• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

OpenTable

Pacific Rim Grille

Hi, I am considering online reservation system provided by: OpenTable. Have you had any experience with this system? It seems user friendly with attractive features for restauranteur. I got verbal quote for a "mothly fee" of $250 to have the system in place (plus reservation costs per table). Now, I am sure that it does cost to maintain the system and upgrade software on an ongoing basis. I realize that there are commission fees etc. However it looked a bit steep to rent a touchscreen computer with software for this price. I mean - can't you lease to own brand new pentium 5thousand billion giga hertz computer with Windows Vista 7th generation and a flat screen display panel size of 6 football fields for the cost of a happy meal?

Wow... $3000 a year plus userfees?? You could probably have a computer geek code you something in MySql for your website that would do the same thing (slot customers into available tables and send a conf to the Maitre'D and customer) for the same price.

Wow... $3000 a year plus userfees?? You could probably have a computer geek code you something in MySql for your website that would do the same thing (slot customers into available tables and send a conf to the Maitre'D and customer) for the same price.

Well yes that's the number I got however it was verbal and also with "perks" - still seems like a big waste of hard earned cash

I very briefly looked over there website. It doesn't appear that they allow the option of providing your own hardware. I would imagine this is done on purpose.

Yeah, no option for getting your own touch screen. Still I am sure they have to pay for tech support, R&D, sales, and so on... Given that you can get a comp for peanuts these days where does the rest go?

I think it depends on how much you'll use it. The obvious benefits are not only allowing your guests to book online, but being part of the open table website (many diners simply go to the site and see which restaurants are available on it. IMO though, the real benefits are the organization capabilities in regards to database management and running the door. this only works if you a) recommend resos, and b) really want to utilize the software. I personally love it and think it's worth every penny

Sandy Levine
The Oakland Art Novelty Company

sandy@TheOaklandFerndale.com www.TheOaklandFerndale.com

www.facebook.com/ArtNoveltyCompany twitter: @theoakland

As a customer, I love Open Table and use it frequently when traveling. Unless there is a specific restaurant that I absolutely want to dine at, I will use OT to assess my options. If a restaurant is not on there I will not usually consider it unless, as I mentioned, the restaurant is really a specific reason for the trip. All else being equal though, I will always choose an OT restaurant over one that isn't.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

There is an older thread over here that is probably still at least somewhat relevant. The upshot is that diners generally love it, myself included. When traveling I generally only consider OT restaurants, since there are typically many good ones to choose from and it's easy to navigate and reserve. I cannot speak to how well it functions on the restaurant's side.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

And again - who says Maitre'D? are thou OpenT?

Huh?

As a customer, I love Open Table and use it frequently when traveling. Unless there is a specific restaurant that I absolutely want to dine at, I will use OT to assess my options. If a restaurant is not on there I will not usually consider it unless, as I mentioned, the restaurant is really a specific reason for the trip. All else being equal though, I will always choose an OT restaurant over one that isn't.

That goes for me too. A favorite restaurant recently dropped OT. We dine there much less often now.

Who wants to get busy signals or be put on hold when OT is so easy?

That 3K sounds like a lot to me as well, but balanced against the cost of even one PT reservations person it is actually cheap and gives vastly better customer service. OT never gets the flu and calls in sick, OT is never cranky or has bad phone manners. OT doesn't put the phones on hold so they can catch a smoke or talk on their cell phone. OT is the kind of computerized service that actually makes it cheaper and more efficient to do business.