• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap eats/inexpensive restaurants

Margaret Pilgrim

Mark,

A couple of great (non-starred, just good cooking) places right near rue Cler would be the following:

Cafe du Marche - Rue Cler

-great lunch and people watching on the market street

Le Comptoir du 7eme - at the Metro Ecole Militaire

La Brunie - 29, rue Surcouf

Le Florimond - 19, Av. de la Motte Piquet

Le Clos des Gourmets - 16, av. Rapp

Le Square - 31, rue Sainte Dominique (the other side of the Invalides from where you are staying)

L'affriole - 17 rue Malar

Mark, to add to David's great neighborhood list

Au Bon Acceuil

14 rue Monttessuy, 7th, 01-47-05-46-11

They just reopened - remodelled - a short block from the Eiffel Tower; modern bistro food; dinner menu - appetizer, main, dessert - for only 30 euros

Violon d'Ingres

135 rue Saint Dominique, 7th, 01-45-55-15-05

Michelin 1-star - though arguably should still be a 2-star; comfortably luxurious; 3-course lunch menu only 39 euros

I still haven't been able to find the accent for the "o" in "a bientot"

bientôt?

ô = ALT + 0244

Don't really know for sure if that's the character you're looking for, but even if it's not, you can probably find it on this page:

http://www.starr.net/is/type/altnum.htm

It's a pain, but you can enter in any charcter by holding down the <ALT> key and then entering the 4 digit character code. You can also use Character Map, found on the Start menu under Accessories, but about as much fun as pulling teeth.

In Word you can enter accents similar to how the Mac handles it.

Don't know why Microsoft doesn't just add that to Windows itself:

é = Ctrl+' and then e

Just ask Clippy "International characters?" and he'll bring up a list.

C'mon, admit it, you know you love Clippy!

reshed_01.gif

• 8 months later...

I'm off to Paris after Easter for a few days, with a companion. It's a big trip and the budget is fairly tight, and our friends in Paris are students with limited spending power. So... although 'cheap' and 'reasonable' are very relative terms here on eGullet, this post really is looking for tight-budget solutions. A prix fixe of EUR 25.00 would be hard for our friends to pay for more than one special evening, so I'm looking for suggestions of reliably decent food in the range of EUR10-25 for a prix fixe or two/three-course meal, not including drinks.

Our interest is traditional French fare, and good desserts/patisserie :wink: Staying near Bastille, but happy to travel. I've already taken note of the valuable tips of eGulleteers regarding cafes, etc, and more expensive options for when we're not dining with friends. Anyway, suggestions gratefully received! :smile:

Edited by lamington (log)

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

Paris is my favorite place to eat on the cheap. A bohemian spot with centuries of history behind it, just next to the Pantheon, is l'Ecurie. Another with history, much better known and with more indoor sit-down space is Polydor. (But check the total on your bill before you pay it.)

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

Chez Casimir wonderful food on a budget...in the 10th.

La Cuisine de Bar is actually owned by Poilane bakery - and right next door...and great for breakfast or lunch on a budget.

La Cuisine de Bar

8 RUE DU CHERCHE MIDI 75006 PARIS

01 45 48 45 69

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

John is too modest to say so himself but his Paris Bistros reviews is one of the best collections of essays (well-written and well-observed) about bistro dining in Paris today that I've come across.

But not too modest to quote from and link to them continuously! :laugh:

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Try L'Estrapade in the 5th -- at the top of the hill, about one block behind (south) of the Pantheon. Very small, so reservations are essential. I suggest that you call ahead and confer with Madame to ensure that they will have a menu that night in your price range.

I agree with the suggestions as Ecurie and Polydor. At least the latter did not take credit cards as of a year ago, so don't get caught "short" :)

Edited by rpdkpd (log)

Try L'Estrapade in the 5th -- at the top of the hill, about one block behind (south) of the Pantheon.

L'Estrapade

15 RUE DE L'ESTRAPADE 75005 PARIS

01 43 25 72 58

And an incredible cavern of a place, with waiters as ancient as the decor and the menus: Chartier, 7, rue du Faubourg Montmartre , 9th. Metro: Grand Boulevards. Open: Daily 11:30am - 3pm. 6pm - 10pm.

And one of my great favorites -- help yourself to as much as you like: La Cave de l'Os à Moëlle

Edited by John Whiting (log)

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Great tips, folks! Thank you. I enjoy John's site, but was afraid that inflation might have pushed most of the places he reviews so wonderfully into the very upper end of the price range...

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

. . . inflation might have pushed most of the places he reviews so wonderfully into the very upper end of the price range...

Most of those reviewed on my site are indeed more expensive, but the ones I've specifically mentioned will still be as cheap as you can find without descending into rubbish. Add also Au Bon Coin, still a great bargain at lunchtime. It's in none of the guide books, and so it is packed out only with locals. A waiter at l'Ecurie put me onto it.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

For EUR 10 to 15 my hangout is Cafe de la Nouvelle Mairie, near Pantheon. I know it instinctively but I guess it is Rue St. Jacques. They have very good non filtered Beaujolais and Brouilly by glass, 3 or so appetizers and 3 or so main dishes which vary day to day(home made saucisson with aligot is outstanding and so is the charcuterie plate and fromages) and good coffee for French standards. Skip desserts. The clientele is typically Sorbonne professors and student couples. You will witness animated conversations and sit elbow to elbow with regulars. No English spoken but it is not needed. Be aware that French, esp. ladies, are smokers.

What a great thread-I took advantage of ridiculously cheap airfare on SAS and am going next week, but I'm a grad student and don't have too much to spend. If anyone else has recommendations, esp. in the 7th, I'd love to hear them.

What a great thread-I took advantage of ridiculously cheap airfare on SAS and am going next week, but I'm a grad student and don't have too much to spend. If anyone else has recommendations, esp. in the 7th, I'd love to hear them.

Buy a copy of Let's Go (the Harvard Student travel guides) - think they have both Paris - and France in general. I am far from being a student - but their sightseeing recommendations are excellent - and I have liked the occasional budget/student restaurant I've tried (sorry - but I'll pass on the youth hostels :smile: ). Don't forget to bring your student ID for things like museum discounts. Robyn

Buy a copy of Let's Go (the Harvard Student travel guides) - think they have both Paris - and France in general. I am far from being a student - but their sightseeing recommendations are excellent - and I have liked the occasional budget/student restaurant I've tried (sorry - but I'll pass on the youth hostels :smile: ). Don't forget to bring your student ID for things like museum discounts. Robyn

Robyn,

We're never too old to learn. :biggrin:

I just wanted to reinforce Robyn's point about the value of a student ID. It's much more valuable in Europe than in the US with many cultural discounts and for people our age the disadvantage is that you have to be a registered student and not necessarily someone who's learning anything. :laugh:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Buy a copy of Let's Go (the Harvard Student travel guides) - think they have both Paris - and France in general.  I am far from being a student - but their sightseeing recommendations are excellent - and I have liked the occasional budget/student restaurant I've tried (sorry - but I'll pass on the youth hostels  :smile: ).  Don't forget to bring your student ID for things like museum discounts.  Robyn

Robyn,

We're never too old to learn. :biggrin:

I just wanted to reinforce Robyn's point about the value of a student ID. It's much more valuable in Europe than in the US with many cultural discounts and for people our age the disadvantage is that you have to be a registered student and not necessarily someone who's learning anything. :laugh:

My husband takes courses at the University of North Florida. So when we go places - his dad gets the senior discount - he gets the student discount - and I'm the only full fare :biggrin: . Robyn

I will second the recommendation to buy a copy of Let's Go. It has become my favorite travel book over the past few years and when I traveled to Paris for tourism, it really helped me in getting around. A student ID (especially one of the international ones) can definitely be helpful in getting into museums and other sights for free or a reduced price, but even if you are a student, it doesn't always work. Not sure about Paris, but I know in London some places wouldn't give discounts for students above a certain age (typically 25).

Hi Kiliki, the 7th is generally a rather pricey area but there is one restaurant, Le Bistrot du 7eme, 56, bd de Latour-Maubourg (just across the street from the metro of the same name) which offers a three course menu for 16 euros. Lots

of choices, including normally expensive dishes such as Escalope de Veal, Salmon and Confit de Carnard. Always packed, call first for a reservation-01 45 51 93 08. A second pick would be Cafe Constant, 139 r. St. Dominique; open all day, and they don't mind if you just order a salad etc. No reservations taken but the wait is usually short. JP

To those above, I'd add Le Pre Verre, 01.43.54.59.47 - 8 Thenard, 5th (Maubert/St. Michel). It's pretty new and inexpensive, there's a fast business-lunch type "menu" at 12E. It's very bright and newish looking, tightly-placed tables, a good wine list on a huge ardoise, a regular menu at 24E; I've been a half dozen times and liked things like scallops on pured petit pois with a caramel sauce, gigot parmentiere, banana & pineapple dessert. I think it's the Best Cheap Eat this year.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

One way to eat cheap in Paris is to eat ethnic. Paris has fantastic ethnic food, Vietnamese, Moroccan, Algerian, Senegalese, to name but a few.

Unfortunately, most people in the know guard their secret ethnic places like a lioness guarding her young, since it is so easy to tip the balance and inundate those little places with gastronomic tourists.

One of my favorite places, that I am willing to share, that is, is Le Bambou. It is on R. Baudricourt, cross street Ave. d'Ivry, near Place d'Italie. I love their big giant bowl of fantastically fragrant Pho, and Bahn Cuon, a steamed crepe with pork sausage and bean sprouts.

After dinner, you should wander that neighbourhood for fun. Just on Ave. d'Ivry around the corner from the restaurant is a lovely tea salon L'Empire du The, which specializes in Chinese and Japanese tea. They also serve some really nice macarons with Asian flavors, like green tea and black sesame.

Practically across the street from the salon is an Asian green grocer, who carries all sorts of interesting vegetables and herbs. That's worth a look as well.

I also second John Whiting's recommendation for La Cave de l'Os à Moelle. The food is like the cooking of the French Grandmère you've never had, but would love to.

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste