• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Molly Wee Pub

dougw

While this certainly isn't a fine dining review, I feel compelled to mention a really delightful meal I had this afternoon.

My guitar repair shop is down on 30th Street near 8th Ave. It wasn't quite finished when I got down there, so I decided to get some lunch. Seeing Bourdain's London/Scotland episode last night got me wanting some pub food, so I chose the closest thing in the neighborhood, which was Molly Wee on the corner of 30th and 8th.

I expected decent pub food and I got a really incredible lunch that far exceeded my expectations. While the menu offered some rather exotic (for a pub) lunch specials, I opted for the tried and true fish and chips, and it came with the soup du jour which was shrimp and corn bisque.

The soup was just perfect, especially on a cold day. It had all the richness and sweetness from a seafood bisque, but was balanced by a perfect hit of cayenne and lemon. Again, not what I was expecting from a pub.

The fish (sole) and chips (hand cut) were executed perfectly. The batter on the fish was light without a hint of grease, and the chips were perfect as well.

Was this a three hour orgy of flavor at Per Se? No. Of course not. But when good, honest food is executed perfectly, coupled with good service and a nice dining room, it needs mentioning.

A group pf regulars came in while I was there and they all got the burger. I was tempted to order one, but wanted the fish.

The burger looked amazing. It had a nice pile of caramelized onions on top. It would be hard to beat the pub burger in my old 'hood in the Bronx. I used to live next door to The Piper's Kilt on 231st Street. I think there's another branch in Inwood. Anyway, they have the best burger I've eaten in NYC.