• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Honolulu Cafe - Kingsway

Panda

Worst case scenario at a restaurant, you find something disgusting in your food. Today I got some take-out from Honolulu, baked seafood on rice, baked seafood spaghetti, seafood fried rice and an egg and cheese sandwich.

All of it was pretty good and after finishing most of the spaghetti, my sister who was picking out the mushrooms for me picked something that wasn't a mushroom. It was a cockroach. She calmly said "Oh, a cockroach." Me and my mom thought she was joking until she blotted the sauce off and revealed our unwelcome guest. This was right after I had put a spoonful of fried rice into my mouth, bad timing. My immediate reaction was to spit everything out. There was some screaming, no tears although I was crying on the inside.

We called them right away and took back the food. They apologized and gave a full refund along with a bag of Valentine Hershey Kisses. Despite this I don't think I'll be able to eat there again. Not sure if I'm being too sensitive about this but for those who think this is as gross as I do you might want to avoid going for a while.

Oh and sorry, I didn't take a picture. I was trying my best at this point not to throw-up and taking a macro shot of the guy would've had me running to the toilet.

604-675-3800

That's the number for Vancouver Coastal Health's food inspectors. You should report this so the problem gets dealt with.

This reminds me of an experience long ago (~15 years ago), at a local hole in the wall cafe. Squeezed some ketchup on to my fries, and out popped a cockroach.

I reported it and was pleased with the response. The restaurant was cleaned up, is still in business.

I've never returned though, I've called it the 'cockroach cafe' ever since.

Yeah, I'll be calling them tomorrow morning. If they aren't open I'll try again on Monday. Thanks for posting the number, I won't have to look it up now.

I've never had the experience of a cockroach actually in food but I do vividly remember sitting in a long-gone Japanese resto on Robson watching several of the little fellas cruise up and down the wall behind my dining partner. Having spent a lot of time in Latin America where the critters are rather more prevalent I did not react with as much concern as said dining partner when she saw them :laugh: but I still did not return...

nice choice of dishes, panda. i like getting those (at other hk-style cafes). i haven't been to honolulu on kingsway in ages...is that the one that's in the same strip mall complex as london drugs? i've always thought that the cambodian/vietnamese restaurant across from honolulu cafe was the danger zone. it's open 24 hours, and looks like they never clean the floor. yuck. it's ironic that you find the cockroach in the somewhat cleaner-looking restaurant across from it.

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

They don't seem to have a wonderful record on the health front. Here is a recent report on them: http://www.foodinspectionweb.vcha.ca/Inspe...A8-005004AE1145

Some quotes:

Chicken thighs thawing under running cold water were strained over a container with sliced carrots.
Raw chicken and beef stored at room temperature were placed in the cooler at the time of inspection.
Mouse droppings were noted in the staff washroom and in the storage area near this washroom.

Seems the previous inspection didn't help much consider your awful experience there.

Glad to hear it - pest infestations are indicative of overall unsanitary conditions.

There's also an online form and email address here:

http://www.vch.ca/environmental/contact.htm

Thanks for the link, I tried calling but as expected they're closed on the weekends. I filed a complaint online and asked for them to contact me for more details.

nice choice of dishes, panda. i like getting those (at other hk-style cafes). i haven't been to honolulu on kingsway in ages...is that the one that's in the same strip mall complex as london drugs? i've always thought that the cambodian/vietnamese restaurant across from honolulu cafe was the danger zone. it's open 24 hours, and looks like they never clean the floor. yuck. it's ironic that you find the cockroach in the somewhat cleaner-looking restaurant across from it.

Yeah, that's the one. The place doesn't look like a questionable place to eat, guess you really can't tell.

I would've much rather seen it on the floor than in the food. I was joking with my sister that it would've been funny if we had actually ate there. Then the other patrons would've seen me screaming and spitting. Not to mention my mom's gagging noises.

Edited by Panda (log)

Hi! I'm Panda's sister who discovered the cockroach. My name is.... Beast

I enjoy the baked seafood on rice too much to give it up. In fact. I'm eating it right  now.  :raz:

i guess some people love their protein, no matter what the source...

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

Hi! I'm Panda's sister who discovered the cockroach. My name is.... Beast

I enjoy the baked seafood on rice too much to give it up. In fact. I'm eating it right  now.  :raz:

This is some sort of joke, right?

Cockroach in the food and you took it home?

To eat?

WTF?

The first time it was already in our home, because as Panda and prasantrin stated, it was "take out". If you're asking why I would eat there again, I didn't technically eat at the same place. Though I am a beast I wouldn't eat there again so soon... maybe in the future. I went to the location on Main and 25th, which actually looks more unsanitary as it is in the heart of East Vancouver. I told the lady working there about my experience with the cockroaches and she apologized and assured that the Main location undergoes biweekly pest control. Not quite sure if I buy it though. Regardless, this is the place where I will get my baked seafood on rice from now on. I usually order it with no mussels because I know they don't take the time to clean them properly. I'll continue to eat there until I find a cockroach. After that I'll move onto Angel Cafe on Fraser.

Edited by Beast (log)