• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking is Sexy if you are a Guy

annecros

Maybe the tide is turning a bit:

Hello to gastro bores

Now, apparently, there are gastrosexuals.

These are men who have discovered the joys of cooking and spend hours in the kitchen rustling up a little something and telling anyone who’ll listen all about it.

I suppose us ladies should be grateful.

It’s just that a pound to a penny your gastrosexual will use six pans when one will do and then leave you with the washing up.

Now, that's my darling husband. :biggrin:

It's funny that you posted this. Someone sent it to me yesterday and I wondered, after I read it...

If the relationship goes bad, do you chalk it up to Gastrointerruptus?

Just wondering.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

It's funny that you posted this. Someone sent it to me yesterday and I wondered, after I read it...

If the relationship goes bad, do you chalk it up to Gastrointerruptus?

Just wondering.

I think using six pans, when one would do, and leaving the washing up to another, would define "gastrointerruptus."

After all, it does quash things. Someone will be too busy to do another thing.

Someone once told me that men are a lot like cats.... they'll completely ignore you until they want to be petted, then they won't leave you alone until you pet them, then they'll ignore you again. Yes, it's sexist, but in my experience it generally proves true. So if a man were to cook for me, to do such a thoughful and nurturing thing for me, then I'd know he actually cared. (I've yet to meet that guy.)

I don't know if cooking is sexy, but being cooked for does give people warm fuzzies and make them feel comforted. I think that's why there are so many people who watch food network but don't actually cook the food.... they just like watching somebody cook for them and talk to them while they're doing it. It makes people happy.

I'm sure I could probably make buttercream and a spatula really sexy given the right audience.... :raz:

Someone once told me that men are a lot like cats.... they'll completely ignore you until they want to be petted, then they won't leave you alone until you pet them, then they'll ignore you again. Yes, it's sexist, but in my experience it generally proves true. So if a man were to cook for me, to do such a thoughful and nurturing thing for me, then I'd know he actually cared. (I've yet to meet that guy.)

I don't know if cooking is sexy, but being cooked for does give people warm fuzzies and make them feel comforted. I think that's why there are so many people who watch food network but don't actually cook the food.... they just like watching somebody cook for them and talk to them while they're doing it. It makes people happy.

I'm sure I could probably make buttercream and a spatula really sexy given the right audience....  :raz:

Well, he won't leave me alone if I pet him or not! And, sigh, he does insist on cooking for me from time to time. It is endearing.

Fresser, the Gastro Bores are just riding on the coattails of your successful seduction strategy. They don't quite get it, I think.

I think all of this may somehow explain the whole Sandra Lee Conundrum. She's sexy, she cooks for us, very few people are going to cook what she presents. Or maybe, I am just looking at it through a foodie prism.

Fresser, the Gastro Bores are just riding on the coattails of your successful seduction strategy. They don't quite get it, I think.

So does this make me a Gastro-Stud? :laugh:

Cooking as a courtship ritual is more fun than cleaning, but I think the meticulous cleanup really wows the ladies. Once after a Hanukkah party where latkes were a fryin', I tore up the hostess's stove to clean up all the grease splatters. I pried off the stovetop knobs, grill pans and other hardware to suds up and clean everything. The hostess remarked, "I have a cleaning lady that doesn't clean up this well!"

Too bad she was married. :sad:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

I find this discussion pretty interesting. For one thing I grew up with a die hard, burn your bra feminist mother who never stepped a foot in the kitchen. I grew up cooking because she never did.

Now that I am "all grown up" as they say, I cook because I love it. I build furniture, lift weights, weld and can whip up a cake or great steak dinner in no time. And I am proud of that fact. The whole feminist movement was about choices And I think the generation of women coming up is still grappling with what to do with the choices given. I am so very grateful for all the women that struggled before me so I can have those choices.

With that being said, there is nothing sexier than a man that can cook. NOTHING. I was watching that show "the next food network star" and Bobby Flay was saying at the judge's table, "I don't understand that thing with food and romance". I turned to my husband and said, "theres someone without imagination, I don't understand how anyone can't". There is a deph and sensuality (sp?) to cooking and eating. The act of feeding someone, and when the feeding is the good stuff. THAT is hot.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

And I'd say of the ones who do cook, most of us had stay at home moms. I've this theory that having a stay-at-home mom who can cook means that you're more likely to be able to cook.

well, this may shoot your theory out of the water. i cook and cook fairly well yet my mom worked full time from the time i was 2. my sister-in-law, julie, thinks cooking means opening a tube of refridgerated dough to make brownies or cookies and at age 40 i have just taught her how to make macaroni and cheese from scratch. her mom once defined her job as "raising j. r.'s children" and was a stay at home mom.

go figure

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites