• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pink coloring in frozen lobster meat

RachelAnn

We serve west Australian lobster tail where I work, and we noticed today that some of the tails had some pink discoloration. I know pigmentation in scallops varies, so I wonder if this is similar or if it has to do with the freezing conditions of the tails? Does anyone know if this is something we should be wary of?

We serve west Australian lobster tail where I work, and we noticed today that some of the tails had some pink discoloration.  I know pigmentation in scallops varies, so I wonder if this is similar or if it has to do with the freezing conditions of the tails?  Does anyone know if this is something we should be wary of?

I can't speak for frozen lobster tails, but fresh lobster picks up some pink coloration (not discoloration) along the edges when it is cooked. The pink is just on the surface. It may be bleeding from the shell pigmentation, but that's only a guess.

Jim

This meat is raw and is supposedly flash frozen. The most info I have found is that it could have been chilled for a while to loosen the membrane that holds the meat in the shell. The membrane releases pink pigmentation when it disintegrates. It seems strange that there is so little info on the web about this!