• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chris Leahy from BLT Prime @ Rosalie

JAS

Chris Leahy is going to be rosalie Friday 29th of Febuary and 1st of March

And will be doing a 9 coarse tasing menu for 95$ no wines and 125$ with the wines plus , plus .

menu will showcase local items from nyc .

Edited by JAS (log)

Our new chef at Rosalie is Gabriele Campanelli, formerly of Brasserie Brunoise. He has begun his experience at Rosalie only a few months ago and we are carefully going to bring him to the forefront.

With our past experioence with two other montreal stalwart chefs, Picard and McMillan, we believe this is the best approach.

Hopefully things will be in place, for our busy summer season.

Finally, we welcome the oppotunity to work for the second year in a row with Team Tourondel and we believe this can only be a postive experience for our new young chef.

Price sounds good? It's more expensive than the tasting menu at Toque!

A lot to pay for a second tier chef from New York...

After hearing about this on egullet I quickly went to the Rosalie website to look for the menu , I saw that it wasn't posted so i decided to call and ask for some info the manager kindly gave me some info but not all and some of the items were Kompachi, venison, foie gras , oysters ect... i asked him if he knew the wines and he replied the selection was not completed .

Seeing as these quality items visavi the price i think it's a good bang for the buck .

and after also looking at your review of last years Mtl festival that I quote ( you know your in for a fantastic meal, when the amuse bouche is one of the best dishes to ever pass your lips)

So I'm confused that your saying that Chris Leahy from BLT Prime is 2nd tier. we all know that big chef's come down with there brigade, and he was part of that team

nes pas, while M. Tourondel was in the dining room mingeling with the guests , i presume that Mr. Leahy was in the back dishing out Plates from the amazing amuse bouche to the Dessert.

here is that review link.

Wednesday, February 28: BLT meets Globe

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/stor...c4-806a322e4cee

Edited by Culatello (log)

Con il melone si mangia , beve e si lava la facia

My Nonno Vincenzo 1921-1994

I'm craving the perfct Gateau Foret Noire .

Price sounds good? It's more expensive than the tasting menu at Toque!

A lot to pay for a second tier chef from New York...

So I'm confused that your saying that Chris Leahy from BLT Prime is 2nd tier. we all know that big chef's come down with there brigade, and he was part of that team

nes pas, while M. Tourondel was in the dining room mingeling with the guests , i presume that Mr. Leahy was in the back dishing out Plates from the amazing amuse bouche to the Dessert.

Wednesday, February 28: BLT meets Globe

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/stor...c4-806a322e4cee

Aren't you really reinforcing the previously made point. The boss is in the dining room while the second in command is following orders and getting the head chef's product on the plate in a fashion that will please him. It happen's all the time doesn't it? All of the greats have a wonderful team. But that doesn't make the number two guy Martin Picard or Normand Laprise or ??? I think the point is that there may be a little too much hype when compared to what is already available.... but hey why not? Let's wait and see. Who knows; maybe Mr. Leahy will w-o-w.

Edited by gruyere (log)

I got an e-mail today from Rosalie's chef, and according to the e-mail, his name is Luc Garnier.

As for this Chris Leahy fellow being second tier, I think even he would admit as much.

Here's the menu they sent me:

• Huîtres ‘’Totten Inlett virginica’’, mousseux de concombre,

caviar américain

• Escargots de Bourgogne grillés, croûtons au fromage ‘’ Manchego’’,

sauce chimichurri

• Céviche de Kompachi, fenouil mariné à l’orange ‘’Cara-cara’’,

noix de macadamia grillées

• Pétoncles de ‘’Nantuckey Bay’’, risotto noir,

citron ‘’Meyer’’ parmesan

• Foie gras cuit au torchon, de la ‘’Vallée Hudson’’, poitrine de porc croustillante, salade de pommes vertes et cerneaux caramélisées

• Bar sauvage enveloppé de proscuitto, haricots cannellini,

poivrons ‘’Piquillo’’

• Côte de cerf rouge, bette à carde, Cèpes

• Panna cotta au Calvados, gâteau aux noix, sorbet de pommes,‘’Mutsu’’ grillée

• Gâteau au chocolat 5 épices, crème glacée au fromage à la crème, bonbons aux Kumquats et orange sanguine

Edited by Lesley C (log)

Luc has been our chef for the past 2 years. In reference to the new chef, Gabriele, has joined our team this past month...

The present perfect "Luc has been..." grammatically implies that he was and still is up to the present, while simple past "Luc was" or past perfect "Luc had been" would mean that he was and at present is not. If you have a new chef, Gabriele, does this mean that Luc is no longer your chef, or do they both share the duties of being chef? In this case, there would be no confusion surrounding your use of the present perfect.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

I got an e-mail today from Rosalie's chef, and according to the e-mail, his name is Luc Garnier.

As for this Chris Leahy fellow being second tier, I think even he would admit as much.

Here's the menu they sent me:

• Huîtres ‘’Totten Inlett virginica’’, mousseux de concombre,

caviar américain

• Escargots de Bourgogne grillés, croûtons au fromage ‘’ Manchego’’,

sauce chimichurri

• Céviche de Kompachi, fenouil mariné à l’orange ‘’Cara-cara’’,

noix de macadamia grillées

• Pétoncles de ‘’Nantuckey Bay’’, risotto noir,

citron ‘’Meyer’’ parmesan

•  Foie gras cuit au torchon, de la ‘’Vallée Hudson’’, poitrine de porc croustillante, salade de pommes vertes et  cerneaux caramélisées

• Bar sauvage enveloppé de proscuitto, haricots cannellini,

poivrons ‘’Piquillo’’

• Côte de cerf rouge, bette à carde, Cèpes

• Panna cotta au Calvados, gâteau aux noix, sorbet de pommes,‘’Mutsu’’ grillée

• Gâteau au chocolat 5 épices, crème glacée au fromage à la crème, bonbons aux Kumquats et  orange sanguine

looking @ this 9 course menu it looks to me like highway robbery , the way I look at it is 10.55$ /per plate with-out the wine ,add an extra 3.33$ for a glass per service and it comes out 13.88$ per service /person it's a bang for your $

just the foie gras at 80$ /kg at .100g /person is 8$ a head cost.

then the kompachi , oysters , venison , scallops , porcini and if he want's them fresh he has to order them from South Africa and pay the plane for it.

looks good.

As for second tier , do you think that about all the chef de cuisine or just him , cause I could name some VERY VERY IMPORTANT AND WELL RESPECTED CHEF DE CUISINE , that are NOT 2nd tier but the backbone & muscle of the chef's like ,Charle Antoine C. , Hugue,Mike Mercurie,Andrew Carmellini formerly from Daniel,Marc Lander from Del Posto.

last week I saws Iron-chef america and it was Andrew Carmellini v.s. Mario Batali the final score was 55/56 and they said it was the hardest choice to make ever in the history of ICA.

My point is these guy's are making the food in the kitchen while there chef's are signing books, same food minus the Star show. and maybe and good chances are that they one day will be the star.

so let's not call them 2nd tier or rate chef's because it's insulting and we don't come on egullet to put down hard working chef's once again.PLEASE

And happy St.Valentine's day to you all enjoy your evening make love not war. :wink:

Edited by Culatello (log)

Con il melone si mangia , beve e si lava la facia

My Nonno Vincenzo 1921-1994

I'm craving the perfct Gateau Foret Noire .

• 3 weeks later...