• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help Me Make a Bacon Macaron

jayejo

Since there are so many bakers around here who know their sugar much better than me, I'm turning to y'all for help. I'd like to make a bacon macaron. My first thought is a regular almond macaron cookie with a milk chocolate/bacon filling a lá Vosges Mo's Bacon Bar. I'm not quite sure how to make the filling though. Would I just temper some milk chocolate and add crumbled bacon? Or is there something else I should be doing?

I'm also open to other ideas for this bacon macaron idea if anyone has any.

There's nothing so bad in this life that pork fat can't make better.

My Blog

Since there are so many bakers around here who know their sugar much better than me, I'm turning to y'all for help. I'd like to make a bacon macaron. My first thought is a regular almond macaron cookie with a milk chocolate/bacon filling a lá Vosges Mo's Bacon Bar. I'm not quite sure how to make the filling though. Would I just temper some milk chocolate and add crumbled bacon? Or is there something else I should be doing?

I'm also open to other ideas for this bacon macaron idea if anyone has any.

jayejo, there's no need to temper chocolate if you're going to use it as a macaron filling. You could just make a milk chocolate ganache and stir in crumbled bacon. I have yet to try a bacon macaron, though. You could tint the shell a pink/maroon shade just to hint at what the filling is once people bite into it. If you're REALLY adventurous, maybe add a drop of liquid smoke into the batter :o)

Edited by AmritaBala (log)

See, that's why I posted here! I have this stuff that a friend told me about called Bacon Salt. I might use a pinch of that with the egg whites instead of regular salt. Would it mess up the batter at all if I did that?

My Blog

See, that's why I posted here! I have this stuff that a friend told me about called Bacon Salt. I might use a pinch of that with the egg whites instead of regular salt. Would it mess up the batter at all if I did that?

i love the idea of adding liquid smoke...but perhaps try infusing cooked bacon in the heavy cream before making the ganache or substituting some of the butter for bacon fat (not all or it could negatively change the texture). hope it works!

Pastry PRincess

a day without love, laughter or dessert is a day wasted.

Be extremely careful with liquid smoke - it is usually very concentrated. So concentrated that it might be hard to dose the undiluted stuff.

I think a better idea would be to use the bacon salt (or ordinary smoked salt) and sprinkle a little on top of the macaroon.

If you want the bacon to remain crisp in the ganache, then make it with only butter and milk chocolate. About 3 parts melted and cooled chocolate and 1 part room temperature butter mixed together - add the crumbled bacon (cook it crisp, drain, then microwave until really crispy before crumbling). I'd add some alder smoked salt.

The Vogue's bar is 'dark milk chocolate' with crumbled bacon and smoked salt. I copy it by tempering milk chocolate, adding some tempered dark , then adding the bacon and salt. So you might actually want to add a little dark chocolate to your butter ganache as well.

I have a suggestion that might help with the smokey flavor.

Brew some super-strength lapsang souchong tea and reduce it, tasting, until you get the level you think might be flavorful enough. Tea blends quite well with chocolate and it should give you the smoke flavor without the salt and the oily base that is in liquid smoke.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have a suggestion that might help with the smokey flavor.

Brew some super-strength lapsang souchong tea and reduce it, tasting, until you get the level you think might be flavorful enough.  Tea blends quite well with chocolate and it should give you the smoke flavor without the salt and the oily base that is in liquid smoke.

That's a great idea. You could use Russian Samovar tea as well (at least I think that's the smoked one). It's really smokey.

How about a pinch of pimenton (smoked paprika) for the smokiness? A Chocolatier near me does a strawberry and smoked paprika bar linky so not a completely wacky idea.

Thank you all for the fantastic ideas! The weather on Saturday is supposed to be icky and cold, so I'm going to hole up with these suggestions and get to baking. I'll post the results for all to see!

My Blog

Speaking of classic bacon combinations, you could try making a maple and bacon flavored macaron/ganache combo. I don't really know how one would do it, but I'm sure once the right balance is achieve it'd be amazing!

That is a great idea! And I have a good idea of how to go about doing it as well. I'm going to set out more eggs right now to do a batch that way as well :) Thanks for the thought!

My Blog

Well, I made the ganache. I cooked 4 strips of bacon super crisp last night and drained them well. Then I put them in cream overnight. Today, I made the ganache but it broke. So I got out my electric mixer and it came together nicely. Since I have to fill these tonight, I stuck it in the freezer immediately to set up. Parts look great, but the parts that haven't set yet are separated again and there's definitely a little "grease" on top. It tastes good though. Just a hint of smokieness.

I also made a maple buttercream which is in the fridge right now as well. And I made bacon candy by roasting bacon well coated in brown sugar. I'll fill macarons with those two ingredients as well.

The macarons are sitting right now, getting their shell. But since I decided to add a little color to each batch (gel color) they are super runny. I can't figure out why that is. It's happened before when I try to add color to them. Is there a secret to coloring the cookie that I'm not aware of?

They'll go in the oven in a bit, then cool, then get filled and set in the fridge overnight. I'm going to serve them at the bacon party tomorrow, but I'm not sure they'll look great. Pictures and a report to come.

My Blog

That is a great idea! And I have a good idea of how to go about doing it as well. I'm going to set out more eggs right now to do a batch that way as well :) Thanks for the thought!

I'm honored you took my humble suggestion. :wub: (That's just thinking with your stomach for you)

I'm honored you took my humble suggestion. :wub: (That's just thinking with your stomach for you)

I have the distinct feeling that your suggestion is going to be the best too :)

My Blog

Well, I made the ganache. I cooked 4 strips of bacon super crisp last night and drained them well. Then I put them in cream overnight. Today, I made the ganache but it broke. So I got out my electric mixer and it came together nicely. Since I have to fill these tonight, I stuck it in the freezer immediately to set up. Parts look great, but the parts that haven't set yet are separated again and there's definitely a little "grease" on top. It tastes good though. Just a hint of smokieness.

I also made a maple buttercream which is in the fridge right now as well. And I made bacon candy by roasting bacon well coated in brown sugar. I'll fill macarons with those two ingredients as well.

The macarons are sitting right now, getting their shell. But since I decided to add a little color to each batch (gel color) they are super runny. I can't figure out why that is. It's happened before when I try to add color to them. Is there a secret to coloring the cookie that I'm not aware of?

How are you adding the coloring? If you aren't folding it in you may be collapsing the air in the batter.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow