• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pyrex dessert dish -- safe for torch use?

jsmeeker

I received a small kitchen torch for Christmas. I want to use it to make some creme brulle. The only type of dish I have to bake them and serve them in are little 6 ounce pyrex "dessert dishes". You know the kind. The little glass dishes everyone uses for mise en place.

It says something "not for stovetop or broiler use" on them. Now, I know they are oven safe. I've used them to make creme caramels before. But if I make a creme brulle, will i have issues when it comes to making the sugar top??

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

They'll be fine. The torch isn't going to hurt them in the time it takes to caramelize the sugar. I've bruleed in champagne glasses. I used a torch to brown meringue on lemon meringue cupcakes that were in paper baking cups without burning the paper. Your pyrex will be fine.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I sure hope they're safe for it---I do it all the time! Just don't deliberately focus the torch on the glass: the issue with the broiler and stovetop is when one part of the glass gets much hotter than the rest, which can cause cracks or even a more violent "explosion" due to the buildup of stress. A quick hit with the torch is harmless.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

For a counterpoint, check here. The most interesting point to note is that the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, which maintains a database of injuries suffered due to consumer products, has no indications that this extremely-widely-used product is responsible for any injuries that are not related to dropping the product.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

For a counterpoint, check here. The most interesting point to note is that the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, which maintains a database of injuries suffered due to consumer products, has no indications that this extremely-widely-used product is responsible for any injuries that are not related to dropping the product.

Thank you for that link. After reading the reports of injuries I quickly questioned what abuse had taken place but had no way of suggesting an authority that would back up my sense that Pyrex when properly used is very safe.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thank you for that link.  After reading the reports of injuries I quickly questioned what abuse had taken place but had no way of suggesting an authority that would back up my sense that Pyrex when properly used is very safe.

It is important to note that Pyrex can shatter, it is simply more resistant to it than other ceramics. If it gets scratched or damaged in any way, throw it out. It cannot deal with high gradients in temperature, so you should always preheat your oven, etc. I see no credible evidence that it spontaneously explodes absent these causes, however. Checking ConsumerReports.org gives no hits, and I would expect them to be on the problem like rabid dogs if there were a real issue. I think the stat is something like over 100 million pieces of Pyrex are manufactured every year.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I have used a Bunsen burner to dry labbglass made out of pyrex on several occasions, never had any problem. The labbglass tends to be much thinner but generally it should be safe. The only time I wouldn't do it would be if I saw some sort of crack in the middle of the glass.

I have used a Bunsen burner to dry labbglass made out of pyrex on several occasions, never had any problem. The labbglass tends to be much thinner but generally it should be safe. The only time I wouldn't do it would be if I saw some sort of crack in the middle of the glass.

I think the cracks and weaknesses are easy to overlook.

If it breaks on yah I think you can be assured there was one.

It is important to note that Pyrex can shatter, it is simply more resistant to it than other ceramics. If it gets scratched or damaged in any way, throw it out. It cannot deal with high gradients in temperature, ...  I see no credible evidence that it spontaneously explodes absent these causes, however. ...

Yes indeed.

When Pyrex does break, it tends to go quite dramatically.

It isn't bulletproof.

Scratches act as "stress concentrators" potentially multiplying many-fold any stresses on (and in) the piece.

If you can see scratches - bin it. You don't want to see what can happen.

Don't put cold stuff into a hot Pyrex dish.

And the other way round, don't set a hot dish on a cold or wet surface! (My guess as to the cause of many of these problems.) Set it on a wooden board, or somesuch.

But, hey, it should be absolutely ideal for using a flame to finish a creme brulée... really.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Interesting. We have a number of Pyrex [and similar] glass items in use in the kitchen. Useful equipment.

I have an approximately two inch long scar arcing along the side of my hand and up onto my small finger, imparted by a flying fragment of a Pyrex jug which exploded in my hand a couple of years ago. The jug bore no noticeable scratches at the time, was not being and had not been previously mistreated. Numerous stitches and messy blood loss were involved. This didn't happen to my sister's friend's aunty Jean, it happened to me. Stuff happens.

Glass, even competently tempered, can retain internal stress sometimes sufficient to cause breakage from causes so vanishingly small as to appear spontaneous, even years after manufacture. This was explained to me by the manager of a reputable art-glass manufacturer, whose team were at that time crafting a replacement for a piece which had cloven itself after a decade or so of sitting peacefully on a shelf.

I'd torch the brulee with care but not much concern.