• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whole Wheat Pasta

Pam R

..., but now I wonder if it would be less icky in a dish that is less about the pasta. Like a cold pasta salad or a hearty soup.

smallworld,

The buckwheat Soba noodle from Japan is obviously excellent in cold salad. I like Soba both hot & cold- much better than WW.

I love soba but I've actually never tried soba in a cold salad. I know it's popular in some parts of the world but I'm used to eating soba Japanese style and it just seems weird to do anything else with it. I certainly don't consider it a pasta substitute.

I wonder if it would be less icky in a dish that is less about the pasta. Like a cold pasta salad or a hearty soup.

How is pasta salad any less about the pasta?

Um, it's got more stuff in it? OK, I'm not huge on pasta salads, but in my experience they just seem to have more distractions and are more of a harmonious mix of ingredients (pasta, dressing, chunks of stuff) than traditional hot pasta, which is just pasta dressed with sauce. Hope that makes sense...

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

I love soba but I've actually never tried soba in a cold salad. I know it's popular in some parts of the world but I'm used to eating soba Japanese style and it just seems weird to do anything else with it. I certainly don't consider it a pasta substitute.

smallworld, What is soba "Japanese style"?

I love the cold soba salads I've had here in the US, and I've had it in plenty of hot brothy dishes/soups. Of course it would not substitute under a bolognese, but as I said, I would choose to use a conventional pasta (good quality durum semolina) for that.

I am in the boat of not liking much wheat pasta but ....

the fettuccine by La Terra E Il Cielo is fantastic. I get it at a local small shop. I couldn't find a US link but here is a link to a page that shows you what the package looks like.

http://www.icampagnoli.eu/pasta.html

If you can find it, I highly recommend it. It's not tough at all but instead silky and velvety on the tongue with a wonderful nuttiness.

I'm actually surprised that so many people don't care for whole wheat pasta here- I really LIKE the Bionatura pastas. I especially adore the ones that are shaped like weird shells, almost a tube that wanted to become a shell. I also like Luigi Vitelli organic whole wheat Linguini, and Mishpacha is my last and least choice, but I do buy a LOT of their macaroni. I actually LIKE the hearty bite and wheaty flavor of these pastas! I prefer whole wheat pasta in a thicker linguine rather than a delicate angel hair or spaghetti, as well. Go figure!

I make a lot of chunky sauces, fresh tomatoes or other vegetables, lots of herbs, or olive oil and fish- and don't cook many meat or cream sauces, as a rule, so maybe my stronger flavored sauces do better with the whole wheat pastas than a traditional Amer/Italian red sauce or cream based one.

I've made sheets in the wind, basically thin sheets torn into pieces, with whole wheat mixed into the semolina. I served it tossed with rabe that had been sauteed in olive oil with garlic, capers and fresh floured and fried anchovies- and lots of Pecorino on the top. It was hard to work with the dough, but it tasted pretty good, earthy!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I'm actually surprised that so many people don't care for whole wheat pasta here- I really LIKE the Bionatura pastas. I especially adore the ones that are shaped like weird shells, almost a tube that wanted to become a shell. I also like Luigi Vitelli organic whole wheat Linguini, and Mishpacha is my last and least choice, but I do buy a LOT of their macaroni. I actually LIKE the hearty bite and wheaty flavor of these pastas! I prefer whole wheat pasta in a thicker linguine rather than a delicate angel hair or spaghetti, as well. Go figure!

I make a lot of chunky sauces, fresh tomatoes or other vegetables, lots of herbs, or olive oil and fish- and don't cook many meat or cream sauces, as a rule, so maybe my stronger flavored sauces do better with the whole wheat pastas than a traditional Amer/Italian red sauce or cream based one.

I've made  sheets in the wind, basically thin sheets torn into pieces, with whole wheat mixed into the semolina. I served it tossed with rabe that had been sauteed in olive oil with garlic, capers and fresh floured and fried anchovies- and lots of Pecorino on the top.  It was hard to work with the dough, but it tasted pretty good, earthy!

I may as well out myself as well. I prefer whole wheat macaroni and cheese to white pasta. As for other sauces, if I'm taking pasta to lunch or something it's usually jarred sauce and cheap dried pasta. I find most cheap dried pasta is pretty crappy, so I use the whole wheat. It isn't great, but it's a convenient way to get complex carbohydrates if I'm going to the gym later.

If it's fresh, I generally like white pasta better.