, I tend to salt in stages. since potatoes absorb salt over time, it's important to taste as you go along so that you know how much to adjust in the end.

btw, this technique of boiling vegetables whole can be extended to other things as well, such as for instance, beets and turnips.

I like potato salad made of baby Charlottes roasted with olive oil, lemon juice and lots of garlic, left to cool somewhat and added to roughly chopped watercress and finely chopped celery, cucumber and black olives, so the vegetables and potatoes are about 50% of the salad each.

As to the method of cooking your potatoes, not surprisingly given my username, I'd recommend using a pressure cooker (if you have one) as the best method to cook the potatoes [...] My second choice would be steaming, with a lid on top of the steamer, to hold as much of the steaming liquid flavorings in the pot as possible.

I don't have a pressure cooker, and am not considering getting one. I was hoping to get some more info re: steaming vs boiling. Thanks!

... Shel

My only experience with fingerlings (not for potato salad) was disappointing. I've got two more potato salad BBQs coming up, plus a batch I want to make for myself. I'll try the French fingerlings ... I'll be near the Rose and Shattuck market on Thursday, and will look for them. If I can't fine them, I'll get some more YGs. They are a known quantity and my results with them are quite satisfactory.

My favorite potato for salad is the French fingerling, a red skin variety. Very available at the Berkeley farmers market all summer.

... Shel