• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boylan Bottle Co.

Pam R

One of my suppliers is carrying Boylan Soda Pop. To pad my orders, I will often get a few cases of interesting drinks, like GUS sodas.

In the past, we've ordered a couple of diet drinks and regular root beer. For those of you who like cane sugar, they still use it. But now there's a new heading on the price list: Mash. But I don't see it on the website.

Have you tried a Boylan's Mash? Comes in 4 flavours -- Grapefruit Citrus Zing, Lemon Peel Ginger Root, Pomegranate Blueberry and Ripe Mango Blood Orange. They sound almost too trendy. Is it a water? Is it carbonated? Is it good?

Pam,

Being from NJ, Boylan's is somewhat of a local "David" in a Goliath world of beverages. I am actually surprised to hear that they are available in Canada. The MASH is a relatively new offering from Boylan's. We sell it at AMAZING HOT DOG an it sells well. It is a lightly carbonated water beverage. The label reads this"

MASH was concieved with everyone in mind, taking all that's good from a number of well-liked beverages. It's not 100% juice, it's not soda pop, nor will you get energy or vitamins from it (we still believe in getting a good nights sleep and eating your vegetables). But you wll love it's natural fruit essence and it's very light sweetness (and low calories!!) So whatever you do or study, MASH is for you....when you're looking for something to drink other than water(water, water, that is)

Unfortunatley, my employees like it too and we have a fairly liberal employee dining policy. One of my eployees likes it so much, she bought a case.

Give it a shot!!

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Thanks for the info, Eric. The label sounds good to me. I'm going to try two flavours on this order -- the pomegranate blueberry and the mango/blood orange.

We don't sell a lot of drinks (though the GUS and Dr. Brown's sell well), so I chose the two flavours I'd like to try, should I have to drink all of them!

• 3 weeks later...

The reviews are in. Blue/Pom was loved by all (well, the 3 of us who tried them when they came in), the Mango/Blood Oange was liked by all -- I think it needs ice.

I'll try other flavours with my next order.

It surprises me that, living in the Boylan's heartland of NNJ, I see the regular Boylan's soda everywhere. But have never seen Boylan's Mash around.

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

• 2 weeks later...

pam-

funny you ordered the two i like the least. every trip to the wharton shoprite my bag comes home with 4 of the pink grapefruit and 2 of the lemon peel.

love them. they are just lightly carbonated and not really sweet at all. now that i can't find GUS anywhere they are my daily treat at work.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

They're all gone. A customer came in last week and took all of them (she had them while travelling).

I won't be ordering more for a couple of months, but I will add the lemon/ginger to the list. Though I like fresh grapefruit, I'm not a fan of grapefruit drinks and I already stock the GUS grapefruit, so I'll hold off for now. If somebody requests it I can order it.

I recently got a sample pack of all 4 MASH flavors. So far, I think grapefruit is my favorite, blood orange is a close second and blueberry/pom is third. I haven't tried the lemon/ginger root yet though so I reserve the right to change my rankings.

I'm definitely planning to order these for the bakeshop - I think they'll do very well and I haven't seen anything like them (except for GUS) around town.

It surprises me that, living in the Boylan's heartland of NNJ, I see the regular Boylan's soda everywhere. But have never seen Boylan's Mash around.

The Montclair deli where I work stocks them both. The Mash stuff is popular, though I think that traditional Boylan's soda still has a slight edge.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Does anyone happen to know if Boylan's Diet Root Beer is available at any retail outlet in the Massachusetts, New Hampshire, or Providence areas? I'm tired of paying through the nose to get it by mail order ($2.50 or so a bottle with shipping), and I've very unusually come up completely empty-handed after hours of web searches over several months.

Mike Harney

"If you're afraid of your food, you're probably not digesting it right because your stomach is all crunched up in fear. So you'll end up not being well."

- Julia Child

"There's no reason to say I'm narrow-minded. Just do it my way and you will have no problem at all."

- KSC Pad Leader Guenter Wendt

• 1 month later...

Those mash drinks sound good!

Fancy bottled beverages are my biggest grocery-store weakness. That damned case near the checkout at Whole Foods gets me every time!

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."

• 3 months later...

Mash of flavours? (blood-orange/mango, lemon/ginger)

Mash of beverage types? (juice/pop/water)

I don't know the answer, but I just emailed the company and asked them.

According to the fine people at Boylan, MASH doesn't have a specific meaning.

It could be:

"the MASH product is taking two unique flavors and MASHing them together - it can also be translated into the extracting of essence and flavors from fruit by "MASHing" them."