• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Xanthan Gum and Lecithin

LoneSavant

Hello!

So, as many of you probably have experience with, I was at my local co-op, and picked up a few ingredients that I'd never used before, for the sake of experimentation: Xanthan Gum and Lecithin.

I got these having heard rumor that they help ice cream develop a better texture, and as both an avid ice-creamer, and one who likes to avoid using LOADS of yolks and full-fat cream in his products (especially cuz i wind up eating it all myself), I often run into the problem of weak or icy/gritty icecreams.

So, in addition to info about using those in said frozen treats, I'm also curious about other applications. I'm sure they aren't one-use wonders, but I havent the faintest clue what to do with them or how to use them, in either sweet or savory concoctions.

Looking to rise one more step up the skill-ladder!

-T

Torren O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child

I know that a lot of ice cream stores make use of gelatin in their ice creams, as well as cornstarch. I try to shy away from chemical products since the whole point of making ice cream @ home is to make sure no additives etc are used.

I use up to 9 egg yolks in my ice cream, and it never gets icy. Once someone left it out and the whole thing melted into goo..I refroze it, since I didn't wanna waste my organic ingredients, and surprisingly, it wasn't icy..:op..

Yolks are the way to go!

There's been quite a bit of discussion of those products in the various ice cream topics, and if memory serves me, they are used to improve mouthfeel. I would encourage you to check on Martin Lersch's book HERE. Martin has taken all of the readily available info and recipes for such products and put them in one place - an invaluable resource.

So, in addition to info about using those in said frozen treats, I'm also curious about other applications. I'm sure they aren't one-use wonders, but I havent the faintest clue what to do with them or how to use them, in either sweet or savory concoctions.

Looking to rise one more step up the skill-ladder!

-T

I keep liquid lecithin in the fridge, and I'm surprised as often as I grab it...though I have to admit, half the time is for making skin care recipes-lol. I think from using it there so much, I've started thinking where to use in cooking & baking more often. With all my allergies, I can't use no stick sprays to prepare pans, but I found straight oil, butter, etc just didn't cut it. Especially on my waffle iron- it seemed like it needed to be oiled after every couple waffles. I finally mixed up a concoction of butter with coconut oil and a little liquid lecithin, which works great- I only have to grease the waffle iron every 8-12 waffles or so, using a silicone brush with short cut bristles to spread it around. For baking, I use the same basic mixture, with a little flour added.

Here is some more info from Bob's Red Mill: http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipe/detail.php?rid=564

Can't help you on the Xanthan Gum- its grown on corn, so its out for me...to bad I didn't realize that before I bought a bag of it, which is still sitting here by my computer because I don't have the heart to throw it out.

Liquid lecithin is my homemade salad dressing must-have - the slightest dribble helps emulsify vinaigrettes with just some shaking. This is particularly important to me as my vinaigrettes tend more toward 2:3 than the usual 3:1 ratio of oil to vinegar.

Plenty more about this topic in Challenging the oil-to-vinegar ratio.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

Hello,

You can use powdered soy lecithin to inhibit fat migration in chocolate bonbons.

Best!

Does this help when re warming chocolate ganache for truffles? I have trouble sometimes when I do this with an extra batch - the fat seperates from the chocolate.

So one could just dissolve the soy lecithin in hot cream before adding it to the chocolate?

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Hello,

You can use powdered soy lecithin to inhibit fat migration in chocolate bonbons.

Best!

Does this help when re warming chocolate ganache for truffles? I have trouble sometimes when I do this with an extra batch - the fat seperates from the chocolate.

So one could just dissolve the soy lecithin in hot cream before adding it to the chocolate?

You can use xanthan to thicken up pretty much any liquid. It is used commercially in sauces like BBQ and such. I mostly use it(so far)in thickening up the liquid for reverse spherification and vinaigrettes. For the lecithin I use it to create foams. Hope this helps

Hello,

The best way I think to reconstitute a ganache is to burr mix the hell out of it, after warming it up, of course.

Why not just make the entire line of truffles and then freeze the extra OR calculate your needs and make the necessary amount?

Hopes it helps.

I use soy lecithin on a daily basis for a few things like foams and I know an ingredient in most chocolate products, so I was just wondering if it made a difference with extra added into things like truffles. Anyways, Yeah the beurre mixer has been my friend for that job. Thanks for the responses.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga