• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

George and Dragon

Isn't there a thread for this place already? I could have sworn I had reviewed it before? Well I can't find the thread so here is a review form march last year:

I had a good lunch here on Sunday. Nice pub with the restaurant (proper pub feel though) set high in the rafters and requiring a bit of ducking and diving to move around, a great setting.

Started with an acceptable game terrine which could have done with a little more gaminess but was good texturally. The other half had a squash ravioli - good firm pasta with a creamy sauce a little heavy on the garlic. The roast beef was an unadvertised cut and I had company so forgot to ask, cooked medium rare it had a good strong flavour and had clearly been hung well. Good greens, roast potatoes and yorkshire puddings to accompany. Very good indeed.

Tarte Tatin wasn't , it was a slice of apple tart with caramel sauce, (restaurants please stop doing this!!!!!), Crème caramel was decent enough and served with caramelised pears (I think). Good cheeses as well.

I believe a lot of the ingredients are sourced locally which, with the current fashion of trying to be carbon neutral, is to be applauded. Overall well worth a visit, I hope to return to try the fantastic looking fish and chips!

And here is a review from Yesterday:

Another great lunch in Speldhurst yesterday. Homemade bread with lescure butter was excellent, the homemade hummus was a little overpowered by raw garlic and perhaps a little bitter. A starter of Salamis and local cheeses was very good, nice Chorizo, and Parma but the cheeses were in excellent condition, annoyingly I forget what they are even after asking They came with nice pickles and a little salad.

Main course of venison casserole with Madeira and Thyme seemed to have had the thyme replaced with tarragon and was lovely full of wintry veg and falling apart venison. Served with this (as are all the Sunday lunch options) was various steamed Brassica leaves, nicely seasoned and excellent roast potatoes that showed no signs of having been reheated.

I was too stuffed for pudding after eating too much of the bread

Well worth a drive.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"