• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Speaking of doughnuts

Does anybody remember the Old Fashioned donughnut shop on the corner of 86th and lex? Man were those good, especially if you were lucky enough to get one right out of the fryer. The powder sugar would turn into a glaze from the heat of the oil. A cup of coffee and a bowtie for about 2.35. Good times!!! It's too bad, we lost this place and the Pastrami Queen in one shot to some behemoth luxury apartments. That's the shit the burns me up and is why I enjoy living in Queens now more than Manhattan. There are more of those kinds of places in Queens and they don't get blown up all over food blogs like most places in Manhattan. Please if you remember the old fashioned doughnut Holla Back

I recently had a doughnut from Sullivan Street Bakery on 47th and it was ridiculously good.. Tasted eggy, yeasty, with powdered sugar and a vanilla cream... My mother, who is P-Dutch, told me it reminded her of the doughnuts she had as a child.. Fresh out of the fryer..

Before you get to excited the doughnut was 2.90 a piece and small.. But it was probably the best doughnut I have had in recent memory..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I recently had a doughnut from Sullivan Street Bakery on 47th and it was ridiculously good.. Tasted eggy, yeasty, with powdered sugar and a vanilla cream... My mother, who is P-Dutch, told me it reminded her of the doughnuts she had as a child.. Fresh out of the fryer..

Before you get to excited the doughnut was 2.90 a piece and small.. But it was probably the best doughnut I have had in recent memory..

are you referring to their bomboloni?

Does anybody remember the Old Fashioned donughnut shop on the corner of 86th and lex? Man were those good, especially if you were lucky enough to get one right out of the fryer. The powder sugar would turn into a glaze from the heat of the oil. A cup of coffee and a bowtie for about 2.35. Good times!!! It's too bad, we lost this place and the Pastrami Queen in one shot to some behemoth luxury apartments. That's the shit the burns me up and is why I enjoy living in Queens now more than Manhattan. There are more of those kinds of places in Queens and they don't get blown up all over food blogs like most places in Manhattan. Please if you remember the old fashioned doughnut Holla Back

I thought i was the only one.................... 86th was possibly one of the best d nut places ever,,,,,,,,,used to go 3 times a week on my way to work, crazy good coconut ones. Was a shame to see it go

I am pretty sure thats what they call it.. Going this Saturday, will take a photo.. Have you had it? What are your thoughts?

I am pretty sure thats what they call it.. Going this Saturday, will take a photo.. Have you had it? What are your thoughts?

its good, but not as good as ours :smile: . i think its a bit pricey for what it is and who knows how long they let it sit out...

Edited by cchen (log)