• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jose Andres on PBS

Pierogi

The post about Jose Andres appearing on Conan O'Brien's show sparked my rapidly fading memory button, and I remembered that I wanted to post this last weekend as a head's up !

PBS, at least in the Los Angeles market, is running a new cooking series with Jose Andres called "Made in Spain". The first show was run last Saturday, on two of the four stations in the market.

It was quite excellent. I fell in love with Jose Andres when he was on Mark Bittman's show about Spain. He's a natural in front of a camera, and very charming. If the first episode is representative of the quality of the rest of the series, it should be a fun ride.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I just saw it on NJN the new Jersey Public station. Great show.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I was in Vegas, and saw Andres on Best Recipes in the World, which had about 15 minutes with him and the host in rural Spain. I don't think any of Made in Spain is on Atlanta, though.

Offtopic, the second half of the show was with Mario Batali, making a pasta dish, saying that he would have this in all of his restaurants...in fact, in his (either B&B or Enoteca; doubt it was CarneVino in the Palazzo) restaurant in the Venetian, there was a ricotta-and-egg ravioli, but with a different sauce.

• 6 months later...

I do enjoy this show and Jose's passion is more than evident, but is the incessant music annoying to anyone else or is it just me?? It is so intrusive especially when he is cooking something.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

It wouldn't be so bad if they had more than three songs. You can tell the flow of the episodes now just by what song's playing.

Then, at the end, they have an offer on where to get the music from the show!

I do enjoy this show and Jose's passion is more than evident, but is the incessant music annoying to anyone else or is it just me?? It is so intrusive especially when he is cooking something.

It wouldn't be so bad if they had more than three songs.  You can tell the flow of the episodes now just by what song's playing.

Then, at the end, they have an offer on where to get the music from the show!

I eat lunch at a pretty good Chinese rest. about once a week. They play the same music every day--a mixed bag of easy listening and my lunch always conludes with Kenny G. playing "Let It Snow" followed by " Auld Lang Syne" and another year has gone by.

I love Chef Andres.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

Hey man, it's PBS:)

LOL, too funny. I think the show has a great format and I cannot say that I've noticed any problems with the picture. On another bright note, the music on this Saturday's episode did not play much when he was cooking. I'm still not buying the damn "soundtrack" though :smile:

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 1 month later...

another insipid food show

every dish consists of some spanish product....

drizzled with spanish olive oil

dusted with spanish "pimenton!!!"

its an entire show about product placement (heck the name "Made in Spain" should have been a warning).

As far as enthusiasm, Andres gushes over every dish "so simple!!!" "so amazing!!!" "so perfect!!!" so much, either he's gonna bust a brain aneurysm, or I am, before the end of the season....

not so much cooking....more like assembling...of course, all out of spainish ingredients.

i guess i''ll just hop down to my local spanish food importer and pick up some key ingredients....

by the way, am I the only one that thinks spanish "Pimenton!!!" takes like ground up cigarette butts??

every dish consists of some spanish product....

drizzled with spanish olive oil

dusted with spanish "pimenton!!!"

(skipped stuff)

not so much cooking....more like assembling...of course, all out of spainish ingredients.

i guess i''ll just hop down to my local spanish food importer and pick up some key ingredients....

Heartsurgeon, what did you think "Made in Spain" would be about? Coq au vin and Linzertorte? Lemongrass and soy sauce?

It's obvious why you're not "Brainsurgeon". :laugh:

It's interesting to compare this show to the "Batali-Paltrow-et al" show.

I enjoy Jose's version much more. He's an enthusiatic host who is obviously passionate about Spanish cuisine, its ingredients and the Spanish people who make it. His show makes me want to make the food myself or to even visit Spain.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The way he made mayonnaise this past week was worth watching the show all season for!

Holy crap, i was able to make mayo for my tuna salad at 7am before i left for work in less than 2 minutes...

Seems everytime I dvr an episode it's one I've seen.

The website didn't give a recipe for his mayo. Can you give me a quick run down on how he did it. I've tried using a mortar and pestle in a simple Spanish method of just garlic and oilve oil which work well but would love to hear how he did it.

The way he made mayonnaise this past week was worth watching the show all season for!

Holy crap, i was able to make mayo for my tuna salad at 7am before i left for work in less than 2 minutes...

Seems everytime I dvr an episode it's one I've seen.

The website didn't give a recipe for his mayo. Can you give me a quick run down on how he did it. I've tried using a mortar and pestle in a simple Spanish method of just garlic and oilve oil which work well but would love to hear how he did it.

It was a while since I saw it, but he had the egg and oil in a tall beaker, and used an immersion blender. The blender started at the bottom, and he slowly raised it emulsifying more oil in as he rose up. Very cool, but I am sure there were other details I forgot.

I loved the Navarra episode, seeing the piquillo pepper and queso roncal production...and something about male cooking societies (he didn't spend much time on it, but I was glad he mentioned that the gorgeous town of Pamplona is more than just bull running).

Edited by Reignking (log)