• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

4 lbs of beef tenderloin trim-what to do

chezcherie

So, after 4 Valentine's classes, and 40 happy couples, we have a lot of trim left over from some nice tenderloins (which we wrapped, along with caramelized onions, in puff, and served with a dried cherry-port sauce). I know I can stir-fry it, but I'm looking for something else to do to use it up. Since the meat is so tender, braising seems unnecessary, and not the best use. All ideas happily considered. Thanks!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Stroganoff?

My first thought, too. In the resturant that was my first choice of what to do with the scraps.

Once had a young know-it-all relief cook. I left him a note to use the trimmings. Idiot ground it into burger. :hmmm::shock:

Stroganoff?

My first thought, too. In the resturant that was my first choice of what to do with the scraps.

Once had a young know-it-all relief cook. I left him a note to use the trimmings. Idiot ground it into burger. :hmmm::shock:

If it was a good burger - why not? Rather a good burger than a bad steak.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Once had a young know-it-all relief cook. I left him a note to use the trimmings. Idiot ground it into burger. :hmmm:  :shock:

I'm partly siding with the "idiot" on that one (the disclaimer being that that probably wouldn't be my first choice in a restaurant situation, there are definitely more profitable ways to use them up.). Tenderloin trimmings make nice burgers depending how you like your burgers. I'm not a fan of the super-thick meatloaf-on-a-bun type of burgers. I'd rather use a couple thinner patties than one big thick one, I like a high crusty surface to interior ratio. A couple coarse-ground tenderloin patties cooked super hot and quick to char the outside and get medium rare-ish inside with some good cheese, mushroom ketchup and a nice bun works for me.

I guess you could get some activa and build a few more steaks. :raz:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

To me, tenderloin "trimmings" is the strap minus the silverskin. 1:1:1 ratio of chuck:sirloin:strap ground together is the best hamburger I've ever made. And if a little of the "tail" or "stroganoff" part of the tenderloin gets mixed in, no big deal.

doc

• 3 weeks later...

The best solution is get some Activa (meat glue) and toss the tips in it and the make basically a log, forming them with plastic wrap and refridgerate and you will find that you have whole faux tenderloins. We use our tips to make filets for children. A little work but awsome results.

Cooks are a rare breed, born into fire, live in the heat, and always cooked under medium. In other words, cut from a different cloth.