• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lumiere

mamster

To sum it all up, I'm not quite sure if it's worth the cost, or even if it would be the best experience for the up and coming chefs. 

$1000 is too steep for my student budget. That'd wipe out my clothing budget for the next six weeks!! :wink: Seriously though, if I made more money, I would probably buy a ticket for this event and consider it an early Christmas gift to myself. Everyone has a different opinion on what's "outrageous" and what's worth its price.

Edited by Ling (log)

Is a Bentley worth it?

Depends on who's answering. This is not a meal for those short of pocket. Is it worth it? To those who pay, clearly yes.

Ah, as usual, I probably haven't explained my thoughts sufficiently. Of course it is not a meal for all, but the definition of short of pocket is most likely defined by the ratio of our income versus our expenses. Short of pocket, as mentioned, means that most of us couldn't possibly afford a tenth of the price, and usually that includes more than just one of us. For a couple, which is at least the norm, that would be two G's!! There are many of us who appreciate great cuisine, and dream of returning to places that they could frequent before the family expenses. Those of us who appreciate what good cuisine is, as opposed to pre-fab, marketed, pretty much guaranteed specification perfect. However. do you really think those that can afford this event truely think it is worth it, in a culinary appreciation sense (not including wine, which if that was the intention, should have been described as such), or is it an event at which to prove that one can pay, to be seen and hopefully have their pic published in various publications. Actually, in retrospect, I guess for other reasons than culinary, it might be worth it, for those who want to see and be seen. It just seems kind of, IDK, ostentatious, unless there is a viable contribution to some sort of worthy cause, whatever that might be, as long as it is worthy.

Hopefully one of us regular folk, will attend, and supply all the details.

Edited by ~cayenne~ (log)

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Is a Bentley worth it?

Depends on who's answering. This is not a meal for those short of pocket. Is it worth it? To those who pay, clearly yes.

Ah, as usual, I probably haven't explained my thoughts sufficiently. Of course it is not a meal for all, but the definition of short of pocket is most likely defined by the ratio of our income versus our expenses. Short of pocket, as mentioned, means that most of us couldn't possibly afford a tenth of the price, and usually that includes more than just one of us. For a couple, which is at least the norm, that would be two G's!! There are many of us who appreciate great cuisine, and dream of returning to places that they could frequent before the family expenses. Those of us who appreciate what good cuisine is, as opposed to pre-fab, marketed, pretty much guaranteed specification perfect. However. do you really think those that can afford this event truely think it is worth it, in a culinary appreciation sense (not including wine, which if that was the intention, should have been described as such), or is it an event at which to prove that one can pay, to be seen and hopefully have their pic published in various publications. Actually, in retrospect, I guess for other reasons than culinary, it might be worth it, for those who want to see and be seen. It just seems kind of, IDK, ostentatious, unless there is a viable contribution to some sort of worthy cause, whatever that might be, as long as it is worthy.

Hopefully one of us regular folk, will attend, and supply all the details.

Cayenne:

One-tenth of the price is something you never spend on dinner for one? including wine? that surprises me. I spend more than I ought to on restaurant food, there's no question, but I often spend more than $100 on dinner for just me, including wine, even for eGullet/waiterblog events where the food is a set, well-priced, menu. Even ten years ago, when I had much less disposable income (hard as that is to imagine :hmmm:) if I took a friend out for dinner and it approached $200 it wasn't that unusual, if you included the liquor. So $100 p.p. for a special-event dinner seems more than reasonable for a food and wine person. You could spend that at Milestone's without trying too hard.

Having a large budget available to you (or saying OK, we're going to forego dinner out for the next four weeks and this is our advance Christmas present) doesn't preclude food appreciation, does it?

I have to say: the wine is included. It was stated in the very first post that it was included, and the fact that it is included has been questioned and re-confirmed several times above. The fact that the wines which will be served are going to be the sorts of wines most of us don't get to taste often (if ever) has also been noted.

I know Charlie Trotter is a famous chef, and that he wrote the foreword in the Lumière cookbook I have, and that he and RF go way back (which, presumably, is why he is involved--not because he is or isn't trendy or in tune or anything else: they're friends). That's about all I know (aside from the whole foie gras brouhaha). Since my numbers didn't come up last night my chances of buying a ticket outright are between slim and none, but to be at such an event I would certainly pay $1000, if I had it.

Hope my number comes up for this one! :biggrin:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

You know what?  Let's really have a draw and see if we can't get a seat for an egulleter in there.  Due to my lack of the 'alcohol' gene, it would be a waste for me to go to the Trotter dinner, but I am willing to organize this draw in a fair way.  The winner must take pictures and report back in an articulate and enthusiastic manner.

Please PM me if you are really serious about participating - and based upon the number of interested parties - I will set the price for the draw (or let me know what your upper $ limit for participating in the draw is).

[host]

Unforunately, this is something eG can't allow to be organized in forum. I've removed those posts that did so, so if you wonder where the your post has gone ... that's where it's gone. I won't be sending out PMs.

[/host]

For those of you who have been trying to fax Lumiere with your nominations for young chefs to go to the dinner - without success...the number is 604 739 8139.

Cate posted the reservation line. :hmmm:

Woopsie! :wub:

By the way, I have taken the Liberty of putting a ticket aside for e-gullet so no need to give them a deposit. C.

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

I just want to put on the table the fact that my dinner at Lumiere was a tremendous step ahead of my dinner at Charlie Trotter's, which was marred by several mediocre dishes and many service missteps, which included trying to serve meat to a vegetarian. Lumiere's service was much more laid back and enjoyable and they really went the extra mile in terms of hospitality. The food was also unarguably better.

Personally, I'd drop this whole snob fest and go to Lumiere again and have the surprise menu - which I plan to do next time I'm in Vancouver.

Its also interesting to note that at both Lumiere and Trotter's, the chefs were not in the kitchen. They both have their fingers in a lot of pots.

By the way, I have taken the Liberty of putting a ticket aside for e-gullet so no need to give them a deposit.  C.

Many thanks kmk.

I have gotten good number of people interested, but I need a few more people to keep the price of each entry reasonable. I think it would be fun for someone from egullet to go and enjoy what is pretty rare experience.

So - just as a reminder - please PM me if you are interested in participating in this impromptu draw. (those who have already PM'd me and those who orginally responded by post are excepted of course).

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone hear who the 6 apprentices that got the seats for the dinner at Lumiere being hosted by Chefs Feenie and Trotter???

Yes, the draw was supposed to be yesterday. I think Jaimie Maw said he will post the names.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Please someone post the names.  Yesterday, Rob mentioned that there was someone from Terra Breads, but he did not know the others.

Yes, is there an official public list yet? Dinner is on Friday! I know of one person who was invited, but not from Terra Breads. I am reluctant to give out the name without a list being made public.

Someone must have some beans to spill. :wink:

-- Matt.

You can find the winners here.

Anticipatory congrats to the lottery winners; they represent a broad range of food service purveyors (restaurant, catering, baking) with some geopgraphic diversity as well. I'm going to ask them to make some notes and see how their experience compares with mine.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

From waiterblog this morning.

Just got off the phone with one of the up and coming chefs who won the seat lottery for last nights Charlie Trotter dinner at Lumiere. By his account, it was outstanding (and not a little inspirational). The surprise capper? One of the six winners won a stage with Trotter in Chicago. Who? Adesso Bistro’s Lucais Syme. Congratulations!

As far as I know, none of the guests were eGulls save Mr. Maw. How'd it go?

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Here is the menu:

LOCAL ALBACORE TUNA WITH CRISPY ROOT VEGETABLE AND A CITRUS VINAIGRETTE

DUNGENESS CRAB WITH CHILLED RICE MILK, GEODUCK CLAM AND A THYME INFUSED SAKE SORBET

LOUIS ROEDERER, CRISTAL 1999 REIMS

LOBSTER, ARTICHOKE AND BUGRGUNDY BLACK TRUFFLE TERRINE WITH ALMOND CREAM REDUCTION

MATSUTAKE MUSHROOM AND RUSSION FINGERLING POTATO RAGOUT WITH CURED PORK BELLY

LAVILLE HAUT-BRION 1999 PESSAC-LEOGNAN

ROASTED WILD SABLEFISH WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH RAVIOLI, SAUCE VIERGE AND MICRO CILANTRO

OLIVE OIL POACHED IVORY SALMON WITH PACIFIC RIM PETITE OYSTERS AND BRAISED PIG’S TAILS

DIDEIR DAGUENEAU SILEX 2003 POUILLY-FUME

PHEASANT BOUDIN BLANC WITH A LAMB RAGOUT AND NEW GUINEA PEPPER AND WINE SAUCE

ROASTED SADDLE OF VENISON WITH PINE NUT-APRICOT CRUST, CHANTERELLE MUSHROOMS AND BRAISED VENISON SHOULDER TORTELLINI

MOUTON ROTHSCHILD 1975 IN JEROBOAM & MAGNUM, PAUILLAC

QUINCE JELLY WITH TAHITIAN VANILA, CELERY HEART, BOSC PEAR, POACHED QUINCE AND CANDIED CELERY

ROASTED WINSAP APPLES WITH ROSEMARY INFUSED CIDER AND CARAMEL-HICKORY NUT ICE CREAM WITH GRAINS OF PARADISE

GiNGERBREAD CANNOLI WITH ROASTED SUGAR PUPKIN AND WHITE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE AND AN ORANGE CONFIT

CHATEAU RIEUSSEC 1986 SAUTERNES

MIGNARDISES

Gastronomista

I was conceived in Chicago, at the Sherman Hotel. If you think that this might be a tad too much information, you might imagine how I felt when my 82-year old mother brought conversation to a standstill around the dinner table last Christmas night, embroidering the tale with elaborate detail.

The point of the story is that I have a fondness for the gusty, broad-shouldered place and certainly for its restaurants. I manage to find my way there every so often.

Last night though, one of Chicago’s iconic chefs, Charlie Trotter, managed to find his way here. I have little truck for celebrity, especially the American version. I’d rather just eat dinner. But there’s certainly some that’s deserved through dint of hard work and the sort of supremely focused, almost tubular vision that delivers food at the level of what we ate last night.

I’ll begin by saying that this was a very relaxed evening—without a trace of chefly angst or audience pretension: we were there to eat. And drink. It was also very festive, the generous-of-spirit feeling that you might find in a dining room about a month from now.

I think that the Lumière crew were very wise to limit the number of guests, so that the intervals between the 12 courses could be spaced at just 12 to 15 minutes. Very impressive delivery and service.

Yvonne and I shared an amusing and occasionally hilarious table with Anthony von Mandl (Mission Hill), Jim Portis (Food Arts, New York), Jake Richler (The National Post, Toronto) and his girlfriend Lisa, and Sean Heather (The Irish Heather). David and Annabel Hawksworth of West and Top Table, and Michel Jacob of Le Crocodile, sat nearby.

The room was very simply decorated: white linen, low ivory roses in silver bud vases, white plates throughout the service. André, Neil and Chris paced the service attentively throughout.

You'll note from Vancitygirl's posting that Neil resisted the urge to place too many bottles in front of us, concentrating on quality. The standout pour was the Didier Dagueneau Silex 2003 Pouilly-Fume, as elegantly structured as my dining companion. Unfortunately the Rothschild was a little past its prime; it would have been interesting to compare the contents of the magnum to the jeroboam, which were siphoned into decanters. In my neighbourhood, that technique is more commonly used for gasoline. That's not to say it was unpleasant - far from it. But it didn't seem to impress that long finish that it's often known for.

The poached salmon with pig's tails was my favourite dish of the evening: first amongst equals though. The miniature boudin blanc on lamb ragout was a fitting homage to Michel Jacob.

Through the generosity of last nights' guests, and Rob Feenie and his partner, the evening raised $6,000 for the Chefs’ Table Society, however they gave up another $7,000 of potential revenue by including the seven younger chefs. And as Andrew reported earlier, Charlie Trotter capped the evening by drawing the name of Lucais Syme, (first cook at Adesso Bistro) from the hat. He’ll be rewarded with a two week stage, at Mr. Trotter’s expense, early next year, perhaps in that fallow period after Valentine’s Day, when, hopefully, Luciano can spare him.

Anthony von Mandl invited Charlie to visit the Okanagan this summer. I'll keep you posted.

After dinner, we retired to Feenie's for restorative tallboys of Czechoslovakian pilsner and Mexican post-prandials with the assembled chefs.

On behalf of CTS, many thanks to the many customers, staff and volunteers who helped support this lovely evening; it was true credit to our little town.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Unfortunately the Rothschild was past its prime; it would have been interesting to compare the contents of the magnum to the jeroboam.

cry.gif

Oh, how sad...how very, very sad. I was lucky enough to try a Lafite-Rothschild 1972 Pauillac in...1994 or so, and I think I will remember it till the day I die.

It sounds as though it was a really lovely evening, Jamie, thank you so much for giving us the glimpse through the curtains.

Did you have the Terrine or the Ragout? the Terrine sounds simply heavenly!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Unfortunately the Rothschild was past its prime; it would have been interesting to compare the contents of the magnum to the jeroboam.

cry.gif

Oh, how sad...how very, very sad. I was lucky enough to try a Lafite-Rothschild 1972 Pauillac in...1994 or so, and I think I will remember it till the day I die.

It sounds as though it was a really lovely evening, Jamie, thank you so much for giving us the glimpse through the curtains.

Did you have the Terrine or the Ragout? the Terrine sounds simply heavenly!

Both, actually, Deborah. And I had my hand slapped by Yvonne for swiping some of her ragout. Doug Psaltis should be so lucky.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Sounds like a fantastic evening.

I think I will have to pop into the Heather and see how Sean enjoyed. With a little prodding, he might post about it.

Luciano would be very "grinchy" not to send his young cook to Chicago. I sure that he will manage to free him up for the experience of a lifetime.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com