• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Johnson County and beyond...

I'm a Northerner, through and through. And, though I do make it down to JoCo once in a while for some whatnot (Whole Foods, Chinese at Jen Jen's, etc.), 40 Sardines at 119th and Roe is about as far as I get.

Now, I know there's a whole new world south of there - especially clustered at the 135th latitude. I'd love to get some suggestions on places to eat down there.

I know there's One Bite, at 133rd. There's Nick and Jake's, and even a Bo Ling's. What else?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

If you get to Olathe....

I have been going to Mariscos Veracruz just South of the JoCo Jail on Kansas Ave.

Lots of seafood, tacos, tortas, stews. The tacos are very similar to Taconazzo in that they are served on two soft corn tortillas. I don't have a menu, but they have cabeza, carnitas, chicken, beef (shredded), and fish.

They serve Mexican coke. Although their hours are stated as open until 9, I have been there on a couple of early Monday evenings to find them closed. I highly recommend this place.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

They serve Mexican coke. Although their hours are stated as open until 9, I have been there on a couple of early Monday evenings to find them closed. I highly recommend this place.

Okay, I'm going to humor myself and ask - what is "Mexican coke?"

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Coke made in Mexico of course. No corn syrup.

Not typically a carbonated beverage consumer: I didn't know that! Straight sugar, then?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I recommend visiting Cassis in the Town Center Plaza. It's in close proximity to 40 Sardines, and has the same caliber of food. I had a great meal there last summer.

http://www.cassiskc.com/

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

I recommend visiting Cassis in the Town Center Plaza. It's in close proximity to 40 Sardines, and has the same caliber of food. I had a great meal there last summer.

http://www.cassiskc.com/

Ndy, yes, thanks, I have been to Cassis. I'm looking for something new - closer to the 135th corridor. However, Kaiyo still alludes me. Any reports from that sushi-ya?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I'm a huge fan of Haru Sushi (Blue Ridge Blvd & State Line) and everyone that I know of that have dined there come back with great reviews. My favorite is still the Spicy Tuna on Hot Crispy Rice. Any of the lunch combination plates are a good deal for about $15...I always get the Spicy Combo which gives you 3 options and I seem to usually get the octopus, tuna, and salmon.

Somewhere in Lenexa is suppose to be a new frozen custard shop opening up and they are goign to feature shatto dairy products in their recipes.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

We have enjoyed Taj Grocer's Chaat Corner at 148th and Metcalf several times. Chaat dishes are Indian snack food, similar to tapas or mezze, but most are substantial enough to be considered lunch for us. The people who own it are great and the food is quite good and very inexpensive.

We have enjoyed Taj Grocer's Chaat Corner at 148th and Metcalf several times. Chaat dishes are Indian snack food, similar to tapas or mezze,  but most are substantial enough to be considered lunch for us. The people who own it are great and the food is quite good and very inexpensive.

Do they sell Indian groceries, too? Or, is that just a name-play?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

UE, I should have added this yesterday. Check out Chosun Korean at 127th and Metcalf. Nice folks, good food. I like the steak bibembap (sp) served in a hot stone bowl with rice, beef, and veggies. Really good on a cold day. Zeemanb gave it a quick review in another thread.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

UE, I should have added this yesterday. Check out Chosun Korean at 127th and Metcalf.  Nice folks, good food. I like the steak bibembap (sp) served in a hot stone bowl with rice, beef, and veggies. Really good on a cold day. Zeemanb gave it a quick review in another thread.

Oh man, that Soon Tofu dish is a killer. I only make it out to the neighborhood about once a week now, so next time I'm stocking up. I bought some Korean chile powder the other day just so I can try making it at home. All of the recipes online say you have GOT to use the Korean powder to get the flavor right. Seriously, best restaurant dish I've had in a while.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

We have enjoyed Taj Grocer's Chaat Corner at 148th and Metcalf several times. Chaat dishes are Indian snack food, similar to tapas or mezze,  but most are substantial enough to be considered lunch for us. The people who own it are great and the food is quite good and very inexpensive.

Do they sell Indian groceries, too? Or, is that just a name-play?

Yes, there is a nicely stocked grocery market attached to the cafe. There is also, at least recently, a womens boutique, for Indian party clothes. The cafe becomes a disco on weekend nights, with Bollywood movies, music and dancing.

Edited by maftoul (log)

" . . . and beyond" ??? The beyond half of this topic should be on The Southeast forum :raz:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

" . . . and beyond" ???  The beyond half of this topic should be on The Southeast forum :raz:

Let me guess, everything west of Topeka is Colorado too? :raz:

Fortune Wok off of 135th and Quivira is really good Chinese. I haven't asked about an authentic menu but the standard dishes are really good. They have a pretty good lunch deal too.

Frog

" . . . and beyond" ???  The beyond half of this topic should be on The Southeast forum :raz:

Let me guess, everything west of Topeka is Colorado too? :raz:

Frog

You're close. I would say everything west of Lawrence, but the North Star should be included in the republic of Kansas :cool:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher