• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big Shot sodas

HungryC

Can anyone out there enlighten me about the history of Big Shot sodas? I've figured out that they're distributed by Winnsboro Beverage Packers, a wholly owned subsidiary of National Beverage (which also distributes LaCroix, Faygo, etc). Would that be Winnsboro as in Louisiana? Currently, Winnsboro Packers seems to be located in Plantation, FL. TIA.

Can anyone out there enlighten me about the history of Big Shot sodas?  I've figured out that they're distributed by Winnsboro Beverage Packers, a wholly owned subsidiary of National Beverage (which also distributes LaCroix, Faygo, etc).  Would that be Winnsboro as in Louisiana?  Currently, Winnsboro Packers seems to be located in Plantation, FL.  TIA.

I know that, at least several years ago, they were still being made in Winnsboro. I will check on it for you today.

I learned this little tidbit in a desperate, and ultimately successful, search for a couple of handsome Big Shot t-shirts.

What's interesting about it to me is if Zulu gets any royalties out of the deal. After all, the Big Shot depicted is, essentially, swiped right off of a float.

And, just in case you were wondering, Pineapple Big Shot is a fine mixer with a decent rum and a hunk of lime. Really.

B

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Big Shot is a brand of regionally distributed (in Louisiana) carbonated beverages--it comes in flavors like pineapple, strawberry, creme soda, etc. (Seems to me that Big Shot is made in "snowball" flavors!) The package illustration is a caricature of the "big shot"--a fat-headed man with a fedora, big cigar, in a suit....the exaggerated image of the "big shot" character/position as seen in the Zulu social aid & pleasure club's annual mardi gras parade. It's nearly the cheapest canned stuff you can buy, and you'll occasionally see a Big Shot soda machine outside a convenience store.

• 11 months later...

Bumping up my Big Shot query from last year: my Louisiana studies students will be tasting Big Shot next week, so I'm contemplating the 'shots. Has anyone seen a Big Shot vending machine around town? Used to be a common site; post-Katrina, not so common. I saw one outside Gator's in Central City, but all the others seem to have disappeared. If you see one, PM please!

Bumping up my Big Shot query from last year:  my Louisiana studies students will be tasting Big Shot next week, so I'm contemplating the 'shots.  Has anyone seen a Big Shot vending machine around town?  Used to be a common site; post-Katrina, not so common.  I saw one outside Gator's in Central City, but all the others seem to have disappeared.  If you see one, PM please!

There used to be one outside the little Zara's in the Lower Garden District.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)