• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Livers

mikeczyz

Dahi Wali Kalejee (Yogurt flavored livers)

1 pound chicken livers

Marinade:

2 tablespoons ghee

6 small cloves of garlic, ground into a paste with 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds

2 tablespoons finely minced cilantro leaves

1 jalapeno, minced finely

1 teaspoon freshly ground black peppercorn

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/4 teaspoon mace

Heat oven to 350?F.

Mix all the ingredients for the marinade in a baking dish.

Add the livers into the marinade and set aside for 30 minutes.

Place the dish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the livers are cooked. Baste a couple of times during the duration.

On a medium heat let some EVOO soften shallots and a bit of garlic in a skillet. Melt some anchovy. Boil some gnocchi or perhaps some conchiglie. About two minutes before the pasta is ready, add the chicken livers to the skillet and turn up the heat. Cook the livers on one side for about opne and a half minutes, the other side for half a minute. Add the gnocchi or pasta. Turn off the heat. Season. Add a touch of lemon and some chopped parsley.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

On another thread, they discussed something I that I always heard called "rumaki."

You take something - shrimp, water chestnuts, etc., wrap it up in in bacon, stick a toothpick through it, brush on some teriyaki sauce and broil. I usually include a piece of green onion or bell pepper as well.

This is also very good when made with chicken livers and a piece of pineapple.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Something similar to Jinmyo's:

Cut the livers apart and remove any dark spots, veins, or other gunk.

Saute some sliced onion and mushrooms until golden (in fat of your choice; butter, chicken, duck, goose, olive oil all work).

Add the livers and cook a couple of minutes until firm on the outside but still squishy inside.

Add a large splash of wine (your choice) and a little chicken stock. Turn up heat and reduce liquid, finish cooking livers. Lower heat and stir in some sour cream.

Season with Salt and pepper.

If desired, stir in some chopped fresh dill or parsley or both.

Serve over noodles or mashed potatoes.

I don't know how they were cooked, but many years ago (60's) I used to get fried chicken livers from Estelle's in the south end of Boston. Back then it was a black neighborhood with a few of us honkies. Those were the best chicken livers I ever had. It was a take-out and I'd go there a lot.

If there's any black folks on here maybe you could let us know how to cook chicken livers. I'd appreciate it.

Edit: I forgot to add that fried gizzards are pretty tasty too. Cut'em apart, clean them out and fry however you like to do it.

I don't know how they were cooked, but many years ago (60's) I used to get fried chicken livers from Estelle's in the south end of Boston. Back then it was a black neighborhood with a few of us honkies. Those were the best chicken livers I ever had. It was a take-out and I'd go there a lot.

If there's any black folks on here maybe you could let us know how to cook chicken livers. I'd appreciate it.

I'm not black, but most of my friends who are, fix fried chicken livers this way:

1 pound chicken livers

1 egg

1 C milk

1 C flour

1 t baking powder

seasonings: 1 t salt, pepper, prepared seasonings of some kind. One girlfriend uses something called, "Soul Seasoning" that she buys in a jar; several use Tony Cachere's creole seasoning, or other prepared cajun spice.

Beat egg with milk until just mixed.

Soak livers in egg mixture.

Combine dry ingredients in plastic baggie.

Drain livers and put into baggie with seasoned flour. Shake to coat well.

Fry in hot oil.

Serve immediately while hot and crispy. This is best when served with some kind of really good chicken gravy.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Jaymes, it looks like you're zeroing in on it. Thanks.

:rolleyes:

Here's what I do:

Drain them in colander, cut into smaller pieces (halves or thirds), season with salt and pepper, adobo or whatever works for you and then dredge in flour.

Saute in hot olive oil until nicely browned and set aside 9will ahve to saute in a few batches. Using same pan, cook a bunch of sliced green onions briefly and throw ina liberal amount of gsarlic until it's browned. Retturn livers to the same pan and add seeded, chopped plum tomatoies (fairly large pieces).

After a minute or two add a generous cup to cup and a half of liquid comprised of the following(which should be whisked before adding to the pan) - white balsamic vinegar, good quality soy sauce, honey and grated ginger and water. Stir thorougly into the liver mixture. I generally put a lid loosely over the pan for a couple minutes and add a spoon or two of golden rous to thicken the sauce just a tad.

Serve over rice. Steamed broccoli makes an excellent accompaniment to this dish. Sorry I don't have specific proprotions but I made this one up on the fly once and continue to do it by feel.

• 4 years later...

:wub::smile:

The old european way of cooking the livers is I find, my favourite. Just clean em up and rinse in cold water then pat dry with some kitchen paper. Saute a couple of onions (but don't let them get colour or it will go bitter) add some spring onions and a couple of cloves of garlic. set this aside and then add some ghee to the pan, add the livers and fry off until going brown about 5 mins, season to your taste then add back the onion mix and 1 cup of sherry ( or port ) and 2 hard boiled eggs chopped. Last thing, add a generous handful of chopped parsley my hungarian friend used to take the lot and put it in a ramekin to cool and then in the fridge overnight to set. It can be sliced to have on top of crusty bread...I chuck it all in the blender and then fridge it to set. as a variation, I also use mushrooms and or bacon from time to time, but my favourite right now is to add 1 tablespoon of fresh tarragon to the mix at the end....it is sublime :wub: enjoy!!

Mine would be cleaning the livers up and then wrapping it up with bacon strips. Pop into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the bacon is done and crispy. Delicious!

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Mine would be cleaning the livers up and then wrapping it up with bacon strips. Pop into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the bacon is done and crispy. Delicious!

I would do the same thing, except I would throw them on the grill.

Chicks dig wheelguns.

I'm not black, but most of my friends who are, fix fried chicken livers this way:

1 pound chicken livers

1 egg

1 C milk

1 C flour

1 t baking powder

seasonings: 1 t salt, pepper, prepared seasonings of some kind. One girlfriend uses something called, "Soul Seasoning" that she buys in a jar; several use Tony Cachere's creole seasoning, or other prepared cajun spice.

Beat egg with milk until just mixed.

Soak livers in egg mixture.

Combine dry ingredients in plastic baggie.

Drain livers and put into baggie with seasoned flour. Shake to coat well.

Fry in hot oil.

Serve immediately while hot and crispy. This is best when served with some kind of really good chicken gravy.

That's how I roll, except I use bacon fat.

Here's what I would do.

Sometime after dark take the chicken livers down to the river. Cut each one into 2 pieces and put each piece on a 2/0 circle hook, add about 1 oz of weight, lob them into the deepest spot you can find using a heavy fishing rod, and wait. You should be able to turn those couple lives into 5-10 lbs of catfish. Then you really have something to cook! :biggrin:

Any dish you make will only taste as good as the ingredients you put into it. If you use poor quality meats, old herbs and tasteless winter tomatoes I don’t even want to hear that the lasagna recipe I gave you turned out poorly. You're a cook, not a magician.

Here's what I would do.

Sometime after dark take the chicken livers down to the river.  Cut each one into 2 pieces and put each piece on a 2/0 circle hook, add about 1 oz of weight, lob them into the deepest spot you can find using a heavy fishing rod, and wait.  You should be able to turn those couple lives into 5-10 lbs of catfish.  Then you really have something to cook! :biggrin:

My preferred method. :laugh:

Anyone else here soak em in milk or water overnight, or is that just me?

I think that sweating some onions, garlic, in a pan with clarified butter, then adding the livers, and cook aggresively and get a nice sear on both sides. Deglaze with whatever alcohol you want--usually a cordial or fortified wine. Add a bit of veal demi, remi, redux chicken stock (whatever you have), reduce, then add a good amount of whole butter.

You can eat them whole, chop them up by hand (for use on a crostini or a filled pasta).

They are delicious. I also highly reccomend a good soak in milk--it seems to help remove some impurities (a la sweetbreads) and some of the more harsh "livery" flavor.

Good luck.

I like making a Frisee Aux Lardon with the livers. Fry up some bacon, flour and then fry the livers in the bacon fat, fry some eggs in the fat, then make a mustardy, warm vinagrette with what remains of the fat. Toss everything together with some frisee and eat.

PS: I am a guy.

Try this one....

Chicken Livers with Herbed Butter

1 kilo chicken livers, trimmed and washed

2 Tbsp. olive oil

salt and pepper to taste

3/4 cup butter

3 cloves garlic, minced

4 shallots or the white parts of 8 spring onions, chopped finely

4 Tbsp. each thyme and parsley, both chopped

2 Tbsp. Dijon style mustard

4 Tbsp. chives, snipped

2 Tbsp. lemon juice

pinch of cayenne pepper

snipped chives, for garnish

In a mixing bowl toss the chicken livers together with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

Melt the butter and stir in all of the remaining ingredients except the chives, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.

Skewer the chicken livers on bamboo or metal skewers and place them on an oiled grill above hot charcoals. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side, basting well with the herbed butter. Pour the remaining butter over the chicken livers to serve and garnish with the chives.