• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lumiere

mamster

Cate Simpson told me the name of some incredible wine guru who is doing the wine for the dinner but I promptly forgot. Perhaps she will chime in and remind me.

The name of the gentleman who selected the wines for the evening is Albert Givton.

A little bit more from his Web Page: CLICK

A.

Forgetting the $1000 price tag for a second, how many here see Trotter as a big draw for this dinner?

My dinner at CT's last year was good to very good, without being great (link to my extrememly uninformative post in the Trotter's thread). I'd say that the service was excellent, the highlight of the evening - but he's not bringing that with him, is he? I agree with Alex that Feenie, IMO, is a better cook than Trotter, and as such the Trotter marquee is not much of a draw for me.

For all the bickering going on here, I don't begrudge anyone for wanting to go to this, and I do hope that it is a success (which it will be, no doubts). In fact let me retract my earlier statement; if I won the 6/49 I'd go just to see what a $1000 dinner is all about. And I'd shell out another $2k; one seat for N and one for a lucky eG to act as the official site photog for the evening.

However, if I only won the extra (or even if I had $500 lying around), I would most definitely go to the Jacob/Feenie dinner (me and N, no photog). Now that is about as sure a thing as Peyton Manning throwing a TD on any given Sunday. --> And you could get some wicked BC/Alsace wines paired for that dinner for less than $750 pp I'd guess. Even including the Champagne aperatif!

Charlie Trotter was the guest chef at Toque! twice here in Montreal. I paid $300 for that meal (with wine) and it really wasn't worth even that. Why? Because Trotter has a different service style than most restaurants and it flubbed up the entire service. So wine was poured before plates arrived, or vice versa. I spoke to a waiter about it and he said it was just impossible to adapt to his style on such short notice.

Also the portions were beyond small, and really, nothing was spectacular. When he came back the next year I didn't even give it a second thought.

I would definitely like to dine at Trotter's, but in his own house, not as a guest chef.

I've just come off a road trip early (to attend Werner Forster's wake on Sunday) and read this thread. I thought that I might contribute what I know to consolidate, clarify and correct some of the information regarding the Lumière 10th Anniversary celebrations:

1. As below, there are a series of dinners and events--some by invitation, some public, and at various price points, with a couple gratis.

2. Some $6,000 has been pledged from one of these dinners (with Charlie Trotter) to The Chefs' Table Society of BC. Additionally, six apprentice chefs, nominated by their member-chefs, will attend the prep and dinner. Rob Feenie is a founding director of CTS (as am I) and I view this as an extraordinarily generous donation to the society.

3. One of the events honours suppliers and regulars, at no cost.

4. Rob and Charlie have cooked together many times and cook similarly--both pioneered small plates (tasting menu) dining in the mid-nineties. There is little reason to fear that they'll have any difficulty syncopating their service for 56 diners at this event.

Please find below a calendar of events for Lumière's 10th Anniversary celebrations this November, followed by details of each event.

November 7th Lumière 10th Anniversary party

November 13th "An Encore Performance" dinner

November 18th Charlie Trotter/ Rob Feenie dinner

November 21st Winemakers' Dinner

November 28th The Local Heroes Dinner--with Michel Jacob & Rob Feenie

Also this fall, Lumière welcomes back Chris Stearns from his year in Montreal. Join Chris and Jamie Boudreau behind the Lumière Tasting Bar Friday through Sunday starting October 7th.

PUBLIC EVENT -10th Anniversary Party

Monday, November 7th - 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm

10th Anniversary Party - Lumière Restaurant

Cocktail and Canapés Party

Official launch of a month of events celebrating Lumière's 10th anniversary

Invited guests will include media, industry, suppliers and regular guests. By Invitation. No cost.

PUBLIC EVENT - An Encore Performance

Sunday, November 13th - An Encore Performance

Former Lumière star chefs return, preparing a course each.

5:30 pm - 7:00 pm reception

7:00 pm dinner

A multi course dinner includes reception, 8 courses, wines, complimentary valet parking, taxes and gratuities. $195 per person.

Reservations guaranteed by credit card. Call 604-739-8155

Many of Vancouver's best young chefs have come through Lumière...tonight they return for an encore performance.... The kitchen will be lively tonight with chefs, once juniors in the Lumière kitchen, who have gone on to make their own mark. We expect to see parents, industry supporters and guests who have supported the careers of these talented young chefs. Together with Rob join Marnie Coldham (CRU) Ned Bell (Luciano's Restaurant Group) Tina Fineza (Diva, Bin 942, George) Guy Leggett (CRU) and other alumni for what should be a very fun evening.

Join Chefs Rob Feenie and Charlie Trotter for an intimate dinner at Lumière

November 18th, 2005

6:00 pm - 7:00 pm Vintage Champagne reception, canapés

7:30 pm - A multi course dinner shared between chefs Rob Feenie and Charlie Trotter. Dinner includes reception, 12 courses, vintage wines, complimentary valet parking, taxes and gratuities as well as signed copies of the menus and a signed cookbook from each chef. $1000 per person.

Reservations guaranteed by credit card and deposit - Call 604-739-8155

From the press release:

'In 1995 Rob traveled to Chicago and met Chef Charlie Trotter. This young chef inspired him and they kept in touch. On one of his trips to Chicago over those years Charlie inspired him, and encouraged him to risk serving tasting menus exclusively. Chef Trotter has been a friend and mentor and a fellow member of Relais and Chateaux, Traditions Qualité and 5 Diamond "club" and he travels back to Vancouver to once again share in a celebration with Rob.'

Apprentice and Student Chef Dinner with Charlie Trotter

Press reception, kitchen tour

6:00 pm - 7:00 pm Vintage Champagne Reception, canapés

7:30 pm - A multi course dinner shared between chefs Rob Feenie and Charlie Trotter. Dinner includes reception, 12 courses, vintage wines, complimentary valet parking, taxes and gratuities as well as signed copies of the menus and a signed cookbook from each chef, as well as photographs with the two chefs. Table for 6 in The Lumière Tasting Bar. No cost.

Chefs Rob Feenie and Charlie Trotter are donating 6 seats to a group of up and coming young British Columbia chefs. They will donate the cost of those dinners to the Chefs' Table Society of BC Scholarship and Bursary Fund. Young chefs need to be nominated by their executive chefs and names will be drawn by lottery. Overnight accommodation will be provided for any chef coming from out of town.

Public event - Michel Jacob, Lumière and Le Crocodile Dinner

Monday, November 28th - The Local Heroes Dinner

Chef Michel Jacob of Le Crocodile with Chef Rob Feenie

6:00 - 7:00 reception - 7:00 pm dinner

A multi course dinner with shared between chefs Rob Feenie and Michel Jacob with Rob preparing Le Crocodile dishes with a twist! Dinner includes reception, 8 courses, wines, complimentary valet parking, taxes and gratuities. $250 per person.

Reservations guaranteed by credit card. Call 604-739-8155

Chef Michel Jacob is part of the backbone of the Vancouver restaurant scene and he was the executive chef of a young up and coming cook back in the earl nineties by the name of Rob Feenie. Join Rob and Michel as they cook together for the first time since 1994.

Monday, November 21st - Winemakers Dinner

Lieutenant Governor's Awards of Excellence in British Columbia Wines

Winemakers Dinner

6:00 - 7:00 pm Reception

7:00 pm Dinner

A multi Course dinner prepared by Chef Rob Feenie paired with 10 outstanding award-winning wines. Dinner is for invited media, winemakers and winery principals. Our apologies, we have just 25 seats and no room for guests. Complimentary valet parking. By Invitation. No cost.

Join Winery Principals and Winemakers from:

Hawthorne Mountain Vineyards (See ya Later Ranch Brut 2003), Summerhill Pyramid Winery (Ehrenfelser 2004) CedarCreek Estate Winery (Platinum Reserve Chardonnay 2003), Wild Goose Vineyards and Winery (God's Mountain Riesling 2004), Domaine de Chaberton Estates (Gewurztraminer 2004), Jackson-Triggs (Vintners Proprietors' Grand Reserve Shiraz 2002), Burrowing Owl Estate Winery (Syrah 2003) Sandhill Wines (Small Lots 'Syrah' Phantom Creek Vineyard 2003), Poplar Grove Winery (Benchmark Cabernet Franc 2002) and CedarCreek Estate Winery (Platinum Reserve Meritage 2002).

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Hi Gulleter's! I am on my way to NU tonight for the first time, really looking forward to trying it and as I was out of town all of September as well as early October I missed all the reviews and buzz so I am looking forward to going in a bit blind!

To the subject (or topic) at hand - Lumiere is one of my clients so I will have the inside scoop on the complete menu with wine pairings as soon as it is finalized and will post it for you right away.

What I have seen of the menu is rather spectacular, as are the wines that are short-listed. I have not seen Chef Trotter's portion of the menu yet but I know Rob has.

Jamie is correct, Rob is donating 6,000 dollars to the Chefs table society as well as 6 seats to some up and coming young chefs/students/apprentices (a lottery draw) for the dinner.

I think it would be a great idea to lottery off one ticket so one of you could attend. If 100 of you put in $10.00...or 50 of you put in $20.00...I bet Neil at the Hammy or Arny would be happy hold the lottery tickets and maybe Jamie could do the draw.

Anyway, I will report back as soon as I hear the menu is finalized. Cate

PS If I get the time I will e-mail you about some pretty amazing meals I had in Portugal, Spain, London and Miami this Summer and Autumn (ate at Norman's in Miama, as well the the Blue Door, all very good)

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

Anyone think a couple grand for dinner for two is semi-obscene? As in "let them eat cake?"

Hell KT, I think people driving around in Hummers with gas at $1.20/litre obscene.

Mmmmmm .... cake.

A.

Sorry to go way off-topic ... but you started it. My neighbours boss has three. He lives in Roberts Bank. He commutes EVERY day to North Van in an original hummer. The wife drives around in an H2, part of that driving is taking the kids to play hockey in North and West Van. They will shortly receive their H3.

Now that's obscene.

Charlie trotter's fee is $25,000.00 US not sure if he is charging Fennie

1. Charlie Trotter is not charging a fee. In fact when he heard of the donation to the Chefs' Table Society and attendance of apprentice chefs, he offered to pay for the ingredients for his side of the menu, and their transportation from Chicago. Perhaps needless to say. foie gras will not be amongst them. The offer was accepted by the host restaurant.

2. The proforma budget for the evening, including Trotter's air fare and Vancouver accomodation, calls for the dinner to perform financially on a breakeven basis.

3. This suggests that the wines will be exceptional.

4. As of this writing, there are five seats remaining for the Trotter Dinner and a smattering for the others.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Charlie trotter's fee is $25,000.00 US not sure if he is charging Fennie

1. Charlie Trotter is not charging a fee. In fact when he heard of the donation to the Chefs Table Society and attendance of apprentice chefs, he offered to pay for the ingredients for his side of the menu and their transportation. Perhaps needless to say. foie gras will not be amongst them.

2. The proforma budget for the evening, including Trotter's air fare and Vancouver accomodation, calls for the dinner to perform financially on a breakeven basis.

3. This suggests that the wines will be exceptional.

4. As of this writing, there are five seats remaining for the Trotter Dinner and a smattering for the others.

Will you be one of the lucky few Jamie ?

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Yes. And get this--because it's for a good cause I'm waiving my usual US$25,000 fee.

Do you need a date ?

Not really. But I think you should come anyway. Apply to Andre for the Seniors' Discount.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Yes. And get this--because it's for a good cause I'm waiving my usual US$25,000 fee.

Do you need a date ?

Not really. But I think you should come anyway. Apply to Andre for the Seniors' Discount.

Becasue I could waive my $25.00 fee ! As it is for charity !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

^Jason, this is snipped from Jamie's post. Note the last line.

Apprentice and Student Chef Dinner with Charlie Trotter

Press reception, kitchen tour

6:00 pm - 7:00 pm Vintage Champagne Reception, canapés

7:30 pm - A multi course dinner shared between chefs Rob Feenie and Charlie Trotter. Dinner includes reception, 12 courses, vintage wines, complimentary valet parking, taxes and gratuities as well as signed copies of the menus and a signed cookbook from each chef, as well as photographs with the two chefs. Table for 6 in The Lumière Tasting Bar. No cost.

Chefs Rob Feenie and Charlie Trotter are donating 6 seats to a group of up and coming young British Columbia chefs. They will donate the cost of those dinners to the Chefs' Table Society of BC Scholarship and Bursary Fund. Young chefs need to be nominated by their executive chefs and names will be drawn by lottery. Overnight accommodation will be provided for any chef coming from out of town.

Perhaps Mr Maw or Cate (or Other) can answer the 2nd half of your question.

You know what? Let's really have a draw and see if we can't get a seat for an egulleter in there. Due to my lack of the 'alcohol' gene, it would be a waste for me to go to the Trotter dinner, but I am willing to organize this draw in a fair way. The winner must take pictures and report back in an articulate and enthusiastic manner.

Please PM me if you are really serious about participating - and based upon the number of interested parties - I will set the price for the draw (or let me know what your upper $ limit for participating in the draw is).

I also promise that if I win the 6/49 jackpot tonight - I will pay for two egulleters to go and report back in. Not that I bought a ticket or anything... everyone knows that lotteries are voluntary taxation and who is dumb enough to do that?

Edited by canucklehead (log)

Was wondering if the apprentice seats will be spread out through out the province.... and if anyone knows when the "draw" will be held for them.

Here's my understanding of the format.

1. Although the Chefs' Table Society is the beneficiary of this enterprise, any executive chef or proprietor can enter the name of an apprentice. This serves the dual purpose of encouraging more chefs, apprentices and proprietors to join the Society (at a nominal cost), especially those interested in the advancement of local, sustainable ingredients, no matter the dialect in which they cook, while also educating and encouraging emerging chefs.

This may also sponsor the addition--in the next edition of the CTS Cookbook--of such vaunted recipes as HSG Gingerbread Pudding and Kung Pow Phat Soy.

Not incidentally, CTS is a very inclusive and egallitarian collaborative and all are welcome. There will be future fundraising and membership drives announced before year-end.

2. You may enter the name of a deserving apprentice by contacting Lumière (see Kossmekate's post below for contact information).

3. The lottery will be held on November 10th.

4. I'll see to it that the names of the chosen half-dozen are published here if you like.

Cheers,

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

We have two deserving cooks that I entered in the lottery.  I was going to write a letter about how they came up from extreme poverty, have to go home and milk the cows after spending 19 1/2 hours in my kitchen, can't afford clogs so they cook with thier wrapped in newspapers, etc. etc.. But then I found out it was a lottery.... oh well

I'm in for $40 Neil

Jeff

Write the letter, Jeff. :smile: Even if your post doesn't expose, so to speak, exactly which extremity your fledgling apprentices are wrapping with newspapers.

Enraptured, or at least yours in clog dancing,

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

The letter is on the way Jamie, every little bit helps. Especially when you hear about how these two (brothers, by the way) could only afford cookbooks in Estonian! They need some direction, some guidance dammit. They do, however, make a fine borscht.

They need an evening with Chuck and Bob.

Jeff

PS. Free Dutch Clog Dancing lesons, any night, around 11, in my kitchen, after a few cold ones.

In CityFood tonight.

Yesterday I was amused to receive an email in reaction to the $1,000 price tag for a seat at Rob Feenie’s upcoming dinner at Lumière restaurant with famous American Chef Charlie Trotter (as listed in our calendar for November 18), which read as follows:

Air fare to Chicago - $500,

Hotel room (2 sharing) - $100,

Dinner at Charlie Trotter's restaurant - $400,

Skipping Feenie’s overpriced egofest in favor of the real thing..........Priceless.

pretty harmless, and then...

The jet-lagged, let’s-just-get-through-this behaviour displayed by Mr. Trotter on one of his past Rob Feenie-sponsored trips to Vancouver displayed a disconnected, unappreciative attitude and was a great disappointment to those in the audience who had made an effort to come out and see him.

Previous incidents of an insouciant, careless manner towards other generously paid private functions by Trotter have also been documented in the American press.

Obviously Mr. Trotter is aware that his fame is a commodity that others will try to utilize for their own agendas, and no doubt the man has a lot on his plate, but for the customers … anyone who is willing to pay that much for a forkful of a superchef’s cooking is hoping to satisfy much more than his appetite for a good meal.

Please discuss. :biggrin:

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Was wondering if the apprentice seats will be spread out through out the province.... and if anyone knows when the "draw" will be held for them.

Hi Jason, the draw will take place at Lumiere on November 10th. Young chefs from throughout BC are welcome to have their names submitted by their Executive Chef or perhaps it will be a pleasant surprise for someone! Please e-mail names to Lumière at Lumière@relaischateaux.com or fax to 604-739-8185, don't send it me please! (Gulp, I don't want the responsibility!)

We expect to get students, apprentices and cooks. The young cooks/students etc. get exactly what the other guests get at $1,000 but they don't have to pay. Rob gives those seats away, and then takes the $6000 those seats would have earned and donates that to the Chefs Table scholarship fund for young chefs. Basically a value of $12,000 being donated, $6,000 in cash and $6,000 in kind.

We sent an e-mail to all the restaurants we had addresses for, as well as culinary schools and some high schools asking for Exec Chefs to nominate a worthy young student or up and coming young chef. Those names (which I think they have about 40 right now) will be put into a "hat" and 7 names will be drawn. The 7th is a backup in case one of them can't make it. Someone unrelated to the whole event will do the draw. Lumiere is looking after accommodation for the student chef should they be coming in from the island, Okanagan etc.

Rob is also hosting a party for suppliers, regulars, media, friends and family on Nov 7th and a winemaker's dinner for media, winery owners and senior winemakers on Nov 21 as well as a media reception on Nov 18th for Chef Trotter, all at no charge. If anyone reading this is a supplier and hasn't yet heard from Lumiere please PM me.

The other dinners that require tickets are an alumni dinner on Nov 13th at $175 (Rob is subsidizing the cost of this dinner to keep the price down, it also includes dinner, wine, taxes, grat, parking) and a dinner with Michel Jacob on the 28th at $250

Sorry I haven't been able to post the menu yet, we are still waiting on confirmation of vintages.

Cate

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

In CityFood tonight.
Yesterday I was amused to receive an email in reaction to the $1,000 price tag for a seat at Rob Feenie’s upcoming dinner at Lumière restaurant with famous American Chef Charlie Trotter (as listed in our calendar for November 18), which read as follows:

Air fare to Chicago - $500,

Hotel room (2 sharing) - $100,

Dinner at Charlie Trotter's restaurant - $400,

Skipping Feenie’s overpriced egofest in favor of the real thing..........Priceless.

pretty harmless, and then...

The jet-lagged, let’s-just-get-through-this behaviour displayed by Mr. Trotter on one of his past Rob Feenie-sponsored trips to Vancouver displayed a disconnected, unappreciative attitude and was a great disappointment to those in the audience who had made an effort to come out and see him.

Previous incidents of an insouciant, careless manner towards other generously paid private functions by Trotter have also been documented in the American press.

Obviously Mr. Trotter is aware that his fame is a commodity that others will try to utilize for their own agendas, and no doubt the man has a lot on his plate, but for the customers … anyone who is willing to pay that much for a forkful of a superchef’s cooking is hoping to satisfy much more than his appetite for a good meal.

Please discuss. :biggrin:

A few comments, unprofessional as they may be:

- Extremely expensive

- I tried very hard to search out any info on this event in days prior to this, could not find anything. One of the bigger questions of mine, why is Lumiere's site so out of date? Not good for PR. Even trying to access it through the Relais site was not effective, no information on the event was posted there. Being the posted price, one would think it could be an international attraction?

- although we understand the history between R.F. and C.T., is the expense truely justified? Especially wondering after trying to find info, reading the latest and for never really knowing much of C.T. exploits in the last few years except for the glam mags and O., it's other chef's that would interest me. Their names don't come to mind right now, perhaps because they weren't highly published/advertised, but there are others that have expertise more in tune to today, are there not?

- of course the wines should be excellent, but, honestly, does wine define the cuisine? Cuisine should hold it's own, and be priced accordingly as far as the chef's offerings go. Not everyone can partake of the alcoholic beverages or want to, but many enjoy and are interested in fine cuisine. Lets hope that the event is described for what it is and what it is worth.

To sum it all up, I'm not quite sure if it's worth the cost, or even if it would be the best experience for the up and coming chefs. Sure, it would be a thrill, but is C.T. the one they would really admire and wish to emaluate? idk.... just musing.

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon