• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lumiere

mamster

No no.. I meant dishes ordered in the dining room, not the tasting bar (as the prices differ). I'm thinking the 3-course would then actually have prices for the seperate apps/mains/desserts like Parkside does.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Thanks guys, you rock!

The party is a wee table for 3, so space shouldn't be too much of an issue, assuming they are seated at a 4-top. All I have to figure out is the timing - if I can make there by dessert hour.

Thanks again  :biggrin:

Too bad you're not going to Nu. Desserts are $3.50 or something! Damn what a deal!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Lumiere does not have seperate prices for its a la carte menu, as this is what the tasting bar was designed for. Yes, they do have 14 menu items at $14 each in the tasting bar (probably one of the best kept "secrets" in the city, as, for example, where else can you get a seafood risotto with lobster, prawns and scallop served in a $175 plate, with $350 of cutlery, for that price?) , and they also have larger items (decouverte: "discovery: or 4 dishes in one, and the 16oz, usually shared, only sous-vided steak in the city)

Lumiere does have a seperate dessert menu for the dining room in case someone wants dessert after their a la carte dinner and they have chosen cheese as their third course, instead of dessert.

The desserts are also a little more substantial than Nu's, not to take away from what their dessert philosophy.

• 3 weeks later...

In today's Vancouver Sun there is an small blurb about the Lumiere 10th Anniversary Dinner. Charlie Trotter has been invited to cook along side Chef Feenie on November 18, and the hype is already beginning.

The 12-15 course dinner costs $1,000 and includes a champage reception, wine and gratuities. The theme will just be "good food and good wine", according to the article. Also, 6 seats will be given away to deserving young chefs.

Is anybody going? Does anybody KNOW anybody who's going? Can a dinner really live up to that kind of price?

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

I imagine there will be lots of reductions - except in the ticket price.

You must consider that celebrity-chef Trotter will have to be flown in from Chicago - and put up in nice digs, etc.

He likely comes with a high price-tag - much like booking a rock band.

Memo

Edited by Memo (log)

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Wow. I love Lumiere, but I have eaten at Trotters and even if I just won $22M from 6/49, I would not go to the $1000 dinner. More likely I would kick in another $500, fly to Spain, and eat at El Bulli.

On the other hand, I am intrigued by the "alumni" dinner ($195) and the Feenie/Jacob dinner ($250). On the third hand, I don't have the funds right now to attend those either. Again, waiting for the 6/49 plan to kick in.

Hope someone on the board goes to one or all of these special dinners, and posts photos and impressions.

Edited for spelling

Edited by BCinBC (log)

An article in the Sun this morning quoted Lumiere's publicist as stating that the $1000 pp tab will "just about cover" the actual cost of the event. I am a little skeptical of this, unless Trotter is flown in on a chartered Lear Jet and put up on the entire top floor of the Opus and given a Hummer as a thank-you gift.

Wow. I love Lumiere, but I have eaten at Trotters and even if I just won $22M from 6/49, I would not go to the $1000 dinner. More likely I would kick in another $500, fly to Spain, and eat at El Bulli.

Edited for spelling

I agree with Brian. I'd rather fly to Spain and eat and El Buli. At leasy then I get a vacation out of it too. If I go to Lumier's I would have to go to work the next day :biggrin:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

It said above that wine was included. You can bet that a dinner like this will be a one seating deal. 45-50 people max. And 6 seats taken up by young chefs who have had their dinners donated.......

How much do hummers go for these days?

I don't think that $1000 per person is unreasonable if the wines are appropriate. The food will be good with Trotter in town.

complain all you want. there will be people who will pay for this dinner.

I want to know where this $1500 package for airfare/accomodations/dinner at El Bulli exists. :hmmm: Maybe if Vancouver Lee rented a Cesna and flew us himself.

Given the stature of the event and the wines that are likely to be served, $1000 sounds about right to me. Still WAY out of my league, but as IrishGirl said, people will pay.

Oh, wait, CT doesn't do foie, does he?

:angry: Behave you! :laugh:

A.

Anyone think a couple grand for dinner for two is semi-obscene? As in "let them eat cake?" Someone should phone and book a table for six under the name Gecko, Gordon Gecko. Right on schedule, nostalgia for twenty years ago is on us, the age of conspicuous consuption circa '85 is back.

And if this sells out, I don't want to be a Vancouverite anymore.

Edited by Keith Talent (log)

Personally while my value scale does not allow me to participate in a meal which would cost $1000, I don't think that that price is out of line. Everytime I have eaten at Lumiere it has been in the area of $200. I would expect this event, Trotter and Feenie, to be 5 times as good or in that range. By the sounds of it, there about 1.5 times as many courses in this meal too.

That price tag doesn't shock me in the least. I just couldn't justify spending it given my budget.

Mark.

It said above that wine was included.  You can bet that a dinner like this will be a one seating deal.  45-50 people max.  And 6 seats taken up by young chefs who have had their dinners donated.......

How much do hummers go for these days?

I don't think that $1000 per person is unreasonable if the wines are appropriate.  The food will be good with Trotter in town.

complain all you want.  there will be people who will pay for this dinner.

I don't think we're complaining, or at least I wasn't, I was just saying that I would not go. However I agree that 1. the wine selection may contribute a lot to the value of the meal, and 2. there will be people who will shell out for this. They will be trying to make this The Event for the year, and as such, people will want to be seen.

I predict there will be some lovely foie gras, some airlifted seafood, and probably some rather recherché wines. Oh, wait, CT doesn't do foie, does he?

(Wine is included, isn't it?)

No, but instead of bread - they give you a computer.

Nice!!

It said above that wine was included.  You can bet that a dinner like this will be a one seating deal. 45-50 people max. And 6 seats taken up by young chefs who have had their dinners donated.......

That's pretty private. I'm sure it will sell out.

(Anyone know how many people the room at Lumiere holds? It's been a long time since I've been there...)

I've dined at Charlie Trotter's restaurant in Chicago and while the food was impeccably prepared and presented, I only had one dish which provided a "wow" factor and that was a chilled cucumber soup with crab. The flavors in the rest of the meal just didn't do it for me and the rasberries in the desert were way too tart. I've had meals at Lumiere which I thought were better. Tru on the other hand impressed the heck out of me for both presentation and taste.

Alex

It would be a fun evening but Helen and I will be spending less than that at our two dinners at Tetsuya's and Rockpool while in Australia that week. Looking forward to reading the reviews of the lucky e-gullet memebers who do shell out $1000.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG