• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Divorce Cake?

ohmyganache

Anybody ever make or seen a divorce cake? We have a client that wants to buy one. We were thinking of doing a stacked cake with some sort of 'divorce' theme. Any ideas? Suggestions? Has any one ever even seen one?

Stephen W.

Pastry Chef/Owner

The Sweet Life Bakery

Vineland, NJ

Hmmm...I've never heard of a divorce cake before, but here are a few ideas off the top of my head:

1) Do a traditional wedding cake shape, but in opposite traditional colors - black fondant, for example.

2) Do a groom shaped cake that the ex-bride could cut into.

3) Something with a broken chain or shackles (??).

Sounds like fun!

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Just make it cost alot and have it be really complicated and annoying. If you can accomplish all of that, you will have pretty much done your job.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I guess it depends on how the client feels :wink:

I love the ball and chain idea... make a broken link in the chain and have the ball positioned at some distance away dragging part of the chain

You could put dollar signs all over it to either represent the amount of money it cost, or what they would save by being out of the marriage; or look at their wedding cake (get a description if possible) and just do half of it. I mean literally make a stacked cake and cut it in half (all that stuff about two becoming one...now the one becomes two....)

There's a wedding cake somewhere online with iced letter cookies spelling out JUST MARRIED on two of the tiers. Spell out JUST DIVORCED in bright colors.

Make a replica of a marriage certificate and "tear" it in two.

Make a whimsy bride and groom sugar "figurine" and depending on which one your client is, have one spouse pushing the other over the side of the cake....

Just make it cost alot and have it be really complicated and annoying. If you can accomplish all of that, you will have pretty much done your job.

That pretty much covers it from what I remember. :laugh:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

How about a tiered cake that looks like it's split in half? Woman standing on one half, guy on the other. If it's a divorce where the woman got everything (don't they always?), you could put a lot of little symbolic items on her side of the cake, like a little house, the car, the dog, the kids, and nothing on his half. Heh Heh Heh.

Or you could do a tiered cake where she's sitting happily on top (or he is) and the other one is sitting/lying on the bottom tier as though they've tumbled off...... :laugh:

I remembered reading something about a celebrity having a divorce party. I found it on People.com. Here's an excerpt:

The highlight of the evening came at dinner, when the Bellagio's Fix restaurant brought out a "divorce cake" for Shanna Moakler. The three-tiered cake featured a miniature knife-wielding blonde in a wedding dress on top, with a trail of blood leading to a tiny groom sprawled at the bottom.

edited to add link to picture: http://www.celebsource.org/travis-barker/s...s-divorce-cake/

...I'm not so sure it's what you're looking for.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Or you could make it kind of cathartic for the (ex)spouse in question and make the cake with an untouched ball and chain which they would then cut to serve (ah free at last!). Or you could go for something even more bitter and put the ball and chain on top of an image of their marriage license, two birds with one stroke.

Anybody ever make or seen a divorce cake?  We have a client that wants to buy one.  We were thinking of doing a stacked cake with some sort of 'divorce' theme.  Any ideas?  Suggestions?  Has any one ever even seen one?

Toba Garrett has one in her cake book, the piping says Glorious Divorce. I think it should be whatever the celebrant wants -- ie goodbye to making compromises and making way for another person's likes and dislikes!

This reminds me however of a party we threw when we were just out of college -- it was for all the dateless singles like us on valentines' day. My best friend and I planned it so there was a pasta bar and an ice cream bar -- nothing "had to go together" and you could match up whatever you wanted.

I would get more information from the customer before proceeding. How s/he feels about the divorce will help determine what kind of cake you make.

I've never been divorced (nor married), but some of the ideas have a hint of bitterness. I understand that divorce can bring a whole lot of bitterness, but I, too, think it might be best to focus on the bright side of things. Something like a tiered cake with a bird flying from a next as the topper, or a butterfly emerging from a cocoon. Tepee once did a fabulous cake with a Louis Vuitton purse on it--it would be cute if it were an open purse with money falling out (which could symbolize the cost of the divorce or the settlement she got), or it could also symbolize that she's free to do whatever she wants with her money now.

If this couple have kids I would maybe try and keep away from the slayed partner theme, tho I love the imagery of the cake above linked by atcake.

People have often been arguing for quite a while by the time they get divorced, maybe some zen like calm images, perhaps something to symbolise moving from negative energy to positive energy.

We always said that if this idea took hold we'd (cakers) all be millionaires.

But umm, I had an idea, maybe a happy colorful upbeat cake that looks like a giant slice/serving of cake with a big bite out of it. Or one of those really cool cupcake looking cakes that has a big bite out of it. And the bite could be kinda dramatic, real toothy with maybe some piping gel drips like saliva type ravenous tornadic bite marks. An action packed bit mark like.

I had a girlfriend that when she got divorced bought a gold band that she wore on her middle finger. We went out for an ice cream cake. Two girls, two spoons and no box. I would ask the client for more info. If I were the client, I would do whatever cake I wanted for me without worrying who else wants what. Mine would be brightly colored and probably all deep dark chocolate. The more chocolate the better when celebrating a breakup IMO. :raz:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I remembered reading something about a celebrity having a divorce party. I found it on People.com. Here's an excerpt:

The highlight of the evening came at dinner, when the Bellagio's Fix restaurant brought out a "divorce cake" for Shanna Moakler. The three-tiered cake featured a miniature knife-wielding blonde in a wedding dress on top, with a trail of blood leading to a tiny groom sprawled at the bottom.

edited to add link to picture: http://www.celebsource.org/travis-barker/s...s-divorce-cake/

...I'm not so sure it's what you're looking for.

brilliant :laugh:

"look real nice...............wrapped up twice"

There's a picture of one in the Feb. 11 Time magazine. 3-tier white wedding cake, splitting in half. The angry bride is standing on top, and the groom is falling down the side of the cake, along with all of his possessions (clothing, basket balls, golf clubs, etc.). There are also a few broken hearts in there for good measure. It's hard to tell what some of the decorations are made of . . some of them may be cookies.