• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gift Baskets For A New Mom (USA)

rubyred

I'm looking for a gift for my girlfriend who is about to become a new mom. (All together now, awwwwwww!)

I looked at blankets, and onesies, and picture frames, and blankets. But won't my girl get this all from other people? (Moms, please correct me if I'm wrong on this! I just want to give something useful!)

Does anyone know of a REALLY good gift basket company? Baskets can be hit or miss, and I would never want to send a bad one! My friend lives in the States so eventhough I live in Canada, I'll want a company that at the very least will ship there.

Cheers y'all!

If she lives in the middle of the desert in New Mexico, then my store! :biggrin: But since she probably doesn't, just a reminder of the obvious - no spicy foods, no liquor, nothing hard on the gut.

I would suggest (depending on how much you're willing to spend) a basket of restaurant gift certificates that deliver. In our town (small town folk) we organize feeding groups so new moms get meals made for them for about 2 weeks or more. We always say no to casseroles! But I think it would be great to get a basket with certificates for pizza, Chinese, ice cream, etc...all from places that deliver. Or, our local cab company delivers from stores and restaurants. Anyway, I may have just made your $25 gift a $250 gift, but how great would it be to get that gift!?

If I lived in Seattle instead of Canada, she'd be getting nothing but homemade meals for weeks! And that's what I was hoping to give instead of the standard baby gift! What you say is SO what I want to give, not a crappy gift basket! (I appologize to gift basket vendors everwhere! There is a place and a time for all kinds of gifts!)

Hey Seattleites! Can you recommend places I could order from online or by phone that would deliver goodies to my friend?

Thanks for helping a girl who only knows from Singles and Space Needle!

If I lived in Seattle instead of Canada, she'd be getting nothing but homemade meals for weeks! And that's what I was hoping to give instead of the standard baby gift! What you say is SO what I want to give, not a crappy gift basket! (I appologize to gift basket vendors everwhere! There is a place and a time for all kinds of gifts!)

Hey Seattleites! Can you recommend places I could order from online or by phone that would deliver goodies to my friend?

Thanks for helping a girl who only knows from Singles and Space Needle!

You could see what the folks at Eat Local have to say - they might be able to come up with something that combines the possibilities of a gift basket and home cooking ?

http://www.eatlocalonline.com/

Another choice is Pasta & Co: http://www.pastaco.com/

Neither of these are gift basket companies, but both have good food, that I would be happy to receive as a gift in those circumstances... I don't think either has a delivery service, but maybe you could work something out?

Robin Tyler McWaters

• 3 weeks later...

What about arranging a personal chef service for her, preferably just before the baby is born? Someone who will come to her house, having done all the shopping, and prepare a load of meals to stock the freezer? I think they usually prepare about 2 weeks' worth of meals, and you can usually choose what you want from a pretty extensive menu of options. We did this just before our son was born, and my thought at the time was that it would be a wonderful gift for others - it made things really easy those first couple of weeks. The food was a major step-up from take-out, and a little more gourmet than regular weeknight cooking.

Right after each of my three kids were born, my aunt did a wonderful thing. She had a nice grocery store deliver a mess of stuff to me: bottled water (a whole case; a nursing mother is thirsty) as well as cheeses, sliced salamis, great bread (sliced), some sweets, etc. As I cared for my babies, I needed to care for myself, and often one-handed because the babe was most often in my arms. Oh, included in the delivery was bagged salad blends and a bottle of dressing, as well as a bag o croutons, and some fruit.

Cover the food groups (fruit, veg, meat, cheese and bread) and make sure that nothing is required other than using one hand. A little jar of good mustard is not a bad thing to add to the basket.

Go on line and find a nice grocery store, and I'm sure they'll be willing to put something really nice together and deliver it.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I like the personal chef idea!

As far as a gift basket, you might want to try De Laurenti (in the Pike Place Market). They have one of the best selelctions of specialty items including wonderful cheeses, salumi and a plethora of specialty and ready-to-eat items. They might be able to put togther a high quiality gift basket for you. I don't imagine they deliver, but I'd think you could find a local courier service to deliver.

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

• 4 weeks later...

This isn't a food gift, but if you want to give her baby items that are actually useful, try http://www.wowbabybaskets.com/

When I lived in the Boston area, I used to go to their retail store, Magic Beans, all the time. They sold all the hard-to-find really clever, useful, tested baby items, made by small companies that were fed up by the existing mass market stuff that was cheap and didn't work that well.

If you don't feel like getting a basket, they also have a website for their regular store: www.mbeans.com