• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flavor profiles for dessert cakes

atcake

If someone said "here's a list of flavor profiles, choose one to create a dessert cake (that would also stand up to wedding cake construction), with the possiblity of the recipe being published", which would you choose?

Kahlua type (or crema di Kahlua), cinnamon, and hazelnut (or other type of nut)

Creme Brulee, vanilla, cinnamon

White chocolate, apricot, cinnamon

Chai, chocolate and berry

Coconut, latte, vanilla or english toffee

Irish cream, white chocolate, marscapone

pistachio, raspberry, white chocolate

pumpkin, white chocolate, brandy

green tea, nut (you choose), spice (again, you choosse)

butter rum, caramel and pecans

hot chocolate, marshmallow, cinnamon or gingerbread

fig, pear, white chocolate

Mint, irish cream, chocolate (or white chocolate)

plum, chai (or other spice), white chocolate or zabaione

pomegranate, lime, chocolate

pomegranate, chocolate, orange

pistachio, pomegranate, vanilla

pomegranate, banana, cream cheese

pom, banana, pistachio

pom, pear, clove

or these 2 flavor combos, where you could incorporate more imagination:

fig and cardamom

pistachio and raspberry

pistachio and pomegranate

apricot and black currant

almond and black currant

pear and chestnut

fig and apricot

hazelnut and cinnamon

plum and chai

Edited by atcake (log)

I'd go with one of the following:

Kahlua type (or crema di Kahlua), cinnamon, and hazelnut (or other type of nut)

Chai, chocolate and berry, but I'd replace the berry with something else. Like cherry.

hot chocolate, marshmallow, cinnamon (not gingerbread, i fpossible, I'd rather replace the marshmallow with something else, too, like mint or chile. Or maybe just mint-flavoured or chile-flavoured marshmallow??)

Mint, irish cream, chocolate (not white chocolate, because I usually don't like white chocolate)

This is such a large question that it is difficult to answer. I think season of the year matters, customer taste, what else is being served etc.

But, I don't want to let you down, so I'll give it a go. Also, check out THIS topic on flavor profiles that are more general to desserts, not just cakes.

Irish cream, white chocolate, marscapone

pistachio, pomegranate, vanilla

apricot and black currant

pear and chestnut

Well, it has more to do with a competition we're setting up in Cleveland for January of 2009. We want the tasting competition to be more complex than just a plain ol' chocolate cake.

We did one this year and it was Chocolate Masterpieces, and only a few showed up and those who did were marked "average" by the judges.

Figured if we had more input from a wide range of pastry chefs, we'd entice more competition and competitors. Amoretti will be supplying the flavor compounds to create the cakes and there is a possibility of the recipe being published by them or another source.

I've been looking for that thread and I owe you a big THANK YOU for linking back to it. I knew there were more combos we weren't thinking about.

As for the cherry replacement, what type of cherry would you be thinking about? There are so many to choose from, i.e., black, sour, marichino, choke, etc.

pumpkin, white chocolate, brandy

fig, pear, white chocolate

These combos sound tasty to me.

There doesn't seem to be that any berry/fruit whipped cream combos however, I think the fig and pear would perhaps work better with whipped cream than white chocolate.

I like the idea of fig, pear and goat cheese but I I know that's not one of the original choices :smile: For that matter I like raspberry and goat cheese too.

I would like chocolate, hazelnut, apricot and coffee or chocolate, cherry, apricot and hazelnut

Sticking to your list, I would probably lean towards the pistachio, raspberry, white chocolate. There are other combos not on the list that I would probably go with if I were a participant (not because they would be better, I just like to go with unusual things at group events to minimize the chances of something similar from someone else... that doesn't always turn out to be a good thing) but that one from your list is a tasty combo.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Personally I like the ones with pom, and the sounds of anything with coffee like the latte one. I dont think people go out too far with wedding cake flavors, but the pistachio sounds really good too. I would love to line up and taste them all though if you need a tester. If you have all the flavors available, you should try some combos and see what seems to really come together the best for you.

Alicia

Thanks! Actually, we'll be getting the compounds for the flavors we choose for the competition.

If there is a different combo that you'd rather see on here, by all means, please don't be shy! That's why I asked.

I also agree that people don't go too outside the box with wedding cakes but we want to show them that they can and see the results can be a wonderful dessert to serve their guests.

Edited by atcake (log)

Thanks!

We've decided to submit the following two options to Amoretti. Hope some of you might be interested in competing.

Pistachio - raspberry - white chocolate

Cinnamon - hazelnut - cherry

• Similar Content

• By artiesel
      Has anyone successfully made candied chestnuts (marrons glace) at home which even remotely resemble the professional ones you get from Europe?

I've tried making them using RTE Chinese chestnuts from Costco with varying success:
      One batch became leathery after being simmered in (what started out as) simple syrup which had its sucrose concentration gradually increased.

I have also tried soaking the chestnuts in hot water prior to beginning the candying process.  The nuts, once again, developed a tough skin after a few days.  To reverse the tough skins I added more water to the syrup, broke the nuts up into pieces and simmered them gently for a few hours.
      While some pieces have a tough skin, many of them have taken on a candied texture.

Should any further attempts to candy chestnuts be attempted using the method of slowly simmering them in simple syrup?

Please share any feedback ypu may have.  Thanks!
    • By ShylahSinger
      Hello! I'm fairly new to this site so I don't know if my search was weak. I'm trying to find a way to make Mandarin orange puree at home, but I couldn't find anything even similar in the forum. I am a home cook, but I have been making chocolate bonbons and other confections for over 4 years (intermitantly). It is too expensive for me to purchase this online- not because of the price of the puree, but the cost of shipping makes it prohibative. The recipes I've seen online are all differant and don't seem to be what I need. 
      I would love any help with this! I look forward to hearing and learning from those who have much, much more experience than me. Thanks!
    • By Darienne
      In hopes of sleeping better, etc, etc, I have currently given up gluten, dairy and now sugar.  The gluten and dairy pose no problems...the sugar does.  I am not happy using mannitol or erythritol or any of those artificial sweeteners...they give me severe digestive problems.   But I can tolerate stevia very nicely.  The only problem is that there doesn't seem to be much sweetened with this ingredient.

I do have a carob/coconut oil/peanut butter/stevia candy of sorts.  I don't really like it all that much, but it does work.  That's about it.

Has anyone any recipes for desserts using stevia?  Thanks.
    • By Janet Taylor
      Ever since Todd talked making cupcakes I have been cupcake crazy. Although, I am not a cake maker but more of a pie person.
      My first dessert that I love that I make is my Coconut Cream Pie w/heavy whipped cream. I don't use low fat anything and probably angioplasties is necessary after this baby.
      My second is Peach Cobbler w/rich vanilla ice cream. I never met a cobbler that I didn't like, but peach is my favorite.
      I don't make these often because I wouldn't be able to get through the front door if I did.
      How about yours?
      .....Janet
    • By amyneill
      Hi all!! 
      I work at an amazing little New Zealand Style ice cream shop in the beautiful Denver Colorado. I was hoping to get a little help on the subject of adding fruit into ice cream after extracting it and ensuring that, when the ice cream is frozen, the fruity bits don't turn into rock hard shards. I am planning on doing a cherry chocolate ice cream and I was going to soak some dried cherries that we're no longer using for something else. I was planning on using some brandy and a ton of sugar, but I was really hoping someone had a tried and true method they could send my way so that I KNOW that the fruit will be luscious as it's frozen. If you have a certain sugar ratio. I know there is the brix test, but to be honest it's been many years since pastry school and I am very rusty. Would love to hear from some of my fellow sugar-heads. 
      Thank you!
      Amy