• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry "tamper" tool

JeanneCake

There are a few things I make in 3" round cake rings that need to be tamped down to get rid of air bubbles (which would look unsightly when the dessert is unmolded) or my individual flourless cakes that need to be pushed down after baking to fill out and make the sides smooth (rather than concave which sometimes happens).

Years ago a friend used a cylinder of wood that she had made (this was in CA) but I need to find a tool like this because I'm tired of using the spray caps, which are just about the right side but not quite.

Most of the pastry tamper tools are meant for tart dough and are 2" wide.

Anyone got any ideas about where to find one?

If I had to get something like this made, what kind of wood should I ask for, and where would I go (a butcher block place?).

There are a few things I make in 3" round cake rings that need to be tamped down to get rid of air bubbles (which would look unsightly when the dessert is unmolded) or my individual flourless cakes that need to be pushed down after baking to fill out and make the sides smooth (rather than concave which sometimes happens).

Years ago a friend used a cylinder of wood that she had made (this was in CA) but I need to find a tool like this because I'm tired of using the spray caps, which are just about the right side but not quite.

Most of the pastry tamper tools are meant for tart dough and are 2" wide. 

Anyone got any ideas about where to find one? 

If I had to get something like this made, what kind of wood should I ask for, and where would I go (a butcher block place?).

An idea is to find a local person who does wooding. He could proboaly make one for you. Remember to use a hard wood. I had someone near me make a stand so I could put lables on the bottom of a 1 piece box that held 2 truffles. You could probably pay him off in baked goods, so both of you will come out happy.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Any time I start complaining about not having the right tool for the job, my husband is usually there to help me come up with an answer. If I told him I needed a cylindrical three inch diameter tampering thingy, he'd go into the garage and make one. I have a great husband. He also has saved probably every scrap piece of wood he has come across in his life. He always says they'll come in handy someday, and I sure can't argue with that. I really regret that as a woman, I didn't take shop class in high school.....that was a class I really could use in my present life, for sure....but who knew? :laugh:

I use one of these meat pounder

the handle is easier for me to hold.

I also have used an antique wooden potato basher and occasionally still do when the SS one goes missing.

Most are 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter at the business end, but occasionally you can find larger ones. The one I use is a bit more than 3 inches in diameter.

You can also go to a lumber yard and buy a scrap of round wood banister stock, which is generally made from hardwood. A bit of sanding with medium, fine and superfine sandpaper and a bit of dressing with mineral oil (food grade) will give you an adequate tool.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett