• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Cutlery

Schielke

ron johnson, thanx for bringing up the magnetic strip, as i've been thinking about buying one. couple'a questions:

doesn't one risk bruising the tip against the wall when grabbing the knife?

doesn't one risk likewise bruising the edge?

or will there be no such problems if the strip is thick enough (like, say, 1")?

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

I have a magnetic strip that is screwed to the wall above the countertop but below the overhead cabinets.  It comfortably holds all my blades in a nice row where I can easily tell which is which and reach for the one I require. This method of storage also insures that other objects do not bang into my knives and that they stay clean and dry.  It works for me.

One thing to watch with magnetic strips is the strength of the magnet. I have 3 - one of which seems to have the right strength and securely holds my tools without skewing them, two of them, however, do not have sufficient magnetic strength to hold even lightweight tools. My daughter has one which is so strongly magnetized that it practically grabs even a 10 inch heavy weight chef's knife right out of your hand and all her knives seem to end up skewed on the board - they do not remain in a vertical position. Where are the physicists when you need them!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks for the warning Dave. But I would love to know why, after I carefully hang my daughter's knives symmetrically on her "grabber" I look at them half an hour later and they are all adrift - it's quite creepy!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog