• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help in Alexandria area for special meal...please

Shmily

Hi...We live in New Jersey and are going to visit a cousin who is turning 90 and another of our party is turning 65 and 2 others have a 25th anniversary...and 5 or 6 of us will go out to eat. We love New American(interesting and imaginative preparations) or seafood and want to be able to order a la carte. Here are some of the suggestions we were given and we are looking for comments and specific suggestions and/or experiences: Restaurant Eve (Bistro), Hook, 2941, Cushion's Eat Place, Oceanaire, Blacksalt Fish Market, Bazins on Church....other names are welcome...we just want a WONDERFUL meal... :smile::biggrin:

Hi...We live in New Jersey and are going to visit a cousin who is turning 90 and another of our party is turning 65 and 2 others have a 25th anniversary...and 5 or 6 of us will go out to eat.  We love New American(interesting and imaginative preparations)  or seafood and want to be able to order a la carte. Here are some of the suggestions we were given and we are looking for comments and specific suggestions and/or experiences:   Restaurant Eve (Bistro), Hook, 2941, Cushion's Eat Place, Oceanaire, Blacksalt Fish Market, Bazins on Church....other names are welcome...we just want a WONDERFUL meal... :smile:  :biggrin:

I love Eve and couldn't recommend it more! I'll also throw something out there that you and your guests might enjoy, and it flies under the radar on foodie boards-The Grille at The Morrison House.

It fits all of your criteria and while The Grille has a talented chef who focuses on local ingredients/American cuisine, it remains underappreciated. There is a nice bar and lounge area to enjoy before or after, and the English style Inn is just gorgeous. Valet parking as you pull up (or at least the last time I went :wink: )

http://www.morrisonhouse.com/mrr-dining/index.html

Edited by monavano (log)

Hi...We live in New Jersey and are going to visit a cousin who is turning 90 and another of our party is turning 65 and 2 others have a 25th anniversary...and 5 or 6 of us will go out to eat.  We love New American(interesting and imaginative preparations)  or seafood and want to be able to order a la carte. Here are some of the suggestions we were given and we are looking for comments and specific suggestions and/or experiences:  Restaurant Eve (Bistro), Hook, 2941, Cushion's Eat Place, Oceanaire, Blacksalt Fish Market, Bazins on Church....other names are welcome...we just want a WONDERFUL meal... :smile:  :biggrin:

I love Eve and couldn't recommend it more! I'll also throw something out there that you and your guests might enjoy, and it flies under the radar on foodie boards-The Grille at The Morrison House.

It fits all of your criteria and while The Grille has a talented chef who focuses on local ingredients/American cuisine, it remains underappreciated. There is a nice bar and lounge area to enjoy before or after, and the English style Inn is just gorgeous. Valet parking as you pull up (or at least the last time I went :wink: )

http://www.morrisonhouse.com/mrr-dining/index.html

thank you SO much for the suggestions..will share when we decide...we are going in April... :smile::smile:

Of all the laces mentioned, only Eve is actually in Alexandria.  But don't go to the Bistro, go to the tasting room.

Is the food different in the Tasting Room than the Bistro..I thought the big difference was being able to order a la carte rather than a complete dinner?? Thanks :smile:

Of all the laces mentioned, only Eve is actually in Alexandria.  But don't go to the Bistro, go to the tasting room.

Is the food different in the Tasting Room than the Bistro..I thought the big difference was being able to order a la carte rather than a complete dinner?? Thanks :smile:

There's not a whole lot of overlap between the Bistro and the Tasting Room IIRC. Perhaps Busboy didn't pick up on you desire to order a la carte. The food from the bar to the Bistro to the Tasting Room is fantastic. You could be blown away in any setting.

Unless all of your party is open to game, organ meats, caviar etc...I would let them have more control over their meal. Chef Armstrong does all of the above with great expertise, but if it's not your thing, it's not your thing.

Take a look at the sample menus on Eve's website.

There's not a whole lot of overlap between the Bistro and the Tasting Room IIRC. Perhaps Busboy didn't pick up on you desire to order a la carte. The food from the bar to the Bistro to the Tasting Room is fantastic. You could be blown away in any setting.

Unless all of your party is open to game, organ meats, caviar etc...I would let them have more control over their meal. Chef Armstrong does all of the above with great expertise, but if it's not your thing, it's not your thing.

Take a look at the sample menus on Eve's website.

The problem is that some of our party has more sophisticated taste than others...so the Bistro might be perfect...thanks a lot... :biggrin::biggrin:

Has anyone eaten in Domaso?? or know anything about the food?? Thanks,.. :smile:

Domaso has been flying under the radar. It's been getting good notes here and there, but the Washingtonian didn't like it too much.

Heck, if you're going to Rosslyn, you may as well go into Georgetown and eat at Hook, it's just across the river. You may want to avoid prime time unless your guests enjoy "high energy" scenes." 6:30 reservations are great because that's when rush hour parking ends and you can always get a spot (but traffic in the Alexandria/Rosslyn/Georgetown area is miserable, so plan extra time if you're traveling by car).

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Has anyone eaten in Domaso?? or know anything about the food?? Thanks,.. :smile:

Domaso has been flying under the radar. It's been getting good notes here and there, but the Washingtonian didn't like it too much.

Heck, if you're going to Rosslyn, you may as well go into Georgetown and eat at Hook, it's just across the river. You may want to avoid prime time unless your guests enjoy "high energy" scenes." 6:30 reservations are great because that's when rush hour parking ends and you can always get a spot (but traffic in the Alexandria/Rosslyn/Georgetown area is miserable, so plan extra time if you're traveling by car).

I appreciate the suggestion... :smile::smile:

I just made reservations at Hook...thank you very much for the suggestion. :smile::smile: