• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seeking local pro-foie gras speaker

Ok,

Last week I had to pull a donation from a charity auction for my law school (the money goes to students who choose to go into public interest law rather than make lots of money). The reason was that two students were offended that the donated item was a dinner that included foie gras. I'm not going to go into the details, but it was expected to bring about $2500 for the public interest fund. I tried to be the better person and turn the other cheek to the self-righteousness of the protesters. I didn't cause a big fuss, I didn't try to make them look stupid for their self-defeating, poorly-aimed, convenient self-righteousness.

Now, to add insult to injury, one of the students has invited Alderman Moore to speak to the school next Wednesday. I don't want this to be a one sided venture- after all these are still malleable future lawyers that will have the power to bring this stupid law to other parts of the country and will be involved in its enforcement here in Chicago.

Is there an intelligent, logical, and vocal member of the community that can come in to shine light on the absurdity of the law? Is there someone who can successfully champion the right to sell foie in restaurants?

I hope we can find someone to help.

Thanks,

OL

I don't know who could champion that cause, but if you find that person I would love to buy them a round or two at The Violet Hour. One good donation deserves another.

Toby Maloney

Edited by Alchemist (log)

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

One person to consider asking is Ariane Daguin of D'Artagnon. She is level-headed, well-spoken and a staunch defender of foie gras, who happens to be extremely knowledgeable with first hand experience of the subject.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

One person to consider asking is Ariane Daguin of D'Artagnon. She is level-headed, well-spoken and a staunch defender of foie gras, who happens to be extremely knowledgeable with first hand experience of the subject.

I concur with this, although she is 1) definitely someone with a vested interest, and 2) in New York.

You might contact the Illinois Restaurant Association, which sued the city over this ban. They can surely suggest someone.

Other possibilities: Bryan Scott Oedzes is an animal agriculture lobbyist who works with the North American Foie Gras Association and the American Veal Association (but he's also based in the East). The Artisan Farmers Alliance represents foie gras duck farmers.

On the other hand, you could invite Mayor Daley, who denounced the ban as silly, to talk about just what legislators ought to do with their time instead of grandstanding over laws like this one. And be sure to ask Moore to detail exactly what research he did before proposing this law.

Moore has not visited a farm where ducks are raised for foie gras, he said. (There are only two producers in the United States.) He got his information on the treatment of the ducks, he said, from In Defense of Animals: "They have a Web site." IDA is an animal-rights group that advocates veganism, a lifestyle that uses no animal products whatever. Its Web site displays duck photos that appear to have been carefully chosen for their repellent qualities. Similar Web sites, such as http://www.all-creatures.org/anex/index.html , will show you equally stomach-turning photos of pigs, chickens and cattle.

Asked if he had considered the practices involved in raising these animals for food, Moore said, "Quite frankly, I don't have any specific information about it.

"I love a good, juicy steak," he commented. (More)

LAZ