• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Commercial stick blender

DerekW

Having sworn off home-use stick blenders years ago, weary of feeble little motors which whined and smelled of overheating, I'm deep in the middle of soup season, and remembering the convenience factor of blending in the pan.

Maybe not fondly enough to buy another underpowered toy though. Our regular blender is a second hand Vita-mix, and that thing is a workhorse, but a batch of soup can easily be three beakers full.

Does anyone use a small commercial stick blender at home - maybe something like the 12 inch Waring? - I know that I don't need a double-handed 40 gallon concrete mixer.

Your experiences, good or bad, and recommendations please.

Having sworn off home-use stick blenders years ago, weary of feeble little motors which whined and smelled of overheating, I'm deep in the middle of soup season, and remembering the convenience factor of blending in the pan.

Maybe not fondly enough to buy another underpowered toy though. Our regular blender is a second hand Vita-mix, and that thing is a workhorse, but a batch of soup can easily be three beakers full.

Does anyone use a small commercial stick blender at home - maybe something like the 12 inch Waring? - I know that I don't need a double-handed 40 gallon concrete mixer.

Your experiences, good or bad, and recommendations please.

JBPrince.com has the smallest "graduating" to the biggest blenders available for commercial use. You can view what you are looking for and get the specks on that site i believe. Their products are usually top shelf and the company is very reputable as i have used them for many things in the past. As for a small stick blender, i use one at work that is a BRAUN and that too is a workhorse but im not sure if they have intermediate sizes available. The one i use is small but it gets jobs done. Much luck :)

I've got the Waring at home, and I really like it--it is a workhorse. If I could magically change it, though, I'd love for it to be cordless.

And, if I could grow a few inches, I think it would be a little easier to use. :raz: Of course, I can't really blame Waring for that!

Edited by onehsancare (log)

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

I've actually got a Kitchenaid immersion blender (model KHB-200) they don't make this model anymore but the only difference between it and the ones they do make use the included accessories. I find it it is very powerful and I have had no problem mixing anything with it. Another nice feature is that it separates into two pieces so the business end can be easily washed. Even though it's not a commercial unit it does the job for me.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

In my experience, Bamix makes the best and most durable home-use-sized stick blenders, by a healthy margin.

Agreed

I'll third the Bamix and add another vote for the Waring. I have both and switch between them on a regular basis.

Also, I recently received a Viking immersion blender and it has been performing very well

Gear nerd and hash slinger

I do have a commercial stick blender - made by Dynamic and it will work to the bottom of a 16 or 20 quart stockpot.

I recently saw one on ebay that sold for $135.00, which is a fifth of the regular price.

It has the advantage that if one bangs up the business end, the shaft and blades can be switched out for new. One can also get a whisk and possibly other things to stick on it.

When I bought it, at a restaurant supply, they had a brochure showing it with a couple of other attachments. It also comes with a longer cord than the ones for home use.

I had a Bamix years ago but after dropping it a couple of times, it died.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have a Bamix that I got a few years ago based on recommendations here in the eG Forums. It's been fine, but I don't give it hard use compared to a commercial environment. It will work to a depth of almost 11 inches because the shaft and housing are sealed.

I have seen brand name/store brand immersion blenders that look like the Bamix, and may have come out of the same plant, but when I have gotten into the details, they turned out to be less powerful.

I've actually got a Kitchenaid immersion blender (model KHB-200) they don't make this model anymore but the only difference between it and the ones they do make use the included accessories.  I find it it is very powerful and I have had no problem mixing anything with it.  Another nice feature is that it separates into two pieces so the business end can be easily washed.  Even though it's not a commercial unit it does the job for me.

I have the same one and it works great for my purposes. Mine came with the attachments, and surprisingly, they have come in very handy.

Obviously this is not a commercial product, but unless you are making soup in a 20 qt. pot, I can't imagine that it wouldn't be sufficient for a home cook. I also appreciate the ease of clean up - the bottom part goes right in the dishwasher. Just my .02.

Last October I posted about just such a problem.

I ended up buying the "Dynamic Mini Blender" from JB Prince and I'm quite happy with it.

It cost many times what a home model does, but I am able to blend a heavy ganache with this puppy and while it warms up a bit it does the job. I am certain that any home model would have burned out in thirty seconds.

Another vote for Bamix. I use it to do whatever a blender is supposed to do. I threw my blender away after I bought it. Crushes ice, chops nuts, whips cream, liquifys soup.

Very strong.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

I have a Taurus immersion blender that I bought about 20 years ago and is still going strong! I would like to a have one that is more powerful, but this one won't die!

There is a Wolfgang Puck blender listed here:

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Wolfg...38/product.html

probably not as powerful as you might want, but the price looks good. It also looks like the Viking model.

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

I have a Taurus immersion blender that I bought about 20 years ago and is still going strong!  I would like to a have one that is more powerful, but this one won't die!

probably not as powerful as you might want, but the price looks good.  It also looks like the Viking model.

Bob R in OKC

I have that Wolfgang Puck blender for light jobs. It works just fine.

I measured the shaft on the Dynamic I have and it is 16 inches long - that does not include the handle. It is much heavier and I really need two hands to operate it. The cord is a heavy duty cord and is ten feet long. (I have an electrical socket over the cooktop, at one end of the exhaust hood, and some hooks to keep the cord from drooping into the stockpot.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have a Taurus immersion blender that I bought about 20 years ago and is still going strong!  I would like to a have one that is more powerful, but this one won't die!

probably not as powerful as you might want, but the price looks good.  It also looks like the Viking model.

Bob R in OKC

I have a slightly different Wolfgang Puck immersion blender- its the same wattage, just a little different style. I've been very happy with it- I just used it to make homemade soymilk this afternoon, and was pleasantly surprised at how there wasn't any waste to speak of, as it processed the cooked beans finely enough to pass through an extremely fine reusable gold coffee filter. I'm making ricemilk right now, and its handling processing the thick rice mixture with no problems, and that's with very little extra water added yet (because somehow I always forget how much rice swells up & how starchy it is compared to other grain or bean based milks-lol). I picked my WP immersion blender up at Big Lots before Christmas- and I liked it so much that when I saw one on markdown for $15 after Christmas, I picked up a spare....some days in the kitchen its just nice to have a clean processing head to switch out to.