• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crostini/Bruschetta Ideas Needed Please

jvalentino

Ok maybe not technically crostini OR bruschetta but...

As a party snack I like to grill some Italian bread slices rub them with some garlic, and top with the usual suspects (pesto, fresh mozz, tapenade etc). I'm trying to think of some new ideas, and any help would be appreciated. I'd like to give 3 choices or so.

I'm making a green salad, homemade bread, spaghetti w/ meatballs, Rao's Lemon Chicken (from the cookbook), roasted potatoes, broccoli, and dessert for about 20.

Palates at the party will run the whole spectrum, so my main concern is that it can be done at least a little ahead of time, and will hold at room temp. FWIW I have some nice organic dried ceci beans, and a large jar of sundried tomatoes.

Thanks,

Jeff

Personally, I love sauteed chicken livers mixed with caramelized onion, roasted garlic, chopped sage leaves and deglazed with cognac. It might not hold up for as longas you'd like at room temperature, but it doesn't have to be very hot to taste good....

White beans with really good Italian tuna and fresh parsley is a favorite of mine

Thinly sliced beef with carmelized onions also

Fresh ricotta cheese with something sharp like the pesto or tapenade

I know I have more...TBC

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I also like Italian tuna (in oil) but I mix it with a coarse olive spread -- store bought if you can find a good one, or this is the recipe I use when I make it from scratch:

1 cup pitted kalamata olives

1/3 cup sliced green olives with pimento

½ cup roasted red peppers

Pulse these in a food processer, or chop fine. Add:

2 cloves garlic, minced

Juice of ½ a lemon

1 tablespoon capers

1 tablespoon minced shallot

1 pinch red pepper flakes

1 can light Italian tuna packed in olive oil, with the oil

For color you can top with a bit of parsley.

Another topping I like is a spread made with roasted red peppers and caramelized onions.

Oh god, I love an hors d'oeuvres base like garlicky crostini:

Blend chevre, some of those sundried tomatoes you have and chopped basil.

Make a creme fraiche, get some cold smoked tuna, serve thin slices on crostini spread with the creme and topped with a light soya drizzle. The smoked tuna will hold for a few hours at room temp.

A spread of cambozola with chopped dried figs, good balsamic.

If you can get your hands on some good grilled Merguez sausage, slice it thin and top with a bit of honey and a shaving of parmesan.

edited for spelling.

Edited by lauraf (log)

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

These are some great ideas! So many are sounding fantastic, I'm going to try the majority of these suggestions(although not all for this party).

I'm liking white beans, tuna,and the cambozola variations so far for the party, and would love to hear some more suggestions.

Thanks again,

Jeff

BTW, for your spaghetti and meatballs, you could puree those sundried tomatoes for a tomato sauce base, if you want. Recently, I've been pureeing a jar of sundried tomatoes with its oil and capers, plus some roasted garlic, chopped fresh basil and a bit of grated parmesan. It's fast, simple and sooo flavourful that you only need a bit with some really good pasta.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

For your garlic rubbed toasts:

In one pan, sautee some thinly sliced (washed) leeks in butter and let them cook slowly covered.

In another pan, crisp some cubed (or slivered) bacon and add it to the leeks. Then turn up the heat, add a cup of heavy cream, and after it has thickened, crumble in some goat cheese, stir through, and top the garlicky toasts.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Broil eggplants until the skin char. Cover the eggplants so that the steam softens the skin and you can peel them easily. Chop the eggplant pulp and mix with minced garlic, salt, pepper and a dash of white vinegar. Great topping for your bruschetta.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I made the Ceci Crostini from the Babbo cookbook last night, and it was delicious. You may want to try that.

It's basically chickpeas, EVOO, balsamic, black olive paste, rosemary, basil, garlic, and red pepper flakes. mix them together, and it's delicious!

A simple favorite I've made many times from Kleinman's and La Place's "Cucina Rustica" is one topped with bresaola and arugula. Whiz together room temperature unsalted butter (~ 1/2 cup) with a small bunch of coarsely chopped arugula. Spread on garlic crostini and top with thinly slice bresaola or Bundnerfleish (another cured and aged beef coldcut). I think this would work well with proscuitto as well.

Another good recipe from this little gem of a book is bruschetta made with a zucchini puree and topped with sun-dried tomatoes (packed in oil, drained and cut into strips). The zucchini puree has onions, garlic, basil and parsley.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

while thinking about the ceci i remembered the only way i could get johnnybird to eat lima beans. a spread of lima beans(frozen thawed or fresh cooked), olive oil, white pepper and rosemary in a food processor then a sprinkle of a coarse salt on the crostini that had been spread with the beans. he hates limas but will scarf this up.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

How about, Tonno di Coniglio (sp) bunny cooked like tuna.

simmer the rabbit in salted water for 2 hrs. Flake the meat off the bones and layer in a bowl with thyme sage and bay add sliced garlic and cover with olive oil. Leave in the fridge for a week and remove from fridge and allow to come to room temperature, serve on crostini/bruschetta with lemon or balsamic and of course S&P.

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

• 2 weeks later...

Coming a little late to the party, but had to throw in one of our favorites. First seen at Devil's Alley Bar & Grill in Philadelphia, recreated at home many times since.

Half melted cambozola, half fig jam (split down the middle of the slice, lengthwise) and topped with a caramelized walnut half. Sublime.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

• 10 years later...

Resurrecting this thread with a couple of ideas, both from Russell Norman's Polpo. The Cichèti chapter in the book has a lot of ideas for "stuff on toast".

Goat's cheese, Roasted Grape and Walnut Bruschette, recipe available online here (that link takes you to a multi-page excerpt from Polpo with several recipesThis recipe appears on pages 16-17 of that excerpt so you need to click the right arrow 8 times to get to it)

IMG_9028.thumb.jpg.7d390094fe59b064f3506f057aafdab5.jpg

Broad Bean, Mint and Ricotta Bruschetta, recipe available online here

IMG_9107.thumb.jpg.d3bcbfd3571fb8c8ffc0df9bcfdcf575.jpg

Edited by blue_dolphin
to fix link (log)
  • Like 9

And two more, also from Polpo

Top: Rocket and walnut pesto crostini.  Equal weights of arugula and walnuts go into the food processor with Parmesan, garlic, S&P and enough olive oil to make a spreadable paste.  I added the juice and zest of half a lemon to brighten it up. Since arugula is readily available for much of the year in my area, this is a nice pesto alternative when basil is out of season. 

IMG_9123.thumb.jpg.7be73bc3022a728637d47aa333854af2.jpg

Bottom: Anchovy and chickpea crostini.  This was one of those recipes I had to try. 10 anchovies + some of their oil go into the food processor with a single can of chickpeas, lemon juice, parsley, a little tahini and olive oil.  I thought it would be anchovy overkill but it was not. 

Both of these spreads can be made ahead and stored in the fridge or even freezer for longer term. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add chickpeas (log)
  • Like 8