• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calabash, NC

pax

My Dad is moving to Calabash, NC. He and his wife are retiring down there and building a house.

I'd like to know two things, really...which are the good places to eat; and, is there anything the town is really lacking? We're kind of kicking around the idea of a deli that my Dad can set up and then let my sister run. (My Dad has 40 years in the food industry.)

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, before even reading your post, my response was going to be that there is a kick-ass deli there. It is a couple of doors down from Callahans (the great big beach and Christmas kitsch shop.) Great little deli with some wonderful pastries.

Well, thanks for the tip. I've never been there, my Dad and I were just kicking theories around. I'd hate to go in there and aggravate people by opening a competeing concern. :)

But as far as other places to eat, like dinner...any suggestions?

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

:biggrin:

My Dad is a fan of yours, I turned him onto your site a little while ago. He's been touring around Northern Jersey eating hot dogs waiting for his wife to retire too.

He bought a commercial space down there and he just hasn't figured out what he's going to do with it