• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

your favorite non-trad, budget eats?

trillium

I appreciate the add-ins for our LES tour, I'm a huge cake donut and pickle fan (no not together) so that's a bonus. I've never had a knish I thought was a good use of calories. I was kinda thinking I should give them one more shot, but it does sound like there are tastier things to be eating.

Order a knish at Katz's; different type of knish, but serviceable in a pinch.

DiFara's probably not worth your valuable time to schelp, wait on line, be aggravated, etc.

Don't forget the whitefish salad at Russ & Daughter's - they'll try to sell you bagels (H & H), but get your bialys at Kossar''s...remember, Kossar's is closed from Friday evening till Saturday around 8 PM.

I think I would make the trip to DiFara's if I lived in the city, but since I don't, I feel like you do, not worth the time with only 3 days. I totally forgot that some of these places would be closed for Sabbeth! Crap. And some are closed on Sunday. Hmmm. Thanks for the warning.

regards,

trillium

I think I would make the trip to DiFara's if I lived in the city, but since I don't, I feel like you do, not worth the time with only 3 days. I totally forgot that some of these places would be closed for Sabbeth! Crap. And some are closed on Sunday. Hmmm. Thanks for the warning.

regards,

trillium

Russ & Daughter's is open 7 days a week...but Kossar's and the pickle places are closed on Saturday,open on Sunday. Donut Plant is closed on Mondays. Il Lab closes quite early - around 5 or 6.

You can have a very good (NY style) pizza, in Manhattan, at Patsy's East Harlem, and Arturo's...a pretty damn good slice at Joe's on 6th Avenue, though yammv.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

which specific instance of kewpie are you talking about?

The bottled kind that you squeeze and white stuff comes out of. Er, Japanese mayo. Too sweet for me.

regards,

trillium

no, what I meant was...which menu items were using it?

a lot of the non-local momofuku/chang press discusses his use of kewpie mayo..

look, this thread is slightly off.. you have an agenda and a listing of places that you'd like to visit.. none of them are really all that innovative or offering things that you indicate you can get from the source, and yet you want to try the nyc versions.. those of us who eat out a lot here enjoy the momofuku's because they offer something different from the standard ethnic food that you're apparently looking for, which is why they're offered up and almost pushed down your throat.. but to come here and go to the random sushi/kaiseki/korean bbq/etc joints that are fine, but considering the higher quality outlets of all of these places in the US, especially on the West Coast, I think it's a waste of your time to make it a point to hit them and not eat at Ssam..

Dude, go to Momofuku. Seriously. You won't regret it.

I agree with those who've argued that Di Fara is too far to be worth it during your short stay.

Il Laboratio in NY is definitely not the same as in Rome. And in my opinion, there isn't a single place in NY that compares with the best gelaterie in Italy.

I don't much care for Mandoo Bar, though others may disagree.

I like Yakitori Totto, though personally I would just listen to raji's suggestions. The man knows his Japanese food.

The LES food crawl is a nice way to spend a few hours, for sure.

I really enjoy Fatty Crab as well, which someone mentioned above.

Re: Staten Island, please don't do that to yourself. There are plenty of other places to satisfy your pizza needs.

Have a great trip!

The bottled kind that you squeeze and white stuff comes out of. Er, Japanese mayo. Too sweet for me.

regards,

trillium

right...in a couple dishes...most of which aren't even on the menu anymore.

I've never heard or seen of an Il Laboratorio gelateria in Rome. the NY place by that name was founded by a guy who used to work at Ciao Bella (a lesser NY gelateria).

in Rome the most highly regarded places are usually San Crispino or Giolitti. never heard of one named Il Laboratorio.

anyway, if you want gelato, the best in NY is at Otto.

Edited by Nathan (log)

I've never heard or seen of an Il Laboratorio gelateria in Rome.  the NY place by that name was founded by a guy who used to work at Ciao Bella (a lesser NY gelateria).

in Rome the most highly regarded places are usually San Crispino or Giolitti.  never heard of one named Il Laboratorio.

Actually, he used to own Ciao Bella...some of Il Lab's gelato is in many respects the equal of Otto's, but once again, personal opinion.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

regards,

trillium

right...in a couple dishes...most of which aren't even on the menu anymore.

Um, I was referring to not being very crazy about okonomiyaki and raji's suggestion that one made in his kitchen would make a convert of me. They're frequently served with kewpie squirted all over them, and a bottle on the side to add more. I was teasing raji. Nothing to do with Momofuku. I understand his food has some serious supporters and I'm very appreciative to get everyone's feedback on what they think are good spots to go to. I'll certainly keep all of the suggestions in mind.

regards,

trillium

I've never heard or seen of an Il Laboratorio gelateria in Rome.  the NY place by that name was founded by a guy who used to work at Ciao Bella (a lesser NY gelateria).

in Rome the most highly regarded places are usually San Crispino or Giolitti.  never heard of one named Il Laboratorio.

I think I might have been hallucinating and mixed up San Crispino with Il Lab. But I'd swear that I've been to an Il Laboratorio del gelati in Italy. I think our goal is to hang out in certain neighborhoods and walk around while eating a cool spots in that particular 'hood. Il Lab was only on the list because of it's proximity to Katz, R&D, etc. But I'll keep an eye out for Otto too.

regards,

trillium

Since you'll be in and around the LES and mentioned pizza, I suggest the real (original) Rays on Prince and Elizabeth for a white and/or regular slice. Crispy perfection.

And I second (or third) the Fatty Crab suggestion. Different, unique, delicious.

Here's an old cheap eats thread. Most of these places are still around and worthy of consideration.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=80287&hl=

Edited by Eatmywords (log)

That wasn't chicken