• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Solis Maestro

BeJam

I thought that after three or four years, I should change both top and bottom burrs on my original maestro. (Not the plus.) Anyway, after I worked through the oversize-gasket issue, cleaned out all the old miscellaneous bean parts and got the whole thing back together again, the grind settings were way off. Even at the smallest setting I couldn't grind coffee fine enough for espresso. Before the change, I ground espresso at the 5 or 6 setting.

Anyway, I took the whole thing apart and put the old parts back in, but that did not change or the fix the problem. It seems as if I'm missing some mysterious part, but I'm sure I didn't loose anything and am sure I put it back together the same way.

I did email Barratza and got a quick reply that didn't help my situation and I'm waiting for a follow up.

Has anyone else tried to replace burrs, only to find they've completely messed up the settings?

Bode

Hi, I have to fine-tune the grind setting every time I clean the burr. It's a bit temperamental in that respect. :rolleyes:

One time, after a thorough cleaning, I simply could not get the grinding ring burr back in. I panicked (and couldn't even make a cup of coffee to drink while I thought through the situation). The problem turned out to be the large black plastic ring surrounding the bottom burr. It had twisted in my overly zealous cleaning. Once I found the proper position for it, everything fit back in place.

I doubt that's your problem, but it's something for you to look at while you're waiting for your answer from Baratza. Good Luck!

BeJam, I know for a fact I've seen a pictorial on how to change the grind setting on the Solis. Not sure if it was on coffeegeek or at the Baratza site.

I just checked the Baratza site and it's not there. Check coffeegeek.com. I know this has been discussed before and I know there are pictorials floating around somewhere that shows how to recalibrate the grind settings to get a finer or coarser grind.

Thanks for the ideas. I did a quick look around coffeegeek but didn't find anything. Barratza replied this morning, but suggested I'd gotten coffee grounds wedged beneath the lower burr. I don't think that's possible given that I'd never taken the lower burr off before. But they are sending me some washers to compensate for the poor performance.

Bode