• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

10 Rules of Wine Service

malcolmjolley

Well......rather basic I thought. Most of the rules fall under service in general. It reads like a How to kiss the customer's butt personally. The main purpose a restaurant keeps a sommelier on staff is pairing a wine with your food for the best dining experience. Show me a sommelier that's not passionate about every bottle and why a certain wine makes the best pairing and I'll show you a place I probably wouldn't bother to ask the sommelier anything.

More stress on wine education and less "Wine for Dummies" :wink:

edit grammar

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

I've got to agree with the statement "More stress on wine education and less "Wine for Dummies"". In my opinion the best commandments in the list are numbers 11 - 13, the first 10 are just too basic and should be done by anyone in the restaurant business. A Sommelier should know and promote his wines of not merely allow customers to pick. Yes he needs to know when to back off and let the customer make a decision but up-front he should take the lead promoting the wines he has!

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.