• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Year of the Rat

judsg

Don't know where you are in NJ, but Chengdu 1 in Cedar Grove has a great New Year's menu...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Penanag, even though it is Malayasian, has special Chinese New Years Dishes, as well as an appetizer that is a lot of fun.

The restaurant sets up a big altar in the corner, and on the many levels are different dishes with different foods/spices/flavors.

The wait person gets the cold part of the app. from the kitchen, goes to the altar and takes a little from every plate. It is then brought to your table, where all the flavors are mixed together by everyone at the table. As you use your chopsticks to mix all the ingredients you say out loud your wishes for the New Year....

Great fun...

http:/www.etuinc.com

Went to Chengdu I. Their special menu is for groups of 4 or more. ($168 for 4)

We were only 3 and not that hungry.

Had cold spicy chicken as appetizer and then twice cooked pork and abalone ($19.95) and a deep fried whole fish ($19.95).

Delicious! :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...