• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birthday dinner in NYC

grumpy7

Looking for suggestions for a moderately priced place for a birthday dinner for a 10-year old boy, who is relatively sophisticated as far as kids go, and a few adults. Preferably Manhattan. Some place with decent food, but welcoming for kids and will do something like a special cake, for the child. Not a chain. His first choice was Cite, but apparently it's closed.

Thanks.

Blue Ribbon Bakery might be a good bet. Tremendous variety of dishes, including unbelievable bread pudding that I'm sure they'd be willing to stick a candle in for you.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

My 10th birthday was spent at a fancy restaurant in Belgium where i was the only child and was startled by the fact that the Zsa Zsa Gabor look a like on the table next to us was not only wearing about $1000000 worth of diamonds (or so it seemed to my 10yr old mind) but had her lap dog sat up on a chair and was feeding him FOIE GRAS from her fork! For that reason I agree with comments like Union Sq cafe or maybe somewhere like River Cafe where the brooklyn bridge chocolate deesert would be great for a 10yr old as a birthday treat and would truly make them feel grown up...

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

For my twelfth birthday or so I went out (to lunch) to Union Square Cafe.  It was probably the first Big City meal I can remember and most likely a definitive moment in my life.  It's a good spot for that kind of thing.

I agree. USC or Gramercy Tavern. I enjoyed many special occasions at both when I was a kid.

I took my four children, ages 6, 8, 11, and 13 to Union Square Cafe last year, and they absolutely loved it. They don't have a children's menu, but they'll accommodate you. The 10 year old may end up just getting an appetizer or two. I highly recommend it.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites