• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sake no hana

gagit

hi all, Has anybody gone to Sake no hana . i will be coming to London soon and looking to go there depending on your reviews and comments.Restaurant Magazine gives it a go except the 30 pound glasses of champagne.

i've been a couple of times and can't wait to go back again. drink sake not champers and you're laughing.

my bill for lunch was about £85 for two. dinner for two was £140 with including a £42 bottle of sake (but not service).

if you're into the big showy offy wagyu dishes then yes it will top £200

and there were no oligarchs in when i was in, just regular folk having a pleasant meal with partners or colleagues. i think it's been misrepresented in the press (based on my two experiences anyway...)

i've been a couple of times and can't wait to go back again. drink sake not champers and you're laughing.

my bill for lunch was about £85 for two. dinner for two was £140 with including a £42 bottle of sake (but not service).

if you're into the big showy offy wagyu dishes then yes it will top £200

and there were no oligarchs in when i was in, just regular folk having a pleasant meal with partners or colleagues. i think it's been misrepresented in the press (based on my two experiences anyway...)

ok lunch it is then thanks. how does it compare to umu?

Giles Coren of The Times reviews it here.      I read his column most weeks and i can't remember a much more vitriolic review than this one!!

Chilean Seabass is also known as Black Cod? Is it? I thought Black Cod was Sablefish and Chilean Seabass was Toothfish? :unsure:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Giles Coren of The Times reviews it here.      I read his column most weeks and i can't remember a much more vitriolic review than this one!!

Chilean Seabass is also known as Black Cod? Is it? I thought Black Cod was Sablefish and Chilean Seabass was Toothfish? :unsure:

I believe chilien seabass and black cod are very different

We went for lunch a few weeks ago and thought it was great. Yes the space is difficult but on a sunny day it's actually stunning in a minimalistic way. The service couldn't have been friendlier or more relaxed and the food was on the whole fantastic (the only let down was fishballs and tofu that you cooked yourself in a pot of fish stock at your table... I'm always suspicious of food I have to cook myself). The menu structure wasn't too difficult to navigate but the portions varied wildly - the last dish was a pot roast of blackleg chicken which was HUGE. Luckily we are greedy.

Just looked back at the bank account and the damage was £128 for two inc. service (and some sake) so I suppose it is quite pricey but we didn't feel ripped off.

I believe chilien seabass and black cod are very different

Glad to see a National Restaurant critic with such a thorough knowledge of the product he is reporting on. :rolleyes:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

• 4 years later...

Went there the other night and really enjoyed it. The 'space' is clearly difficult but they have made it quite interesting. The sleek, shiny black entrance lobby, narrow dark escalators up to the light airy wooden dining room with jenga style decor will not be to everyone's taste but I quite liked it. The restaurant was busy as was the sushi counter. The service excellent, friendly, knowledgeable and attentive without being all over you.

The food was standard Japanese with a slight twist. The prawn tempura was ok, nothing special. The tuna tartare was a steak tartare look alike and excellent and the soft shell crab with mango sushi was one of the nicest dishes I have had. Stir fried asparagus was a nice mix of green and white with sesame seeds and went down well with rib eye steak and spices with steamed rice. The fresh fruit platter to finish was ok, interesting mix but some of it just a little to interesting!

They did not try to push us to order to much food, in fact we could have done with one more!

Cocktails were £10 each which is ok for this sort of venue although a £42 bottle of Gavi was a little over priced. The bill inc a pre added 13% service charge came to £185 for two people but this did inc 2 cocktails to start, a bottle of wine and 2 after dinner cocktails.

Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD