• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDonald's Filet-O-Fish

Holly Moore

Saw a traditional Lenten season ad for McDonald's Filet-O-Fish. Haven't ordered one in ages, but during its earlier, pre Big Mac and Ray Kroc still involved years the Filet O' Fish was the best sandwich item on McDonald's menu.

Filet-O-Fish was McDonald's first new product, dating back to when meatless Fridays were more prevalent. Culture shock. Fish at McDonalds.

McDonald's systematizes everything. Filet-O-Fish sandwich required its own fryer (so the fish flavor would not impact the fries), its own method of bun warming (a steamer because nobody liked the pairing of a Filet-O-Fish filet and a caramelized, grill toasted bun), and its own tartar sauce dispenser - a caulking gun-like apparatus developed by Prince Castle. Prince Castle, partially owned by McDonald's executives, developed all specialized McDonald's equipment.

The cheese - just a half slice not a whole slice - was added to make the idea of a fish sandwich more appealing to the mind's eye. Also, like the steamed bun, the Filet-O-Fish tasted better with cheese. And, it is probably in McDonald's genes. When in doubt, throw on some cheese.

Ray Kroc did not like the flavor of any of the canned tartar sauces. He did like the tartar sauce prepared by the executive chef of one of the Hilton Hotels in Chicago. McDonald's worked with the chef to replicate the sauce in a canned variety. The only way they could was by coming up with a multi-step process. Mayonnaise base went in one can; pickle relish in another can.

Every morning a crew member prepared the tartar sauce. The mayonnaise base and the relish where mixed together. Then, using an onion dicer also developed by Prince Castle, fresh onion was chopped up and stirred in. Finally the caulking tubes were loaded with a day's supply of tartar sauce. Because the onion flavor intensified with time, tartar sauce could not be carried over from one day to another. A new batch had to be made every day.

Prince castle also made the special filet holder for cooking the "North Atlantic Whitefish" filets. That was the prescribed employee response whenever someone asked, "What kind of fish." It was cod, as in the source of cod liver oil. "North Atlantic Whitefish" sounded more appetizing.

The finished sandwich was also more fragile than hamburgers. As I recall McDonald's specified a ten minute holding time for everything. At 15 minutes a McDonald's hamburger was still a hamburger. Even at 10 minutes the Filet-O-Fish was kinda gloppy - steamed bun and all the moisture from the fried filet. Anyone in the know only ordered a Filet-O-Fish during a rush period when they turned over fast. There was nothing worse at McDonald's than a 3:30 PM Filet-O-Fish sandwich.

When working at a McDonald's on a new product test, I always waited until a fresh batch came out of the fryer. There was nothing better than a piping hot Filet-O-Fish on a just steamed bun.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)
  • Like 1

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Tha's some great insight, Holly. Thanks for sharing.

who has had once recently?

I've NEVER had one, so I don't know what they were once like. Maybe I should get one this Friday (even if I don't have a specific reason to do the "Fish on Friday" thing)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

When I was a little girl the Filet-O-Fish was always my choice over a hamburger unless there was a small, crappy toy involved. The fish was easier to chew,"less likely to choke" says my mom and "easier to digest." Who knows. I thought that I was quite special being the only one who got fish.

It's been many, many years since I had a Filet-O-Fish but my husband gets them every so often. After the Crazy-Cow-Disease scare he would *only* get the fish sandwiches for his fast food fix.

"North Atlantic Whitefish" sounds dubious and actually less appetizing than cod which I recognize and love.

Really interesting info! Thanks.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

"North Atlantic Whitefish" sounds dubious and actually less appetizing than cod which I recognize and love.

I was thinking the same thing, especially since that ambiguity is being used against them right now by another fast food chain, who is actively advertising that their fish sandwich is not "mystery fish." The commercial confused me at first, because I thought, "hey, isn't McDonald's just cod? That's not 'mystery fish'..."

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I have one of these about once a year or so. I have to scrape off a lot of the tartar sauce, though....the proportion of sauce to sandwich is way too high, methinks. To me they're kind of comfort foodish in terms of fast food; always fresh and hot, non-threatening and yummy.

In related news; I had one of the new Wendy's "premium" fish sandwiches the other day, and I did not like it at all. Far too crunchy, with a strong chemical-ish taste to the breading, (the fish itself had no flavor whatsoever), and the bun and cheese were stone cold.

Thanks for the insider McDonalds info.....I find it fascinating.

When I was a kid, and McDonalds was a treat, I used to have Filet-O-Fish. Partially because I have always liked fish, but probably mainly because I didn't want to have the same as all the other kids!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

I was thinking the same thing, especially since that ambiguity is being used against them right now by another fast food chain, who is actively advertising that their fish sandwich is not "mystery fish." The commercial confused me at first, because I thought, "hey, isn't McDonald's just cod? That's not 'mystery fish'..."

My direct experience with McDonald's was late 60's and early 70's. Back then there was far less awareness of fish. As I recall, back then, many considered cod to be junk fish.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Holly, another gem on the history of our food.

As a die-hard New Englander with cod fishing in my genes and Flo's fried clams as my "Dead Man Walking" final meal, I must admit that, against all reason, a Filet-O-Fish is my absolute favorite fast food item.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I really do appreciate the detailed info on what is probably the only McD's item I ever ate with any regularity. I have to say, out of all of the major chain burger joint menu items, it was definitely at the top of my list when I was still eating fast food. I was ALL ABOUT the insane amount of tartar sauce they usually had on them...which is why I never liked the "double" filet-o-fish...they always seemed to have TOO MUCH FISH and the sauce just couldn't support it!

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Like Sherry, I too scrape off the tartar sauce off the filet. Somehow this is the only thing I order whenever my hubby and the kids go out to eat at McD's.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Add me to the list of people who only ordered the Filet-o-Fish when we were "treated" to McDonalds when I was a child (I think it was because of my very un-American dislike of ground beef). I never scrape off the tartar sauce, but you definitely have to lift the bun and spread the glob around to get even coverage. When I was pregnant with my son, the Micky-D's fish sandwich was my one big craving--I probably ate 2-3 a week (and, consequently, gained more weight than my doctor thought was good for me).

I haven't had one in years, mostly because we very rarely eat fast food, but I still consider it my "go-to" item if I'm stuck in an airport or on a long freeway drive. I tried Burger King's version once (once!) and it was nasty--you have to do the real thing or have nothing at all, imho.

Thanks for the history!

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

I love tidbits of info like this, not only does it remind me of a very yummy bit of fast food, it gives me a new appreciation for it (and craving). The Filet-O-Fish has always been my alternate choice, when I wasn't in the mood for nuggets. So good, but the best part is opening it up and eating about half the tartar sauce (I KNEW it was good, now I know why...) with my fries.

A few questions for anyone now working in a McDonald's or who has worked in one within the fast few years.

1. Does McDonald's prefry and hold the fish filets in a universal holding cabinet like they do their burgers? Or, are they still batch fried as needed?

2. Is McDonald's still steaming the buns or are they toasted or caramelized?

3. Does the tartar sauce arrive at the McDonald's totally premixed or is the process similar to the old way - mayonnaise base, relish, fresh chopped onion combined and prepared daily?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Now you've done it. Now I have to have one. I always liked these so much better than the burgers.

Just so happens I'll be passing a Mickey D's with a drive through enroute to pick up a package at the UPS depot on my way to work this afternoon. I'll report back.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Given the current low availability and high price of North Atlantic cod, I wonder if McD's is still using cod for the sandwich or if it is truly now generic North Atlantic whitefish or perhaps not even North Atlantic whitefish anymore? Given the depressed state of that fishery, they probably should be using some other fish at least until the cod population (hopefully) rebounds.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Given the current low availability and high price of North Atlantic cod, I wonder if McD's is still using cod for the sandwich or if it is truly now generic North Atlantic whitefish or perhaps not even North Atlantic whitefish anymore? Given the depressed state of that fishery, they probably should be using some other fish at least until the cod population (hopefully) rebounds.

That's what I wondered when I read the first post. My H. Salt. Fish and Chips (a chain rest.) guy said that what he uses now is pollock.

I never liked McDonalds hamburgers. A FoF without cheese or tartar was what I would order along with tallow fried french fries. Haven't had either in ages.

Now you've done it.  Now I have to have one.  I always liked these so much better than the burgers.

Just so happens I'll be passing a Mickey D's with a drive through enroute to pick up a package at the UPS depot on my way to work this afternoon.  I'll report back.

:smile: I had to go to McDonald's yesterday for a Filet-O-Fish after reading Holly's informative post and other's musings.

I always liked them but hadn't had one in a long time. It was good! I like the tartar sauce and the amount they put on; I think it would be too dry otherwise. The fish was not dry and the fish filet was not greasy. I'm not sure if they "engineer" it somehow, but the filet appeared to have a nice "flakey" fish texture. That is, the fish appeared to "flake" like real fish and was not a solid artificial mass. Again, I"m not sure if this is due to some brillant reconstitution scheme. In any case, it was quite good!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

A few questions for anyone now working in a McDonald's or who has worked in one within the fast few years.

I worked at Mickey D's in the late 70s, which was certainly a "fast few years" ago :biggrin: !

3.  Does the tartar sauce arrive at the McDonald's totally premixed or is the process similar to the old way - mayonnaise base, relish, fresh chopped onion combined and prepared daily?

I don't know what's current, but during the time I worked there, they went from mixing up the tartar sauce fresh daily to opening a big can and manually re-filling the "caulking-gun" tubes each day to getting the sauce as pre-filled, disposable tubes ready for loading in the guns.

1.  Does McDonald's prefry and hold the fish filets in a universal holding cabinet like they do their burgers?  Or, are they still batch fried as needed?

2.  Is McDonald's still steaming the buns or are they toasted or caramelized?

3.  Does the tartar sauce arrive at the McDonald's totally premixed or is the process similar to the old way - mayonnaise base, relish, fresh chopped onion combined and prepared daily?

Holly, I live half a block from a McDonalds, so I'll stop by soon and get the answers to these crucial questions.

ETA: This is the first time that I have thought of the geographic fact in bold as a positive aspect of my existence.

Edited by chrisamirault (log)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts