• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap eats/inexpensive restaurants

Margaret Pilgrim

• 1 month later...

In today's Scope, F. Simon calls the 9.90 E menu at L'Auberge, 124, boulevard du Montparnasse, in the 14th, 01 56 54 01 55, the deal of the century.

In addition, the "Dossier" is all about weathering the economic crisis with stuff like a 1 E sandwich at Goutu, 51, rue Le Pelletier, in the 9th.

More in the Digest Monday.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

In today's Scope, F. Simon calls the 9.90 E menu at L'Auberge, 124, boulevard du Montparnasse, in the 14th, 01 56 54 01 55, the deal of the century.

More precisely, he said that we've been told it's the deal of the century. But it's not, according to his review.

More precisely, he said that we've been told it's the deal of the century. But it's not, according to his review.

Indeed it sounds awful; the words "service station" and "banal" as well as hiding the 9.90 meal chalkboard in a corner are enough for me to not even consider it for backpacking relatives.

John Talbott

.... hiding the 9.90 meal chalkboard in a corner

:laugh: Sounds more like the Greek town come-ons than Montparnasse.

eGullet member #80.

My under 50 eur list in Paris include......le Bistrot d'à côté,

Julot: given you wrote this in July 08 and only recently (2 weeks ago) folks like Rubin reviewed it, has anything changed between July and February?

Still think it merits a visit?

Thanks.

John Talbott

• 1 month later...

OK, how about this; do you believe that a resto called Frenchie, that I'm told by secret sources, Daniel Rose of ex and future Spring has been to two or three times, has menus at lunch for 16 and 19 and 27 or 33 € at dinner can serve product-driven food so that two folk can be most satisfied (with a full bottle of wine and three coffees) for 62.90 €?

Ah ha. Check it out: Frenchie, 5, rue du Nil in the 2nd, 01 40 39 96 19, closed Sundays, Mondays and Tuesday lunch, chef’d by an ex-Jamie Oliver, ex-New York but very French guy, hence the name.

John Talbott

Julot: given you wrote this in July 08 and only recently (2 weeks ago) folks like Rubin reviewed it, has anything changed between July and February?

Thanks.

I'm always up for a Rostang experience (save l'Absinthe), and BAC has been excellent for over 20 y. The difficulty is to keep up with whether Rostang's still in. He's not in the one on av. de Villiers anymore but the original one on rue Flaubert still works very well, methinks. btw, a recent visit at Jarrassse was awesome -- see my pics at http://picasaweb.google.com/ZeJulot/Jarrasse#

I was given a tip on this a week or two ago by a British internet guy I met at the bar of the Hotel Jules...he'd been a dozen times and loved it.

OK, how about this; do you believe that a resto called Frenchie, that I'm told by secret sources, Daniel Rose of ex and future Spring has been to two or three times, has menus at lunch for 16 and 19 and 27 or 33 € at dinner can serve product-driven food so that two folk can be most satisfied (with a full bottle of wine and three coffees) for 62.90 €?

Ah ha.  Check it out: Frenchie, 5, rue du Nil in the 2nd, 01 40 39 96 19, closed Sundays, Mondays and Tuesday lunch, chef’d by an ex-Jamie Oliver, ex-New York but very French guy, hence the name.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

I heard Rostang sold Jarrasse....

Thanks.

I'm always up for a Rostang experience (save l'Absinthe), and BAC has been excellent for over 20 y. The difficulty is to keep up with whether Rostang's still in. He's not in the one on av. de Villiers anymore but the original one on rue Flaubert still works very well, methinks. btw, a recent visit at Jarrassse was awesome -- see my pics at http://picasaweb.google.com/ZeJulot/Jarrasse#

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

I was given a tip on this a week or two ago by a British internet guy I met at the bar of the Hotel Jules...he'd been a dozen times and loved it.

Ah ha.  Check it out: Frenchie, 5, rue du Nil in the 2nd, 01 40 39 96 19, closed Sundays, Mondays and Tuesday lunch, chef’d by an ex-Jamie Oliver, ex-New York but very French guy, hence the name.

Me too, will report in a bit.

John Talbott

chef’d by an ex-Jamie Oliver, ex-New York but very French guy, hence the name.

I wonder what ex-Jamie Oliver means? He has two restaurant concepts. Fifteen which is a charity that takes kids with problems (homeless, drug problems, etc.) and trains them to work in professional kitchens, the kids are mentored by professional chefs at the restaurants in London, Cornwall, and Amsterdam (I think the one in Melbourne closed). It would be great if it was a graduate of Fifteen who has found a solid career in food.

His other concept/chain is "Jamies Italian" which is mass market high street cooking.....not good.

The original Jamie connection used to be the River Cafe in London, as there are a number of good chefs who came out of the River Cafe at the same time Jamie was there. I am not certain Jamie was ever really a chef (if so only a very junior one), I understood TV stardom whisked him away from professional cooking at such an early stage of his career he hadn't really established himself.

chef’d by an ex-Jamie Oliver, ex-New York but very French guy, hence the name.

I wonder what ex-Jamie Oliver means? He has two restaurant concepts. Fifteen which is a charity that takes kids with problems (homeless, drug problems, etc.) and trains them to work in professional kitchens, the kids are mentored by professional chefs at the restaurants in London, Cornwall, and Amsterdam (I think the one in Melbourne closed). It would be great if it was a graduate of Fifteen who has found a solid career in food.

Anna Polonsky in Le Fooding indicated that it was Fifteen. When I was chatting him up I didn't ask specifics but it sounds like he's bounced around quite a bit.

John Talbott

I was told Fifteen

blog

ok

blog