• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sneaky Product Downsizing

Toliver

"Cans" is a terrible way of measuring, so it's hard to feel too bad about that one.

The price of goods and services goes up over time. This just how the world works. Whether they shrink the can, raise the price, or do both, is immaterial. It's just how things are.

I have noticed some national OJ brands now offering 1.75 litre or 55oz cartons instead of 2qts. Thankfully Trader Joes has not gone down this road and still is a good price. The size of a square of TP is also shrinking.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

For our food packaging solutions at our dairy we decided on the completely opposite response to the issue of cost pressures. We actually increased our packs and unit sizes. We went from 5 1/3 oz (3 to the pound) fresh cheese logs to 6 oz logs. We went from 3 lb wholesale tubs of fresh cheese to 4 lb tubs. We discontinued wholesale 4-packs of logs and began offering 5-packs.

This made real sense for us because wrapping/packaging/labeling costs are a significant portion of our expenses. When we found that we could squeeze 4 lbs of product into the original tub we used for 3 lbs, it was like cutting our costs by 25%. By moving to 5-packs instead of 4-packs we are using lots fewer labels (20%) and packing material. At 25-40 cents per package that starts to add up pretty quickly.

At the same time we made the packaging changes we also had a price increase so some education was in order. Chefs used to paying $33 per tub of cheese were then paying $48 but we didn't lose a single account, despite the initial "sticker shock".

I understand that the pressures of competing in a more price-sensitive part of the market might tempt one into using these smaller-at-same-price strategies but they seem short-sighted. Who do they think they are fooling and how long do they think they can do it? Perhaps because "everybody's doing it" they feel compelled. I think it's a poor response on many levels, but what do I know?

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

My Blog: "The Kitchen Chronicles"

BMR on FaceBook

"The Flavor of the White Mountains"

Most grocery stores display PPU cost in small print next to the total price. Just sayin.

Yes, and frequently, those per-unit costs are wrong, or they are not in the unit that I would prefer to have them in. So, having a price book is very handy.

One can also go low-tech and use a notebook and a calculator.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

I find it odd that one of the rationales for smaller packaging is that it is 'greener'. If the smaller package contains less food, forcing people to buy 5 or 6 smaller packages to yield the same amount of product as 4 of the previous size, is it really greener?

Last bag of C&H sugar I bought was 4 pounds instead of 5. WTF....? A bit higher price, as well, if I remember correctly.

And I did look. The store brands were also 4 pounds, and not 5. It's such a scam, and it makes me ill. But it's not like you can *NOT* buy sugar. Not if you cook and/or bake....

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I think the grand prize for shrinkage has to go to the show polish manufacturers. At one time in the past, a can of wax polish was about 3 ounces, with a lid that fit down over the base; the polish pretty much filled the base. Then they came up with a new can design; the base now had a rim embossed all the way around and was shallower, but the lid fit down over the base and rested against the rim, so that the total height of the container was the same (just lots more air space between the top of the polish and the lid). Then they came up with a new form for the base that elevated the bottom of the can a little (in some it was domed, others a flat bottom except for a small space around the circumference) and reduced the volume further. The last can I got was 1 1/8 oz., but they may have found a way to reduce that further. They're still the same height and diameter, though.

I notice that the old 8 ounce yogurt has now often morphed into a 6 ounce and in some cases even into a 4 ounce. Great for people who really don't like yogurt, I guess. :smile:

Dick in Northbrook, IL

• 2 months later...

The downsizing continues...

There are now three less cookies in a regular full-sized package of Oreos. :angry:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I'm with those who wish the packages would remain the same size, and the price increase, rather than shrinking the package.

It would make life simpler.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.