• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I am a bad customer

pax

I made a reservation for 8 people at 7 pm at a local non-chain restaurant. One couple held us up.

When I realized (at 6:45) that we would be 15 minutes late, I rang the restaurant and asked if it would be a problem to hold our reservation. They agreed, and we did get there within that time.

It turned out that the restaurant was not overfull, so once I got there, I didn't feel too badly, especially because we made up for lateness with gluttony with a side order of discreet bachannalia, but for that half hour, I was feeling bad.

What should I have done? I wanted to slip the host a little something extra when we got there, but I wasn't carrying any cash and my husband told me I was being silly when I asked him for some.

Edited by pax (log)
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Yeah, I felt bad...a table for 8 on a Saturday night? I felt really sucky.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

I made a reservation for 8 people at 7 pm at a local non-chain restaurant. One couple held us up.

When I realized (at 6:45) that we would be 15 minutes late, I rang the restaurant and asked if it would be a problem to hold our reservation. They agreed, and we did get there within that time.

It turned out that the restaurant was not overfull, so once I got there, I didn't feel too badly, especially because we made up for lateness with gluttony with a side order of discreet bachannalia, but for that half hour, I was feeling bad.

What should I have done? I wanted to slip the host a little something extra  when we got there, but I wasn't carrying any cash and my husband told me I was being silly when I asked him for some.

In that situation, the proper thing to do is to show consideration and good manners by calling the restaurant to let them know that you would be a bit late. Since that is exactly what you did, nothing further was required. I'm sure the host greatly appreciated that you took a moment to let them know that you were delayed. Unfortunately, it's an all too rare occurrence when someone calls to let a restaurant know that they will be late or may need a smaller or larger table due to a change in the number of dinner guests.

Edited by miles717 (log)

-Mike-

Well, I appreciate your opinions. I really hate being disrespectful and keeping other people waiting and I feel a little better now. In my job if you keep me waiting 15 minutes the chances are, I'm going to bump you, so my mind set is to get a move on.

Thanks.

I don't really think you did anything wrong, in fact, you were quite courteous.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

• 2 weeks later...

Pax, you were more than admirable in your actions. As a maitre d', I have firsthand experience in this: all too often bookings will show up an hour late and still expect their table to be held, or a party of eight will arrive with only four and tell me "since it's only four now we'll have a booth." If my bookings call and tell me they'll be late, I will save that last booth for them. It's the ones that inconvenience me and expect good seatings that are the "bad" guests.

Bartender @ Balliceaux, Richmond, Va

"An Irish Lie is just as good as the truth."

- Egan Dean, Table 6 cook

• 1 month later...
It's the ones that inconvenience me and expect good seatings that are the "bad" guests.

Exactly. Fifteen minutes, especially with a polite call, is totally acceptable. In fact, if you're fifteen minutes late for my second or third turn on a table, I'm grateful for a little wiggle room!

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."

Hah, yeah you're fine....last night I had a table of 16 not show up, and not answer our call to see if they were actually coming. Not cool.

Torren O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child

I had a no show on Saturday (doesn't sound alot, but i only seat22) who called at 7pm to ask for directions (the table was booked for 8pm) Now you would think that they were going to show up, or call again if they got lost? Noooo, they just didn't turn up .Fuckers!

16? Jesus, did youtake a deposit?

I had a  no show on Saturday (doesn't sound alot, but i only seat22) who called at 7pm to ask for directions (the table was booked for 8pm) Now you would think that they were going to show up, or call again if they got lost? Noooo, they just didn't turn up .Fuckers!

16? Jesus, did youtake a deposit?

I occasionally wonder about these people. Sure, they're probably just jerks 99% of the time, but do you ever muse about what *really* happened to your no-shows? Car accident? Marriage-ending fight? Fight ending in passionate make-up sex that made them forget about dinner? It's kind of weird to think about sometimes.

Or maybe I'm just morbid...

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."