• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gourmet Spot Durham/Wannabe's

I came accross this place from sugarvine

http://www.gourmet-spot.co.uk/

Looks interesting. But you know when a restaurant just craves for a star, and try really hard. I am not saying it is a bad thing, coz if this place was nearer me, I'd go. I get a bit fed up with Michelin stars being the be all and end all, there is more to restaraunt life. But at those prices, I'd want to sit in a dining room a bit more welcoming. However, I'm keen to see if anyone has been, as the north east has few top places to eat.

There was a place up the road from me, the Linen Room in Dumfries which was a similar place, the chef has left now, don't know where he has gone, but that little place looked promising too. I'm sure there are quite a few places like this all over the country, they just need a bit more recognition.

The horse and trumpet near my perents is another one

http://www.horseandtrumpet.com/

Any other worthy wannabe's?? Or "Rising stars"

Bloody michelin!

don't know how good the food is but the name would put me off anyway.

in a village nearby someone took a perfectly decent old pub and re-named it 'the gastro house' and to compound misery painted 'gastro' across the front of the property diagonally in huge letters.

Suprisingly it's no longer going.

you don't win friends with salad

We're going to do 'Gourmet Nights' later in the year, probably with advertising based around the whole Fawlty Towers episode. Either an amusing stab at self-deprecation and irony or a car crash waiting to be beaten with a stick, I can't decide which.

Naming something 'gourmet' or 'gastro' is like naming it 'THe Best restaurant'...just giving the reviewers an easy opening line.

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

Cut and pasted from the Gourmet Spot website

'For those major “foodies” who have waited patiently for Sean’s “Surreal Menu”, the experimentation is complete and on the menu. Be prepared to be shocked!'

I think I'll pass thanks.........

the chef at this place seems more confused than scooby doo!!!

Cannon of lamb, cauliflower and beetroot panacotta, confit potato

i would say making a warm panacotta with the same texture would be very difficult, wont the cream melt when heated above 37 degrees , this gut is trying too hard and prob not going 2 get anywhere 2 aa rosettes maybe

Edited by ben mcmayon (log)

Look am not proud of it but I saw their food on that bloke who plays Lilly Savage show on Channel 4.

Sorry to be too sniffy, but they had frozen a sorbet into a hollow ball using Nitrogen a technique Moto developed in Chicago that is on youtube under the 'taste3 festival' and had served it with alginate caviar. There wasn't any mention of the fact these weren't their innovations. But if they can sell it in Durham good for them.

But beyond that their logo, name and website that was enough to my gums ache.

Edited by adey73 (log)

We're going to do 'Gourmet Nights' later in the year, probably with advertising based around the whole Fawlty Towers episode.

Are you going to do duck?

:D

of the 'a l'orange' variety I'm sure! We could make it a whole seventies theme evening I guess, profiteroles and proper Prawn Cocktails...

Oh dear!

In my Durham student days, Vennels Cafe was the place to be seen. Their banoffee pie was absolutely to die for.

I understand the whole city has got a bit fancypants since then.

There's a very good (bibbed) restaurant in Masham called 'Vennels'. WOnder if its the same people?

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

i heard of gourmet spot through the restaurant magazine and looked it up on sugar vine they have hundreds of reader reviews i have nt seen any other restaurant with this many customer write ups. also saw the dessert mentioned won restaurant mag dessert of the year. very advanced techniques i hope it all comes together well. good luck to them

i heard of gourmet spot through the restaurant magazine and looked it up on sugar vine they have hundreds of reader reviews i have nt seen any other restaurant with this many customer write ups. also saw the dessert mentioned won restaurant mag dessert of the year. very advanced techniques i hope it all comes together well. good luck to them

Me being cynical again but there were so many reviews on their website from around the same period and all absolutely gushing.

If they are for real then brilliant - as you say good luck to them..

Cut and pasted from the Gourmet Spot website

'For those major “foodies” who have waited patiently for Sean’s “Surreal Menu”, the experimentation is complete and on the menu. Be prepared to be shocked!'

I think I'll pass thanks.........

If surreal is not your thing they do a 'normality menu'.

Seen the chef prepare the award winning dessert on Market Kitchen, and it looked ok, it is called 'Tea and Toast', wonder where he gets his inspiration ( another clue 'molecular gastronomy' is mentioned a few times on the website).

They do have a strange blurb regarding what they are about, moving from the predictable "we use organic seasonal...", to letting us know we will also be served syringes and test tubes???

If I am in the area I will give it a go.