• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican markets

Mottmott

I need to get a bunch of ingredients for a mole sauce.

Which are the best markets in the Philadelphia area to find them. I prefer not to go to Jersey where I always get lost unless it's absolutely necessary.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

This is probably not convenient unless you're out in the western burbs already, but the best Mexican market that I've seen around here is:

El Cunado Mexican Food Store

1160 Newark Rd, Toughkenamon, PA

(610) 268-1101

It's just a little south of Kennett Square. If you just keep going west (and a little south) on the main street through Kennett Square (State Street) you'll come upon it in maybe 5 miles -ish? Looks like a tiny convenience store from the outside, but it's actually a sizable market, with a bit of everything. I'm quite sure all mole ingredients are to be had, not to mention lots of canned and jarred prepared moles, including little tubs of what looks like homemade stuff on the counter.

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

El Cuñado is pretty good. My DH and I also used to go to El Sombrero in Avondale, which also gave us a chance to buy a trunkload of mushrooms at Cutone's.

But now, we no longer have to do that 140 mile round trip for Mexican groceries. There are a number of good little places in the area around Knights and Street Roads in Bucks County, right up from Produce Junction. I like El Changarro in the strip mall at the corner of Knights and Street Roads. My DH prefers to buy at the little unnamed yellow shack on Street Road less than a block up from Knights.

There's also a nice little market right next door to Fante's on 9th Street in the Italian Market.

Barb

Barb Cohan-Saavedra

Co-owner of Paloma Mexican Haute Cuisine, lawyer, jewelry designer, glass beadmaker, dessert-maker (I'm a lawyer who bakes, not a pastry chef), bookkeeper, payroll clerk and caffeine-addict

There's also a nice little market right next door to Fante's on 9th Street in the Italian Market.

That's Lupita. Nice folks.

Mottmott, you can start at Lupita and just keep walking down 9th. At Washington, take a little detour -- Veracruzana is between 9th and 10th and there's another market on the same side of the street at 10th, next to the Anvil works. Walk back to 9th and Washington and keep walking south on 9th. I'll bet you an order of tacos al pastor that you'll have everything you need and more by the time you get to Federal Street.

Check out this thread for what to eat while you're shopping.

Edited by serpentine (log)