• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

valentine's chocolate

well, i scored major points :biggrin: i got some chocolates from monde chocolat on burrard and 8th. it was the valentine's box assortment. here's the top layer:

gallery_24789_3304_18108.jpg

bottom layer:

gallery_24789_3304_3859.jpg

and the "map":

gallery_24789_3304_81672.jpg

it was a little pricey ($24) but definitely worth it. my fave was the passion fruit caramel. the wife liked them all except for the milk ganache (too milky for her -- she's really getting into dark chocolate now, so she doesn't like anything that tastes too much like milk chocolate). the owners are latin american, so it was interesting for us to see a bit of their heritage in chocolate-making coming through in their flavours.

we really hate purdy's cuz it's way too sweet and not enough real chocolate flavour. we love bernard callebaut...the first time we had them, it was a revelation. intense chocolate taste without all the sweetness getting in the way! the monde chocolat chocolates are the same idea. also, it's just a block away from work! no more driving to richmond for bernard callebaut. in fact, i think we might like these more than bernard callebaut because of the interesting twists monde chocolat puts in their chocolates.

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

Have you tried the pork crackling chocolate bar from Monde? Tastes a lot like good chocolate with a crunchy caramel/nougat sprinkling inside.

Bacony stuff plus chocolate = goodness :rolleyes:

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

well, i scored major points :biggrin: i got some chocolates from monde chocolat on burrard and 8th. it was the valentine's box assortment. here's the top layer:

gallery_24789_3304_18108.jpg

bottom layer:

gallery_24789_3304_3859.jpg

and the "map":

gallery_24789_3304_81672.jpg

it was a little pricey ($24) but definitely worth it. my fave was the passion fruit caramel. the wife liked them all except for the milk ganache (too milky for her -- she's really getting into dark chocolate now, so she doesn't like anything that tastes too much like milk chocolate). the owners are latin american, so it was interesting for us to see a bit of their heritage in chocolate-making coming through in their flavours.

we really hate purdy's cuz it's way too sweet and not enough real chocolate flavour. we love bernard callebaut...the first time we had them, it was a revelation. intense chocolate taste without all the sweetness getting in the way! the monde chocolat chocolates are the same idea. also, it's just a block away from work! no more driving to richmond for bernard callebaut. in fact, i think we might like these more than bernard callebaut because of the interesting twists monde chocolat puts in their chocolates.

My condolences at being so close to MC -- I feel your pain as I am only 3 blocks away :laugh: I haven't fully graduated to the dark side (chocolate that is) and my downfall is the little tubes of round chocolate "chips" they do. Creamy goodness in a tiny bomb of happiness.

I bought my honey a dozen long-stemmed garlic bulbs and homemade nougat from the Winter Market. I bought my son and his friends a dozen tiny cupcakes topped with candy hearts from Butter Baked Goods on Dunbar. For all of us, I bought a box of chocolates from Choconymph, a new place on West 10th near Alma. Their "Glinda", with it's juicy squirt of blackberry jelly makes me very happy.

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West