• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is Calphalon"Select Savings" ?

Malkavian

Was shopping for my new kitchen today, mostly picking up odds and ends (funnels, pepper mill, etc) but I did intend to make at least a perusal of the pots and pans section of the store to see if anything caught my eye.

Long story short, after some slightly glassy eyed wandering through racks of all-clad, calphalon and so forth, I ended up with a Cal "Select Savings" stainless 2.5qt saucepan.

What I'm curious about is the fact that it rang in at a little over half the price of comparable products --I paid about 40 for this, vs around 100 for the other smaller stainless items. The corporate website makes no differentiation but the prices they list fall in line with what I saw at a retail location.

I'm not particularly concerned I bought something sub-par really--I'm sure what I got will suffice for anything I'll likely to need it for, just trying to figure out what's up with the price break.

I think it's just a promotion, from time to time they do that for an item or another in one of their lines. They're not sub-par in any-way, they're the same product but it's more of a manufacturer sale if you wish (as opposed to a store special)

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

Caphalon has alot of different "models" of their cookware, from decent to flimsy. They discontinued their professional line a few years ago as they started mass marketing themselves. They go from Cadillac to Chevy.

I don't know in particular which you have. The weight of the piece is often a good determinate. The stuff Target sells is their least expensive, while Bed Bath and Beyond and Williams-Sonoma sell their better stuff.