• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to eat in Philly?

vinniecap

Does anyone know if Amada has a separate (water-downed) lunch menu, or is the dinner menu also offered at lunch?

Also, I'm sad to see that nearly nothing is open for lunch on Saturday.  Here are the options I've narrowed down for Saturday lunch:

Le Bec Fin

10 Arts

Lacroix

Kanella

The Fountain

Brasserie Perrier

Please tell me that one of these is worth the trip.  Even better, please suggest something that is more interesting than all of these.

By this point in my trip, I will have gone to Vetri, Amada, Tinto, Zahav and the RTM for pork sandwiches.  It's really a shame that Osteria isn't open for lunch on Saturdays.

You may want to consider some of the Mexican, both haute and basse, currently on offer. There are a slew of really good taquerias in the Italian Market area; near there, I just had outstanding goat tacos at Cantina Los Caballitos, washed down with a very pleasant blood orange mojito; and Amada's Garces just opened Distrito at 40th and Chestnut to glowing praise, notably from Philadining, who is reportedly able to tell a sweetbread from a mushroom.

Of your list (and keeping in mind I can't judge a restaurant without taking QPR into account - a character flaw), I have no trouble recommending Kanella, which is much more casual than the rest.

All of the others, interestingly, have received very mixed recent notices from various sources. Lacroix is perhaps the most interesting of the lot, but my own experiences there were poor, always excepting the incredible brunch. And the Fountain may be the most consistent, but it yields very little in the way of excitement, or even just surprise.

Come to think of it, we may be experiencing a crisis among our most ambitious restaurants. Only Vetri seems to me to have escaped this malaise.

Does anyone know if Amada has a separate (water-downed) lunch menu, or is the dinner menu also offered at lunch?

Also, I'm sad to see that nearly nothing is open for lunch on Saturday.  Here are the options I've narrowed down for Saturday lunch:

Le Bec Fin

10 Arts

Lacroix

Kanella

The Fountain

Brasserie Perrier

Please tell me that one of these is worth the trip.  Even better, please suggest something that is more interesting than all of these.

Kanella is absolutely worth the trip.

My s.o. at at the new Parc Restaurant the other night and enjoyed it. U.E. knows that isn't necessarily an eG-level recommendation but, hey, some of me must've rubbed off in 22 years! :wink:

New Restaurant Opens - Parc in Rittenhouse Square

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Le Bec Fin

10 Arts

Lacroix

Kanella

The Fountain

Brasserie Perrier

If you want a full meal go to Kanella. If you want to experience Philly go to the Italian Market and have a Sarcone's hoagie followed by tacos al pastor at Taqueria La Puebla (someone correct me on the name if needed). If you want to nibble and sip in a cheese-intensive environment, go to Tria.

Plenty of good options. It just depends on what you want.

[edited to add: CPF is 5-ish blocks for Kanella, 2 for Tria, too far from Italian Market but they do have another gelateria down there]

Edited by jm chen (log)

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

a cheese-intensive environment

I'll be borrowing that expression. :laugh:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

If you want a full meal go to Kanella. If you want to experience Philly go to the Italian Market and have a Sarcone's hoagie followed by tacos al pastor at Taqueria La Puebla (someone correct me on the name if needed).

If you're going to go for the "Philly experience," follow your foray to los Taquitos de Puebla with a trek one-half block further south (towards Cheesesteak Corner) on 9th Street to Rim Cafe. If it's not too hot, ask Rene to make you a Volcano. If it is, have one of their iced drinks. And if you do that, tell Rene I sent you.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Le Bec Fin

10 Arts

Lacroix

Kanella

The Fountain

Brasserie Perrier

Kanella is absolutely worth the trip.

Just take into account that Kanella serves brunch on Saturday so it may not be exactly what you're looking for. You could get really good fresh fish at Estia (another Greek place) on Saturdays at lunch and really good octopus (almost as good as at Gotham in NYC) if that's what you were looking for.

Thanks everyone.

Bluehensfan: Yep, I called and that's what they said.

Doesn't anyone do a NORMAL lunch on the weekend anymore? The only one I can find for a Saturday seems to be Le Bec Fin and Lacroix. Of course, I'm sure the ethnic ones do.

I need to go back and see what's good at the RTM besides DiNic's. Is r+d chocolate there?

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

RTM-wise, the corned beef sandwich at Herschel's is outrageously good. I can't think of anything else unmissable (like the DiNic's pork) but the cupcakes from Flying Monkey, the turkey sandwich at Original Turkey, the hoagies at Salumeria, and ice cream at Bassett's are all strong choices.

It's brunch at Kanella on the weekends, but from the menu I looked at yesterday, we're not talking pancakes and eggs benedict or anything. Some sandwiches and flatbreads in addition to fish, sausage, meat options.

I'd still go to Tria.

Is Distrito open for lunch on Saturdays? They're near Penn, brand new, and getting more buzz than anybody else except Parc.

Is Distrito open for lunch on Saturdays? They're near Penn, brand new, and getting more buzz than anybody else except Parc.

That would be a GREAT option. But, I doubt Distrito is - all the other Garces places are closed on Saturdays for lunch.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

RTM-wise, the corned beef sandwich at Herschel's is outrageously good. I can't think of anything else unmissable (like the DiNic's pork) but the cupcakes from Flying Monkey, the turkey sandwich at Original Turkey, the hoagies at Salumeria, and ice cream at Bassett's are all strong choices.

It's brunch at Kanella on the weekends, but from the menu I looked at yesterday, we're not talking pancakes and eggs benedict or anything. Some sandwiches and flatbreads in addition to fish, sausage, meat options.

I'd still go to Tria.

I was thinking of recommending Tria but thought it may be too casual and crowded. The food's light and very good though.

None of Garces' joints (including Distrito) are open for lunch on Saturday. Why? Who knows...

RTM does have those r+d chocolates at the Fair Food Farmstand (all of two varieties) but I was less than impressed with them. The previou RTM recommendations are pretty sound. Do make sure to try a soft pretzel at Fisher's or a cinnamon bun (not the iced ones though) at Beiler's. I'd skip the cupcakes at the Flying Monkey unless you have a like for lardy, bland icing that tastes like crisco...and the service there is pretty lousy. Hard to achieve for a food stand but they've managed. You could always do a late breakfast of pancakes at the Dutch Eating Place though on Saturday.

Soft pretzel at Fisher's, definitely. I think they also have mini pretzel dogs. Tasty.

I've not had a problem with lardy/bland/Crisco icing at Flying Monkey, but they usually ask if I'm eating it right away, and if so, they offer to pop it in the microwave for a couple seconds to take the chill off. And different flavors have different types of icing (buttercream vs. cream cheese vs. other), so it can vary from cupcake to cupcake. YMMV.

I've never been to Tria for lunch so I don't know how crowded it is then, but it is most certainly casual. Not a "meal" kind of a place. A "let's try the Brie/Allagash/cherry crostini and a glass of the '89 Vouvray, then maybe some tete de moine, a Bluebird Bitter, how's the truffled egg toast?" kind of a place.

Edited by jm chen (log)

None of Garces' joints (including Distrito) are open for lunch on Saturday. Why? Who knows...

For the same reason that most places don't do Saturday lunch. The waitstaff is exhausted from having worked until 2:00AM on Friday night, the bodies that could/would be cooking lunch are needed to prep for Saturday night and the large numbers of diners that evening, and there isn't enough time between shifts to turn everything over between the lunch menu and dinner menu. And in many cases, the revenue from lunch doesn't really cover the cost of all the bodies needed to cook it/serve it, the utilities, etc.

Everybody needs a rest from time to time. Restaurant staffs included. Unless it's the sort of place that's going to do a blockbuster lunch business, it just isn't worth it to open on Saturday, in between the two busiest shifts of the week.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'm back from a five day streak of pure gluttony. Despite having run 7 miles every morning I was there, I managed to gain 3 lbs. on this trip. It was all very well worth it. Reports are forthcoming under the appropriate threads. But, allow me to make some observations:

1. There needs to be a WARNING sign at the airport terminals to put unsuspecting visitors to Philadelphia on notice that the network of STEAM VENTS can scald. Ouch! There's one right outside of the 13th Street Capogiro, which made eating outside the joint a messy proposition.

2. Your cabbies are awfully aggressive about wanting to be paid in cash. It was really quite bothersome.

3. I could not have found a better place to land for the first few days: my hotel was within 5 blocks of a Capogiro either way.

4. 10 Arts is somewhat beautiful, if not awkwardly placed inside the Ritz Carlton.

5. 640 *North* Broad Street is NOT the same as 640 *South* Broad Street. I should have checked a map before schlepping out one way before realizing that Osteria is on the other side of town. I mean, I thought it was sensible that Osteria would be near Vetri... I was wrong, of course.

6. Can I just say that I'm awfully tempted to return to the academic world after having bummed around with my friend who's in the EMBA program at Wharton? Man, that is a motivating crowd of folks.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

2. Your cabbies are awfully aggressive about wanting to be paid in cash.  It was really quite bothersome.

Ha. Agreed. Although if you mention from the get-go that you'll tip in cash, it's usually less of a problem.

Sounds like your trip was easily worth a mere 3 lbs. I'd sacrifice 3 lbs right now just for a trip back to Capogiro...

I'm back from a five day streak of pure gluttony.  Despite having run 7 miles every morning I was there, I managed to gain 3 lbs. on this trip.  It was all very well worth it.  Reports are forthcoming under the appropriate threads.  But, allow me to make some observations:

1. There needs to be a WARNING sign at the airport terminals to put unsuspecting visitors to Philadelphia on notice that the network of STEAM VENTS can scald.  Ouch!  There's one right outside of the 13th Street Capogiro, which made eating outside the joint a messy proposition.

At least you didn't make a comment about the airport or lost luggage. That's usually the norm for people's first perceptions of Philly. We recently had the pleasure of returning from vacation at 1:00 AM a few weeks ago and our plane went to Terminal A. For some unknown reason our luggage (at least it was all there) went to the baggage claim in Terminal C. But nobody told us this was the plan because nobody was around the baggage claim in Terminal A.

Welcome to Philly.

If you wound up going to DiNic's, you probably can't blame weight gain on them. A whole roast pork sandwich with rabe and provolone is all of 1200 calories.

And (the best for last) one more reason to go back to Wharton: Another Capogiro

Edited by Bluehensfan (log)

And (the best for last) one more reason to go back to Wharton: Another Capogiro

Great, now I can go to class and get fat at the same time!

If you wound up going to DiNic's, you probably can't blame weight gain on them. A whole roast pork sandwich with rabe and provolone is all of 1200 calories.

Yes, I did get to DiNic's. And, since I'm having an explosively (figuratively speaking) busy week at the *gainful employ,* I'll cut to the chase and give you a preview of what else contributed to my weight gain, other than Capogiro (although, this morning, my scale said that I'm back down to my previous weight - I guess my disciplined running regimen has helped).

In no particular order (or, the order in which they are appearing in my mind):

Le Bec Fin

Vetri (x2)

Tinto (x2)

DiNic's (RTM)

Salumeria (RTM)

Amada

Zahav

Fisher's (RTM)

Bassett's (RTM)

Biggest regret: I failed to make it to Osteria, Matyson, and Ansill Food + Wine. I guess between those three and the new Capogiro on campus, I have plenty of reason to return to Philly soon.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

BTW, I seemed to have failed to send you all a BIG thank you for all of the help and advice you gave me. I think the Pennsylvania forum has a collection of some of the nicest eG members I've encountered.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

BTW, I seemed to have failed to send you all a BIG thank you for all of the help and advice you gave me.  I think the Pennsylvania forum has a collection of some of the nicest eG members I've encountered.

Thank you, U.E.! We're even more fun in person. By all means give us a heads up before your next foray through the land of Brotherly Eats, and I'm certain you'll have some dining companions.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Road (or ideally, El and bus) trip to Picanha Grill for our visitor next time, anyone? If for no other reason than to prove that Lucullan feasts can be had at discount prices? (And to show him a part of the city that visitors rarely venture into, but which may be transforming more dramatically than any other?)

Any takers?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3