• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Houston restaurant question

cheesecurdsinparadise

In Houston tonight and tomorrow, looking for restaurant recommendations. Read all the posts from autumn of last year and about the only place people people are in agreement about seems to be la Dolce Vita, but I ate at Arco Doro last night so I don't need any more Italian. I'm curious about anything that would be considered a truly iconic establishment, and especially about anything that might be considered regional cuisine (don't know what this entails in Houston--Tex/Mex, Chili joints, Pit BBQ???).

In Houston tonight and tomorrow, looking for restaurant recommendations.  Read all the posts from autumn of last year and about the only place people people are in agreement about seems to be la Dolce Vita, but I ate at Arco Doro last night so I don't need any more Italian.  I'm curious about anything that would be considered a truly iconic establishment, and especially about anything that might be considered regional cuisine (don't know what this entails in Houston--Tex/Mex, Chili joints, Pit BBQ???).

Being shameless, you could consider looking at my last Houston visit. Of the iconic, I'd consider the original Ragin' Cajun on Richmond, and the Breakfast Klub wasn't bad for the morning. For regional, I enjoyed Hugo's, and the steak frites at the Montrose Cafe across the street was a great meal.

I liked Tony's, but a lot of people recommended Mark's and I didn't have time.

Oh, and Reef is getting very good reviews (and I missed out on it as I got delayed down South).

Please post your findings! Houston has a lot to offer, it's just hard finding it sometimes.

Cheers,

Peter

Peter has good suggestions--I have been to Marks and it is superb. Iconic?--go to Cafe Annie for the creator of southwestern cuisine. For brunch tomorrow go to Kinney & Ziggy's right across the street. Cafe Annie's bar is great for late nite.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.